No announcement yet.

Hangar 9 ASH 31 ~ 6.4m ARF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just scrape the decal off with a razorblade.... or a wire brush. Actually, the edge of an old credit card will work well for starting a corner.

Comment

After my initial excitement about the shipping wing/fuselage/stab protector bags, I agree with Tom that they would need to be lined with something soft to avoid scratching the finish...so...What about getting a group order together and have Revoc make custom wing bags for the ASH-31. Jeremy (aka The Model Box) is a dealer, so maybe he can work something out for us.

I am in, anyone else interested???
      A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• JimD
        JimD commented
        Editing a comment
        Please do not take my comments above as a negative review of this product...the wings, fuselage, stab, and rudder came in these nicely made bubble foil bags and each part was wrapped in protective plastic before being inserted into its protective cover.

This system provided excellent protection for shipping and my model came out of shipping box in pristine condition...job well done!

My next thought was, this model is SO NICE that I feel compelled to splurge on some top of the line wing bags!!!

So please read this post as a major Thank You, to Ali and all the Horizon Hobby Crew for this beautiful model. I am thrilled to have it in my hands...you have exceeded my expectations!

Originally posted by JimD View Post
      After my initial excitement about the shipping wing/fuselage/stab protector bags, I agree with Tom that they would need to be lined with something soft to avoid scratching the finish...so...What about getting a group order together and have Revoc make custom wing bags for the ASH-31. Jeremy (aka The Model Box) is a dealer, so maybe he can work something out for us.

Not only to keep from scratching, but also to keep our hands clean. Sounds like a plan...
      Bill L.

Comment

• JimD
        JimD commented
        Editing a comment
        That's two!!!!

Originally posted by JimD View Post

Yes.....don’t really feel like breaking out the old sewing machine.
      TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

I'd join you but my wife is a quilter and has been itching to sew me some wing bags. She wanted to do some for the ASW20 but I built that box for it so they weren't needed. Think I'll let her participate and make a set for the ASH31.

Comment

• Soaranator
          Soaranator commented
          Editing a comment
          Ask her is she wants to make some extra bags for money...

• BryanB
          BryanB commented
          Editing a comment
          I asked her if she was interested. She said he wants to make a set first and see how it goes.

Sounds like the factory substituted cheaper duct insulation that is a messy fail for the more typical and useful Mylar-faced product. What a shame.

REVOC is the best product out there. Folks not familiar with them will be extremely impressed.
        Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

If there's a group buy of REVOC bags through Jeremy, I'm in....

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	20181223_180114.jpg Views:	1 Size:	22.2 KB ID:	32424Click image for larger version  Name:	20181223_175253.jpg Views:	1 Size:	111.2 KB ID:	32422Click image for larger version  Name:	20181223_180056.jpg Views:	1 Size:	23.5 KB ID:	32423

I sewed up an elevator bag in about 20 minutes for my ASH 31, using my trusty Singer 15-91. It's a gear driven machine made in the 40's that I bought at a garage sale for $25. It will sew though 2 pieces of thick fabric and velcro all at the same time. I buy the material at Joanne Fabrics. I got this idea almost entirely from Kevin K including which sewing machine to use. Good thing I paid attention in high school during Home Economics class! The velcro can be bought at Walmart in various widths. I will finish the wing bags tomorrow. I will probably just sew up something for the vertical tail and go with a canopy cover which I will make oversize to accommodate the propellor.

I know that many make their own wing bags so this is not new for most, but an option for those that will be discarding the silver bags that came with the glider.

Tim

Comment

• ARUP
              ARUP commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice work, ... honey! I'm going to find one of those machines!!!

• BryanB
              BryanB commented
              Editing a comment
              What's the fabric called? My wife practically supports our local Joannes.

Bryan, double faced quilted. Comes in several colors.

