Alieron Differential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alieron Differential

How do you set your alieron differential for your scale sailplane? The question would relate to the first tow. Not much info on the web for scale sailplanes. Also do you mix rudder as part of the differential or not?

Thanks,

WD

I usually start with 50% differential and then adjust from there, seems to work for me. I currently use an Aileron to Rudder mix, but have been advised by certain people (Len) to do away with it because it can get you into trouble with larger sailplanes. So I've been trying to get away from that.
    Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Hi WD,

50% differential is a good starting point and then refine from there. Different wing plan forms will benefit from varied amounts of differential.

On tow, best to keep the rudder mix turned off and actually resist any other temptation to use the rudder stick. Your primary goal is to keep the wings level via aileron input and track straight behind the tow plane. The tow plane will pull the nose of your sailplane as it turns assuming the tow pilot carves nice smooth climbing turns. Rudder mixed or on its own will induce a turn to one side or the other which is what you do not want. Keep it simple.

Aileron-Rudder mix is absolutely acceptable in thermal mode or any other time it pleases you.
      Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

I usually start with what differential the mfg. recommends and adjust as desired from there. Also, use aileron to rudder mixing it is set to off (zero mix) while my tow release is in tow mode. Once released the mix is turned on to the amount selected, of which I have three options.
        Mark

Comment

Thank you guys for this information. I got this KV Ventus 2C without any instructions or hardware....price was very good. I will start with 50% diff. Also the tow tips is appreciated too.

Comment

Hi WD,
            There's some great advice here, you should be able to proceed with confidence following the above recommendations. As Steve mentioned above, rudder and aileron mix is a personal choice, you'll find most guys that do a lot of tow plane flying as well as flying sailplanes will tend to not mix aileron and rudder. I used to mix the aileron and rudder in the sailplanes but now instead I'll input the rudder as needed verses resting the thumb on the transmitter. It's neither right or wrong, just what you prefer. If you move into towing, you will NEVER mix ailerons and rudder on the tug as it will make the tug pretty squirrly since you are constantly holding more and more rudder as you climb.

Good luck with the plane!!

len
            Len Buffinton
            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• JimD
              JimD commented
              Editing a comment
              I know your question was in regards to sailplanes, but since tow planes were mentioned let me add this...on many occasions I actually use opposite aileron and rudder while towing, especially when towing the larger, heavier sailplanes. That said, I do have aileron/rudder mixing on a switch so it can be turned if I want.

Thanks Len!

Comment

Yeah... it's a personal preference thing. On tow I rarely touch the rudder unless I want to 'skid' outward on a tow's turn to maintain line tension. The models I have use mostly 'up' aileron, i.e., lots of differential. I never mix rudder and aileron myself. I'm not that great of a pilot, anyway, so I just like to keep it simple! Simple minds... simple pleasures!

Comment

• Mosquito
                Mosquito commented
                Editing a comment
                Mikey! Do your old gliders have ailerons?
            Working...
            X