No announcement yet.

Addiction Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OOH, to really make one drool check this Baudis video. Would be nice to live near a site like it!

Mark

Comment

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful flying site!

• Mark9
      Mark9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Asking myself can I always resist the VNE of the FG version! I do have my 1/5 Fox....

I'm finding some attractive options. Etienne has the SB 9 in stock, it fits my transportation requirements well and it's very reasonably priced. Plus it has blue bottoms, which I can see much easier than white or red. The Baudis ASW-22 will fit too being a 4 piece wing. I've heard that Baudis is a very high quality product, but don't know much about Valenta. I do know they made the Sharon which was a good TD ship some time back. Anybody have some experience with Valenta's quality?
    Mark

Comment

Here's where the search is. I called Alex at SUSA and asked about the ASW-22 Carbon 5.3 meter on the Baudis site. He asked me if I would be doing stunts or high speed passes with it like on the Baudis site. I told him no, not usually, but I might make a low altitude high speed pass occasionally where I can see it well.

Next, does it need to be a ASW-22. Again I said no, just enjoy the no stress environment, the comradery and watching it fly at the same time as I control it. So, the next criteria, "but the max length is not negotiable". He then went to a more current design and found the fuselage didn't fit. He then proposed the Pilatus B4, which would be his choice with those constraints I have. It has more scale details, more cockpit details and can thermal well, yet do any stunt one would desire. We were conversing about it when a question arose and I said hold on let me go measure the actual transport area dimensions.

He said great I'll be here. Called him back and he then said "let me pull the wings out tomorrow measure them and I will call you tomorrow, I just want to make sure it will fit". I realized last night my bed lid has an exposed latching mechanism inside near the back end of the lid. So, I will provide him with that information today. Great work Alex! Here's the model being discussed.

Soaringusa.com is your best place to shop internationally for radio control airplanes, r/c sailplanes, rc gliders, F5J, F3K, F5F, F3J, and F5K competition aircraft and the accessories to fly them.
      Last edited by Mark9; 06-29-2018, 01:09 PM.
      Mark

Comment

Hi Mark, check the for sale page, the B4 you are looking at is the very same one that I have for sale!

http://forum.scalesoaring.com/forum/...-composite-bnf

If you need any more information you can call me at The Model Box 205 978 8787.

Jeremy
        SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

• Mark9
          Mark9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Jeremy, but as of yet it is not totally known if it will fit my transportation requirements. The joiner in the wing extends about three inches past the diagonal length of the bed on my truck, rats! The option we came up with yesterday talking with Alex was to try in the cab, not my preferred method of transporting it though. Being it was about 100 degrees here at that time I said I would start to look at it today.

I have a pair of HH Blanik wings that are about the same size I believe, less the joiner. The truck is a 2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab, the one with the jump seats, so there is not much room behind the front seats. The Blanik wings just fit diagonally in the cab, but I found later a way to pack them in the bed. Later today I plan to take them both out to the truck and make some observations and see if it is anywhere close to fitting. How does one fit an elephant into a peanut shell?

On a side note he mentioned the Ventus 2CX as a possible candidate.I haven't had time to research it and he recommended the Pilatus over it while discussing my search, if it would fit. Looking at their three view it looks like it is a four piece wing and would fit easily if the center sections are less that 90". We haven't discussed it much. Also,do you know anything about the Ventus?

Alert this became a little wordy. But, I’ll continue because I think many newcomers (which is another discussion) are struggling with these same thoughts. Talking with Alex at SUSA last week I realized I need to refine my search as they say in the IT business. Complexity needs to be another consideration. I do aero tow to relax and maybe I don’t need three control surfaces and spoilers on each wing. If the airplane thermals well then ailerons and glide path control alone is sufficient. Camber control, just adds more complexity. Also, I read and hear of all the headaches, guys have with their retract system. So, a fixed wheel is a plus as well.

That then leads me to that I would be perfectly happy with a five function Rudder, Aileron, Elevator, Spoiler, and Tow release ship. No more is required to have fun and enjoy the reason why do it. So, another parameter gets added to the requirements, simplicity or lack of complexity.

To add it and adjust the list it would be as follows:

Transport and storage: Not negotiable “if it don’t fit what I have now, it ain’t gonna be mine”. BTW, the Pilatus I was looking at would be an excellent choice. Except I would have to physically see if I could fit both wings in the cab. My attempt to use a mock up to do it was too close to call…sad.

Complexity or lack there of: Simple is better, more fun and less stress per the time invested. I can go fly a competition with my TD ships if I need to occupy my mind that way. It isn’t about how long I stay up, did that with my LSF Level 5 2 hour thermal flight (back to thermalling). Also, more functions equates to more stress, “is the gear down, what’s wrong with that servo now, more functions equal more failure points in the system, ETC.”

Durability: I realize that with this hobby, “if you fly’m you’ll break’m”. But, who wants to repair their airplane after every less than perfectly greased in landing?

