Hangar 9 ASH 31 ~ 6.4m ARF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by French1 View Post

Same comment than Ali, my preferred CG was 6S 4400mA and receiver pack on the side of LG, there was also a tow release servo in the model but not lead.
    So.....where was “your” CG? 60-85mm is what the man well shows......where you closer to 60 or 85??? 25mm is a big range.....
    TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

• I had a thought on the CG question. As it was troubling me....
      Did you have a pilot figure, Cockpit tub and canopy in place when measuring the C of G? I cannot for the life of me see a reason to add that much weight in the nose of the electric set up? I can understand some difference in component weights during production. But not 14Oz of nose weights worth...
      Regards Ali

Comment

• So no cockpit tub, tow release servo or pilot figure. With both 4000Mah receiver packs right behind the motor, 119 grams of lead upfront on shelf and a 6S 6000 my CG is right at the 85mm mark. I'll add a bit more lead tomorrow when it arrives to try and get it a little more nose heavy versus tail heavy. Sorry, I was off on my original post.

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker63 View Post
          So no cockpit tub, tow release servo or pilot figure. With both 4000Mah receiver packs right behind the motor, 119 grams of lead upfront on shelf and a 6S 6000 my CG is right at the 85mm mark. I'll add a bit more lead tomorrow when it arrives to try and get it a little more nose heavy versus tail heavy. Sorry, I was off on my original post.
          Ok. That is making more sense. No Cockpit tub and Pilot? But you had the canopy on? Correct?

I would not advise going further forward than 85mm. I did a lot of testing and found that the plane handles so much nicer when it is not nose heavy. Nearly all of the "try me" flights that Stephane and I did were with the smaller/ lighter packs, 6s 2900-3500mah so were close to the rearward balance point. Not one person said that it felt tail heavy in flight. When I used anything above 4000Mah 6S packs. I tended to leave the pilot out in order to achieve a better feel.
          Regards Ali

Comment

• Ali, check my last entry on the other build thread. It's about my landing gear not retracting. Any suggestions? It will need to get replaced from what I can tell. I have a few videos I took of the problem is someone would like to see them.

Comment

• Sorry to hear about the retract issues. I have not had any on the three samples, other than one time where I landed off field and cycled the gear switch while the model was on the ground. This damaged a gearbox and required me to replace the motor.
              I hope our product support team can get you what you need in order to fly your ASH?
              Regards Ali

Comment

• Got to maiden the H9 ASH 31 today! All I can say is wow! Two clicks of aileron trim and it was solid as a rock. Not much lift but did my best to work the turbulence!
                Outstanding job Horizon Team! Thank you!
                Click image for larger version

Name:	ASH31_MaidenFlight_2-16-19.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	34108

Comment

• edfmaniac
                  edfmaniac commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Congratulations. I thought I was going to maiden my ASW-27 this weekend but gremlins are everywhere. Can't wait for Apache Pass!

• ARUP
                  ARUP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awesome! Congrats, buddy!

• lenb
                  lenb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Congratulations Bryan. So happy you were able to get out an fly the beauty. The ASH-31 has been a wonderful project to be a small part of and to see the global acceptance and positivity is truly rewarding and inspiring.

• Looks good Bryan. No flying here today. Never out of the 30's, low clouds with fog. Worked on the Ventus some more. I'm beginning to see the maiden coming.
                Mark

Comment

• Retracts arrived today. Thank you Horizon Hobby and Ali, they are working great. I also started applying the decals. Now is all I need is some good weather.

Comment

• ARUP
                    ARUP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Make sure your sailplane is sponsored by your favorite mountain bike manufacturer! Looks great!

• It is so rewarding to see customers getting out and enjoying their ASH's. It has ( and still is ) a super challenging project for us at Hangar 9, but I am really happy to be a part of it. Even more so now that I get to see fellow modelers getting to the point where the ASH really comes into its own. Thanks for your patience, feedback and understanding. Now.. back I go to hounding the vendor to rectify a few small niggles for future production models... Whilst trying to get them to speed up production so we can catch up with back orders.
                  FYI I have replacement bag sets on the water. Not sure when they will be here yet , but the good news is that they are on the way !

Regards Ali

Comment

• ARUP
                    ARUP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ali... you are a cool dude!

• I have flown mine several times in the past couple of weeks and it continues to impress. It is probably the nicest landing scale sailplane that I have flown. It really slows down with full flaps and the spoilers are very effective. They are so effective that I have so far always touched down with the spoilers fully retracted. The L/D is really impressive. It has by far the best L/D per dollar that I have seen. You would need to spend at least twice as much money to even get close.

I got to fly some laps on a GPS Triangle course today and it did very well. Conditions were far from ideal with a fully overcast sky, 39* F temperature, a 10 mph wind and weak choppy thermals. It did a good job of utilizing the weak lift in the thermals and covered ground quickly and efficiently in between thermals and turn points. I had a low start (380m vs the 500m that is allowed) yet still flew the 30 minute task and did 7 laps. Hopefully next week we will be able to fly at Visalia and I will be able to directly compare it to the all out GPS Racing models. I think it will be close in performance on days when ballast is not necessary.
                  Rick Shelby
                  Team Horizon

Comment

• I have had a dozen or so flights with mine so far and have been reasonably happy with it. The very first flight was going to be just a short trimming flight but there was some terrific lift about and as I had the GPS Triangle gear in it, I decided that what better way to set up the trims than by flying around the course. After 30 minutes, I decided that I really had to change a few things as it flopped and wandered all over the place like a drunken duck and was hard to keep in line with the turn points but still managed to do 10 laps.
                    I moved the CG a bit forward and played with the aileron differential and aileron/flap mix and since then it behaves a lot better. It tracks between the turns well now and turns into thermals very nicely and makes use of even the lightest of lift.
                    I doubt it will match the big dollar machines but it is very much worth trying if anyone wanted to try GPS racing without spending lots of money.
                    Last edited by kevj; 03-10-2019, 11:06 AM.

Comment

• ARUP
                      ARUP commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Might be fun to have a 'one design' GPS Triangle race with these! BTW... I know nothing of this sort of flying.

• Hi Guys
                    After 6 months wait my Hangar 9 ASH31 has arrived down here in New Zealand. Happy to report nil damage to what was a very well packed model, she is model (A10) not sure what that means in the production line, but very happy with the Quality. It is going to also be elect powered having purchased the spinner and two prop assys and the matching paint. I am intending to use a Scorpion SC4025-10 motor with a 100amp SEC. interested in peoples opinions, all the servos are Hitec, the same specs as the LET model of the same type. It will be also used for GPS racing as have T3000 gear to fit also.
                    regards
                    Paul Chisholm
                    NZ

Comment

• In Germany the Hangar 9 ASH 31 is not in stock at any dealer!

Comment

• The second production run is all headed to EU as we speak. I expect it will arrive very soon. Although. I am pretty sure all are presold on this and maybe even the second shipment ( Sorry. No news on when the second shipment will be ready yet )
                        Regards Ali

Comment

Working...
                        X