1:3 asg 29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael,

Nice clean install! Can't wait to see it at Sled!

Comment

Happy 4th of July!!! Thanks, Tim! Thanks for your input about this bird's set up, too! Flap horns and their respective slots were made, test fitted then epoxy and filler mix was used to install the horns. I put epoxy into the slots then added more epoxy to the horns. They were taped in place and the panels were flipped over while the epoxy mix cured. When this cured the push rods were set up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3162.JPG
Views:	436
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	27596Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3163.JPG
Views:	402
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	27597

Name:	IMG_3165.JPG
Views:	403
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	27598

More...

Comment

Stéphane posted a link to www.Gibbsguides.com in his ASW20 thread showing how to set the retract to operate on a separate battery. I couldn't get the image to copy so just drew another and took a photo to post here. On the 'Y' lead I just pulled the red pin out, folded it back and put heat shrink tubing on it. That's one more detail checked off the list! The aileron servos were installed into their bays. A weighted cable was used to pull a string through the wings so the servo extensions could be routed. This had to be done a total of six times! All connections were secured with EMS Safety Locks. They aren't found locally so The Model Box 2.0 is my 'go to' for these! Thanks Jeremy! Horns, slots and push rods were made just like for the flaps so nothing new there. The three servo leads per wing are ganged to these connectors from Electro Dynamics. They have a safety catch which has to be pressed in order to unplug them. The servo bay covers need to be fabricated (or the kit version might be modified). That is next. The kit horns will be installed along with their 'bulges' on the top surface of the wings since these are in 'scale' locations and if there happens to be a second owner of this model they will be free to revert to the kit design/configuration.

Name:	IMG_3170.JPG
Views:	441
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	27600Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3167.JPG
Views:	442
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	27601

Name:	IMG_3168.JPG
Views:	407
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	27602Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3164.JPG
Views:	397
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	27603

Name:	IMG_3169.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	27604Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3171.JPG
Views:	451
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	27605

Name:	IMG_3172.JPG
Views:	423
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	27606

Don't let the firecrackers get ya!

Comment

• Mark9
          Mark9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Mike, I fabricate my harnesses and extensions to each installation. Most of my supplies I get from Hansen Hobbies and they have the EMS style connector bodies and pins in various pin counts. They require different pins than the conventional RC connector body, so to use them the bodies and pins are required. It sure is nice to not have additional connectors in a cable run. Plus if I am trying to save weight I will run only one set of power leads and signal only for the servos. I have also run power directly to high draw servos and not used the receiver bus to supply them, all done with the custom wiring loom.

Last edited by Mark9; 07-05-2018, 12:18 PM.

• Swiss1
          Swiss1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank "You" Jelly!

• ARUP
          ARUP commented
          Editing a comment
          No, no, no, Jeremy... thank YOU!

Mark9- I used to fabricate servo extensions using those items but now I'm getting lazy in my old age! I just purchase 3" servo leads, cut them in half then 'add' more wire between the two ends. I have a bunch of male and female sockets with their corresponding pins all for $20 plus postage if ya want 'em! See the first pic on this post.

The ASG 29 build is winding down in the nick of time for Sled Works Aerotow. I hope I can have it ready. The blisters over the control horns were provided on one sheet. They are fiberglass. They were cut free using a Dremel and cut off wheel. They were trimmed and sanded to fit the wings as were the G10 horns. The wings were scuffed to give the epoxy 'tooth' and all the parts were put in place. All that is left, now, is to get the model balanced 80-88mm from the LE of the wing at the root per the instructions. It will take ~500g of Pb to balance it at 83mm. It will get put in after the tow release servo is set up. The Pb needs to be adjustable/removable for the time a pilot gets installed. I think the scale of this model is somewhere closer to 1:3.5 because the outer panels look like 18m version one and the model has a 5m span.

Name:	IMG_3178.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	27634Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3173.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	27635

Name:	IMG_3174.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	27636Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3175.JPG
Views:	401
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	27637

Name:	IMG_3176.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	27638Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3177.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	27639

Goodbye!

Comment

• Mark9
          Mark9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Your assembly is looking good Mike. Interesting how they made the fairings to totally enclose the linkage. I will take to pins and bodies if you don't plan to use them, I'll PM my address. When I get my 2CX I was going to take measurements and access my inventory for an order to Hansen. May need some more wire at least, the bir birds go through it quickly.

• ARUP
          ARUP commented
          Editing a comment
          Okay, Mark9... I will send them to you!

So Michael, where does the mahogany stain start to get applied?

Comment

• ARUP
          ARUP commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe... the storage box? lol

The tow release servo got mounted. The servo, horn fully forward, is 'closed' and travel is 14mm for fully open. The horn's position allows the servo to 'ramp up' torque before a load is felt. Epoxy was brushed into the fuselage to give the hook and loop better surface 'purchase'. With it the batteries won't slide fore, aft or side to side. The same thing was done for the receiver and satellites. Hook and loop strap was fixed one end and is used to capture the batteries. A storage box was fabricated and varnished. Dion...I ran out of time so didn't stain it!

Name:	IMG_3180.JPG
Views:	436
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	27713Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3181.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	27714

Name:	IMG_3182.JPG
Views:	426
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	27715

The box pic isn't very good. The wing servo bay covers need to be put on the model. They need to be slotted to clear the servo arms. Tomorrow the box will get blue foam inserts to hold the fuselage and wings. Stéphane is going to bring some servo lead extensions and help me set up the radio so that is all that is needed before test flying at Sled Works!

Comment

The storage/transport box is done! The model just needs servo bay covers and receiver hook up once some servo extensions are obtained. Then it will get stickers, seat pan (and a pilot, eventually) and a final balancing. The stabilizer, fuselage and inner wing panels are fit into the box first. The stab nestles into a friction fit 'bed' of blue foam on the floor of the box (not shown in pics) under the boom portion of the fuselage. The root ends of the inner panels fit into a mount which keeps them from moving fore or aft. Next, a blue foam 'horseshoe' fits over the rear fuselage and is located by the servo links to the horns on the wings. This just helps keep the wings oriented vertically chordwise and from rubbing on the fuselage. After this a removable plywood brace fits into slots on the sides of the box. This brace does the same for the outer panels as is done for the inner panels. The brace has retention pins (4-40 bolts) each end to keep the box sides from splaying outward. Another piece of blue foam keeps the tips from clashing. There is a holder for the wing joiner pin and the winglets (not shown) so that everything is contained within the box!

Name:	IMG_3185.JPG
Views:	396
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	28025Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3186.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	28026

Name:	IMG_3187.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	28027Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3188.JPG
Views:	431
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	28028

Adios amigos!

Comment

• BryanB
            BryanB commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice box MK.

Looks great Michael !

When will the maiden be ?

Comment

• ARUP
            ARUP commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi, Bob! Thanks! The maiden will be at Winamac...maybe...
        Working...
        X