Tim
            Last edited by Mosquito; 12-24-2018, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	420
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	32441 Another Singer sewing machine that was sold in more numbers is the Singer 201 (late 40's) , also gear driven and works like Tim's. A modification that Tim and I did on these machines was to add an aluminum arm with a knob that lets ya hand crank through the "prickly" side of the sew on Velcro that Tim mentioned in his post. It requires you to take the silver hub off the fly wheel part of the machine and drill and tap....I did mine in 6-32 ...it is small enough that it does not affect the machine when using the motor for all the other sewing. use a # 10 needle or so with heavy thread. Also, much like changing razor blades frequently when doing ultra coat, change the needle on the sewing machine every new project. I am about to start my wing bags and stab bags for my Cmelak this week.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0191.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	32453Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0192.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	32452Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0193.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	32450

It might look like I stole Santas clothing but it's merely a coincidence. I finished the second inner wing bags today. I made a pocket that is attached to one cover to store the carbon wingtip rods. It's one of those items that we leave at home only to discover that at the field. This should reduce my odds of doing that, I hope.Tomorrow I'll make up the outer wing bags and start on the rudder cover and a bag for the removable wingtips. Sadly, I will discard the silver bags that came with the glider unless I can think of another use for them. Great idea had they used a better material.

Tim
                Attached Files

Comment

• ARUP
                  ARUP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Those are looking nice!

• Newman12
                  Newman12 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Those are looking really good Tim, are you going to do a fuse bag too?

• It is great to hear that some of you are receiving your 31's. Thank you very much to all of you for your patience. This has been a real learning curve for all of us involved and we are working hard on making headway into the back orders. Unfortunately there is just no way to produce these at the same rate as our typical wooden Arf's.

Regarding the bags. This a great example of things going wrong for want of doing right. let me explain.

From a very early stage in the ASH development, I knew that I wanted to ship each kit with some form of protective bag. Not only for shipping from the factory, but also bags that could be used by the end user to protect their investment.
                The sample bags that were sent worked well, but they were a little light and required careful use to prevent them from tearing. I asked the factory if this could be improved upon. They said that they could not source the material and it was left at that. When I unpacked and checked models from the first shipment, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the factory had provided bags that while looking the same. Felt a lot more stout! It was immediately apparent that they had double walled the bags. Not only was the protective material on the outside. It was now also on the inside. Initially I was super happy about this and because all of the components were shipped wrapped in clear bags before they were put inside the protective bags. I did not see any of the silver material transfer. The double wall make up of the bags also explains why the bags seem to have shrunk.
                Anyway. Fast forward a week or two and it became quickly apparent that something that we were including to make the ASH more practical and in someway more enjoyable to live with. Turns out to be actually causing more stress. Exactly the opposite of what I had hoped for?
                Lots of correspondence with the factory and I have managed to get them to agree to alter the bag material and the way they are made. Not only that. I have made it very clear that I would like replacement bags sent for all of the ASH's that we have delivered thus far.
                I wont imagine that this will be anytime soon. I anticipate that they will ship the replacement bags with the next sea container of air frames that are sent to the USA ( Sorry I dont know when that is right now ) I will keep this thread ( and others ) updated. I will also speak to our sales team to see if I can get all the info for the first batch delivered. Hopefully I can straighten up all those customers from the first order?
                Sorry once again.
                Regards Ali

Comment

• BryanB
                  BryanB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bags or no bags I'm very happy with the model Ali! A minor detail in my mind. Great job!

• JimD
                  JimD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ali, my comment about the wing covers was in no way meant as a criticism. My take was the covers were intended to protect the parts during shipping (which they did superbly) but might be used further as transport covers (which they could be). The model is beautifully crafted and I think we can all say "job well done!" Thank you for all you do for our hobby!

• ARUP
                  ARUP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wasn't even expecting the covers! My model is 'B-12' just like the vitamin!!!

• Thanks for all the updates through this whole process Ali. It's been great to see the way you've engaged with the scale soaring community to make this glider a success. Looking forward to getting mine finished and flying!
                Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

• Ali, you have done a fabulous job my friend.

Tim

Comment

• Ali:

I considered the bags a freebie, and realize how problems like this can happen. Thank you for making it right, and a huge thanks to everyone on the HH team for developing and producing a fantastic model!

Bill

Comment

Working...
                    X