Addiction Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addiction Recommendations?

Hi, my name is Mark and I'm an addict, I love gliders. My interests are all types, but I'm prone to the sleek sexy glass slippers with attractive tails. But, seriously I would like to obtain a good thermal ship with a good LD for days when the wind comes up for aero tow. My 3.5 meter Ka-8b will be a good ship for light days. I do have a transportation restriction though in that the longest fuselage I can accommodate is 7' and that requires it to be placed diagonally in the bed of my truck. The wings need to meet those same restrictions.

My other requirements are good handling in the air and landing. The airframe should be durable, not an egg shell with wings, and capable of high speed antics for some occasional fun. Plus, I don't want to have to rebuild the model if new to get it air worthy. New or gently used is acceptable, but my standards for assembly are high (damn OCD). Budget is in the range of $2 K, but negotiable. What would you gents recommend I look into?
    Last edited by Mark9; 06-25-2018, 12:26 AM.
    Mark

If anyone has recommendations with those parameters, let me know too!!!!
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Build a glider "box" to strap in the bed of your truck with the tailgate down and make sure the box is big enough for the Hangar 9 ASH-31! Split the price in half and pull the funds from next years budget into this year and you're all set!
      Last edited by BryanB; 06-20-2018, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Will you guard it for me while I sleep?
        Mark

Comment

If you can't swing the Horizon ASH 31 here is another offering. Don't know much about it.

Soaringusa.com is your best place to shop internationally for radio control airplanes, r/c sailplanes, rc gliders, F5J, F3K, F5F, F3J, and F5K competition aircraft and the accessories to fly them.

Comment

Thanks Mike that is close to what I'm looking for. The pricing is not the issue on the ASH 31, but it would appear that availability will be and physical size definitely. Normally, I am not an early adopter, been burned on that before and I don't like being a beta tester. Need to give them a call to see what the fuselage dimensions are, that will most likely be the main constraint. Servos and electronics are an add on in my budget constraints. Bought completed air planes before and basically reassembled them because I wanted the airframe and didn't like the servos or installation.

I found this one this morning which looks interesting too. Not sure of the quality or how the tariffs and shipping will be from our friends in the great white north. Both have the HQ airfoil series which are quite slippery yet a 2.5-3% camber should give good thermalling ability. I've heard a good bit about the quality of the Baudis products.

http://www.icare-icarus.com/DG-800SM...RF_p_1223.html

Like I told my Texas buddies as they drove home, "not going to buy an new house and a new toy hauler to satisfy my new addiction, just because the first taste was free!" Damn Crack Dealers...

Now that the "collar of pain" is off time to beat the vertigo and get back flying!
            Mark

Comment

On further investigation I see the fuselage should fit and I might be able to pack all my toys. Now what is the layup and availability? So, that still requires a call. That video BTW makes me drool!!!!!
              Mark

Comment

Another idea is to look for a good used Horizon ASW20. With all the people signing up for ASH31's there should be plenty available.

Comment

Thanks John, but I already know it won't fit in my truck. Also, the sailplane hanger is almost ready to bust with my TD ships. Probably should clear them out, HUH? Guess I don't really have an addiction?
                  Mark

Comment

OOH have you seen about a DS glider doing 545 MPH two weeks ago!
                    Mark

Comment

Would the SB-9 icare offers fit in your vehicle? It has hollow molded wings, larger span (4.5m) AND lower price, being on sale presently. Personally, I like the SB-9.

Comment

It might the Blanik I have with the 4.5 m wings fit, just. Never saw one in person before I purchased it. Went to the Valenta site this morning, sorry I can't read German and Google is not good with aerodynamics, could not find any wing panel dimension. Might be my lack of German knowledge. I would like to know for sure though. It would depend on the fuselage width. Haven't heard back from SUSA, Rick said they needed to check on availability.

Made some estimates from a three view drawing of the ASW-22 at the Baudis site and it should be no problem. No response from Icare on the ASW either. What is up with this picture? Both are nice looking gliders. I've not seen to my knowledge either companies product, but have read they are very highly rated.

Really, appreciate your recommendations never realized that there are as many options, but they are hard to find. The feeling here is that aerotow is sooo expensive. Not any more than a high end TD ship. What ever makes one happy.

BTW, asked for some quotes for some work on my house. Received two calls in less than 8 hours from the "highly rated" companies, good. One, the "owner", called me Mike (no offense) yesterday when I answered the phone, the other had no caller ID and I had to wait until they started talking...
                        Mark

Comment

Using the picture and the length of the fuse I estimated the wings at about 78" which should fit. The fuselage is small enough to not be a problem. Watched that video more than once today, dobut I would wring it out that hard! Looks stout too! Like the blue bottom as well I need something dark and not red on the bottom. I had a red bottomed Supra that would disappear at about 700' against a pale blue sky.
                          Mark

Comment

The 'pre-made' glass sailplanes are as lovely as they are expensive! Folks around here spend BIG bucks on bass boats and fishing gear, four wheelers, hunting gear. My vices are bicycles, old timey stuff (like flintlocks or vintage model sailplanes) and a few antiques autos!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2841.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	27239

45 cal. 60" smoothbore goodness!

Comment

Nice looking piece Mike. I too have/had some vices that are not inexpensive. Snow skiing and racing sailboats, before my back problems, RC and bicycles.

I have three bikes my first high quality bike bought in my sophomore year in college; a Bottecchia Tour D'Italia that has a Nevar crank with Campy Record shifters, just can't sell it. I also have a Trek Ground Control mtb. bike and a Litespeed Classic I purchased about 20 years ago. My work mates thought I was crazy when they heard the price of the Litespeed. Titanium is such a sweet ride. It looks so cool with no paint and a brushed finish. The welding is a work of art!

The main things I like about the glass ships are the resistance to hangar rash with lighter weight and strength if designed well. Any of them result in damage if impacts with a hard immovable object occur...such as mother earth. May be time to pull out the credit card!

OOH, I have read that some of us have a problem focusing on the juncture of red and blue. Since they are on opposite ends of the light spectrum the eye cannot adjust to focus on both at the same time. One of the reasons when asked what colors are best I tell them first that my eyes may see colors differently than they do.
                              Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X