Price: Everybody has their own comfort level, but that can be exceeded when the ideal match is discovered. At the size I'm looking at I can have one for as low as under $500 ready to fly or as high as I want to spend.

Intangibles: Such things as does it touch a specific button. Seeing is one, larger wing chords are key to better visibility at altitude as an example. A personal connection with a particular aircraft, my first civil aircraft ride was in a Blanik when I was a young boy. Sexy, lines are appealing, ETC. While at a party Saturday I was talking with Reto Fiolka, a club member who represented the US at the last FAI F3B Worlds, and he brought up the Salto saying he always liked that airplane and I agreed.

So, the hunt continues.
        Last edited by Mark9; 07-02-2018, 03:55 PM.
        Mark

Comment

Here's another one that I've always admired the lines of. Does anyone know something about this kit. Adding retract to the landing check list would not be much more to expect from a newbie if it meets my other requirements. The numbers look acceptable too. I'm not afraid of V-tails either.

Mark

Comment

• ARUP
            ARUP commented
            Editing a comment
            Mosquito knows a flier with one of these. Maybe he'll chime into the conversation. It's a looker! 'V' tails rock!

There's a guy on the aerotow circuit up here in the North East that flies the begeezes out of one of those. I can guarantee you that they are hard to see over 2000 feet....... Flies very well, thermal decently, is pretty rugged and V-tails are always cool!!!

Comment

Heck my 3.8 meter X-3 is hard to see over 2000'. With black bottoms and the white stripes changed to day-glo orange, definitely "not scale"! It has way more chord than a scale ship too. Don't blink it may disappear! Thanks for the input I'll put it on the short list.
            Mark

Comment

I think I have found my best bang for the buck. Alex has made me an offer that I can't pass on. Not much info on it out there, but the pictures indicate a well designed model. Also, a long time TD buddy tells me it flies like a fast TD ship and I won't regret it. If anybody has some experience with this model, please post here. The youtube link is the same video from the SUSA site, just lets you go wide screen.

Mark

Comment

• ARUP
                ARUP commented
                Editing a comment
                Congratulations on a fine acquisition!

• Swiss1
                Swiss1 commented
                Editing a comment
                That Swiss Cross is not in Compliance!

Mark 9,

I have owned two of the Ventus models you are buying. That is one of SUSA's number one selling planes (I remember someone there telling me that). There are quite a few owners of that exact plane that frequent this site.

Just a couple of suggestions. If you should accidentally hit the retract switch while the sailplane is on the ground, on the wheel or not, your retract servo will strip (ask me how I know 4 servos later). You need to think about a switch that you won't accidentally hit. This could happen on other scale ships but then again, some will not. With this Ventus, it's almost a guarantee. I know that HF has changed the retract geometry a couple of times so it could be much better. The retract on their little brother kit, the HF ASG 29, is a much better design and much easier to remove if need be. I also own the ASG and I have had to remove that retract a time or two.

The Ventus is a spinner. If you fly it too slow, it will spin on you. Nothing to be paranoid about but just keep the speed up and don't set your CG too far back. Again, ask me how I know!

This glider is one of the better bangs for the buck. They do fly nicely and you will have several pilots out there for advice as so many are flying right now. Many have been in service for years.

-- Tim

Comment

Tim, thanks for the warning on the retract and the tip on air speed. This will be my first model with a retract. Alex told me it is in his opinion the best of class in this size. I will have to do something about the white wing bottoms though. Guess I will need to learn how to apply sign vinyl. My plans are to have it ready for the Mickey Sullivan at the end of September. That will give me plenty of time. It sure will make packing the truck easier too.
                Mark

Comment

About that retract servo. I already tested mine unfortunately when I turned the transmitter off and walked away, leaving the plane in failsafe mode(gear down), while sitting on the gear doors. I didn't realize it until I came back about 2 minutes later. Either my receiver has an overload circuit that shuts down power at a certain amperage, or the old faithful Hitec 7955TG that I love so much is just a bullet proof powerhouse of a servo. I run them in my 1/8 offroad vehicles too. Never had one fail. Long story short, if a standard size servo fits in your plane, consider the 7955. I bet it breaks something in the plane before it fails.

Comment

Quick fix on any retract...simply power it with a separate battery and a separate switch...don't turn it on until you are ready to fly...never had a problem with mine since I got it...

Comment

Good tip Jim, thanks.
                      Mark

Comment

Check the Discus and Ventus out at Esprit, made in Czech. very nice!

Comment

• JimD
                          JimD commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I owned one of the Ventus models and it was nicely made...problem for me was that the wings were very hard to see at certain angles in the sky. Also prone to tip stalling, but not an unacceptable issue. Need to be careful on launch, if a wing tip catches be ready to release immediately, otherwise model will whip back and flip over.
                      Working...
                      X