No announcement yet.

Hangar 9 ASH 31 ~ 6.4m ARF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ended up not having to work today! Since the big airplane is broken, the little airplanes get some love.

The first step in the manual is to cut holes in the root of the tip for your servo extensions, luckily this is already done, as you can see in previous photos.

Started off setting up the servo mounts for the ailerons in the wing tips. The manual has you place the servo on the mount and cut away enough of the mount to clear the servo arm.

Next step was to install the servo to the mount. Ran into an issue here. The screws that come with the servo are too small and drop right through the hole in the servo mount. A standard servo screw will not fit through the screw slots in the servo. Will have to source some different screws to install the servo.

This prevented me from finishing the servo install, so instead I installed the aileron horns, built some extensions for the aileron servos and glued in the anti rotation pins.

Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

• Disregard about the screws! Apparently the correct ones are included in the kit!
      Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

• Worked on my release today........before you build the battery ledge that goes above the tow release be sure to make sure the steel rod fits in the release. Mine had glue in the holes and needed to be drilled.....which was hard to do since I had glued the uprights in for the battery shelf.
        I managed to get it done with a rat tail file.
        Next you will want to fill the area at the front of the release between the glass skin and the plywood release.....if you don’t over time the tow loop will cut into the skin.
        I used thickened epoxy to fill the gap.
        Once that dried I drilled the release hole out to 5/16” from the factory 3/16” hole......was damn near impossible to get the loop up the factory hole.
        TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

• Fabricated a 1/32” plywood close off panel for behind the seat pan......it’s held on with Velcro at the bottom edge. Also had to cut the back of the power battery opening out some to fit the 6S battery for the motor in.......really like how it fits under the pan so once the pan is installed you will never know that battery is under there!
          TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

• Can anyone say how many kits were in the first shipment?
            Mark L Taylor
            Team Horizon / BVM Rep.

Comment

• BryanB
              BryanB commented
              Editing a comment
              Someone had posted in another forum that they heard they were being produced in blocks of 50. This is hearsay for what it's worth. I don't know if that was a world wide total or just the block for N. America.

• Originally posted by BryanB View Post
            Someone had posted in another forum that they heard they were being produced in blocks of 50. This is hearsay for what it's worth. I don't know if that was a world wide total or just the block for N. America.
            Ali told us in Cumberland that in fact they where being built in batches of 50 at a time......at that time they where on their 3rd order of 50.
            First 50 came here to the US with 10 being shipped to AUS and the second 50 going to Europe.......the third 50 where scheduled to come to the US....
            Last edited by Tom; 12-31-2018, 03:28 AM.
            TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20181221_164540.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	32617 My box has written on it "Carton 17 of 54". So guessing 54 were sent over?

Tim

Comment

• Finished all the assembly. Now I just need to balance and adjust the throws. I'm still having rudder servo problems. It starts and stops. Won't start moving again unless I push it a bit. Looks like I'll be removing and testing it on my servo tester, then making a call to Horizon Hobby.

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker63 View Post
                  Finished all the assembly. Now I just need to balance and adjust the throws. I'm still having rudder servo problems. It starts and stops. Won't start moving again unless I push it a bit. Looks like I'll be removing and testing it on my servo tester, then making a call to Horizon Hobby.
                  unhook the rudder clevise, check on servo using your radio and check moving your rudder by hand if there is any binding especially the rudder control horn rubbing on the fin

even a binding of the rudder should not block a 5060,

Stéphane
                  Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

• Quick heads up..

There is no need to use an attachment on the rear bolt to retain the inner wing panels. For some reason. The factory decided to change the set up between final production samples and first batch production. They replaced the rear alignment pin with the same threaded metal as the front.
                    None of the three sample aircraft that we have flown during testing have a nut on the rear. Only the front. In fact. The very first one flew its first 100 or so flights with no bolt and only taped on panels.
                    Regards Ali

Comment

• BryanB
                      BryanB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good to know. Can the rear threaded rods be unscrewed and replaced or are they glued in? Don't want to start cranking on anything and break it,

• Hi Bryan. I am sorry. I did not check. I just saw them on my inspection and gave feedback to the factory to change back to a pin. I did not have a go at removing any. They will work as anti rotation devises as they are. I cant see it as being essential to remove them and replace with a pin?
                    Regards Ali

Comment

• Bryan,

I think if you want to make it a smooth shank pin, look for brass tube or thin walled carbon tube to slide over and glue on the threaded pin and then open the hole in the fuse accordingly. I wouldn't try to remove the threaded pin from the wing. Just an idea, but the best fix is probably no fix and to just leave it as is. It will function more than adequately, left as is and there is no danger of messing up the alignment at all.

Comment

• BryanB
                        BryanB commented
                        Editing a comment
                        My concern was the threads working and digging into the holes. Was thinking about filling the threads with epoxy but the front pin is also threaded so I guess it's nothing to worry about. After watching Stéphane and especially Ali thrash theirs about I guess the threaded pins are no worry.

• Ali, that's good to know. Now I can return a few things to Home Depot.

I just balanced my plane with motor option, two 4000 mah receiver packs all the way forward, 6S 5000 flight pack in stock location and 420 grams of weight in the nose.

Comment

• That's strange. I ran lighter packs ( 6s 3300's were my favored) My RX packs 2x 4000's were on the tray in front of the retract ( Not all the way forward ) With the 6S 5000's I found that it was the furthest nose heavy that I liked to fly. Where in the CG range are you at?
                        Regards Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker63 View Post
                          Ali, that's good to know. Now I can return a few things to Home Depot.

I just balanced my plane with motor option, two 4000 mah receiver packs all the way forward, 6S 5000 flight pack in stock location and 420 grams of weight in the nose.
                          Same comment than Ali, my preferred CG was 6S 4400mA and receiver pack on the side of LG, there was also a tow release servo in the model but not lead.

Stéphane
                          Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

Working...
                          X