Help! 1/3 scale ASK-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! 1/3 scale ASK-18

At the SERA event this year I picked up a 1/3 scale ASK-18 from Rusty Rood from the Pensacola area- 1/34 scale, fiberglass fuse, foam core/obechi covered wings. He got into a tip stall and it came down hard . I'm not going to do a complete refurb-it's an old model and it would require a lot of work but with some repairs it will be flyable and is reported to be a good flying model. What I need help with is a canopy-this one is BER. Any ideas where I can get a canopy for this model? Rusty said another path is that a canopy from a 1/3 scale CAP 21 will fit but I haven't been able to find either. Thanks-Bill
    Last edited by Steve P; 06-04-2018, 11:52 AM. Reason: Added sailplane type

Can you just put some foam into the canopy area and carve it a bit? Some foam safe silver paint will get you flying with respectable appearance, lol.

Comment

If I can't find a canopy I'll have to do something creative...

Comment

Thats a Rosenthal. Very well known for the tip stall. I've personally seen a couple of them tip stall into the ground on the base to final turn.

Good luck with the search.
        Len Buffinton
        Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

I believe that was the same as one I owned. Beautiful sailplane. Performs extremely well with the exception of a nasty tip stall if it gets too slow. I completely restored one, flew it for a few years, sold it to a person in CA who wrecked it into a pole at Visalia. :-(

The flying surfaces were CNC Bayer and the fuselage Rosenthal. I seriously doubt that either will get you a canopy, but if the links below look like your bird this is the best course to follow....

rosenthal-flugmodelle.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, rosenthal-flugmodelle.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Steve
          Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Bill,
            i believe Rusty used a canopy from Carden Aircraft. He sent the original broken canopy and frame to Carden so they could determine the best fit. It was close enough according to Rusty.

Comment

Working...
            X