Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another T45 Swallow - Slingsby --

Yet another PGD Slingsby T45 Swallow
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Slingsby Swallow lable.JPG Views:	1 Size:	73.3 KB ID:	24901
    Major construction pretty much finished inside of 2 months ( a record for me ) in my attempt to have two airplanes at the painting stage.
    Some photos at the different stages
    Using 3/4" x 1/4" UHMW Polyethylene strip ( and skid plate ) similar to Dean Gradwell's Cherokee II ( and Gene's 1/3 Cherokee II)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4238.JPG Views:	1 Size:	159.4 KB ID:	24902Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4252.JPG Views:	1 Size:	53.3 KB ID:	24903

Digital gauge was helpful to jig the wing up when applying the lower sheeting ( trying to avoid any twist ) Thanks to John Ellias for finding the TL90
    CA used when applying the cap strips and sanding bars to keep things level

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4264.JPG Views:	2 Size:	83.2 KB ID:	24909Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4272.JPG Views:	1 Size:	122.3 KB ID:	24906

Test fitting all the pieces for inspection and a test panel using Polyfiber process but PPG Omni LV for the Yellow so it will match .

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4281.JPG Views:	1 Size:	183.2 KB ID:	24907Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4268.JPG Views:	1 Size:	66.6 KB ID:	24905

1/8" Great Planes clear pin hinges for the ailerons and some artistic license in the wing tips - I really liked the Horton upswept tips on Dean's full-sized Cherokee so...... a 3"x1"x12" block of balsa and time with 80 grit sandpaper was required.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4289.JPG Views:	1 Size:	58.8 KB ID:	24908Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4301.JPG Views:	1 Size:	78.8 KB ID:	24910

90% done so that means only 90% left to do......

Scott

Attached Files
    Last edited by MarnochS; 04-01-2018, 04:53 PM.

Nice! I see you have an inspector, too!

Comment

Nice Scott, looking forward to seeing it at Visalia. I was very close to buying one of these kits but I have a backlong of projects.

Comment

Nice Scott, there should be several at the Monticello Aerotow, look forward to seeing it in person.

Comment

Thanks Guys, ......more progress.

My version of the canopy release ( accessed via the top hatch as I didn't want anything on the outside )

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4332.JPG
Views:	452
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	25144Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4331.JPG
Views:	445
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	25145

Wing tip skids using 4-40 pushrod material and 1/8 brass tubing ( leftover from all the fuel tanks I've used ) and the drill jig ( copied from Gene's Cherokee II build ). Friction holds them in place.
          I'll probably solder a washer to the posts to prevent them from driving through in the event of a less than graceful landing.
          For aileron spacing, I had to add another wing tip rib ( 1/8 lite-ply and 1/64 ply ) then I replaced the original wing tip rib with a 6-ply 1/8' rib to glue the Balsa to.

Name:	IMG_4333.JPG
Views:	436
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	25146Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4335.JPG
Views:	490
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	25143

Successfully coaxed the 1/64 plywood around the leading edge of the center section.. using a fair bit of water spray and the hot iron/glue technique.
          Magnets on the hatch access are my "removal tool" for getting the hatch off. Four small 4mm x 2mm magnets around the corners of the hatch hold it in place.

Checking on the look of the wing tips with the ailerons installed

Name:	IMG_4339.JPG
Views:	483
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	25142Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4329.JPG
Views:	475
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	25147

Comment

• Swiss1
            Swiss1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Looking good Scott!

When all of the models appear at Horizon we'll have to dub them 'The Swallows of Monticello'!

Comment

• MarnochS
            MarnochS commented
            Editing a comment
            ........"When the Swallows come Home".....

Pre bent the canopy faring plywood before installation as it was flatting out on the narrow section at the back... Quart size paint can is the perfect form.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4340.JPG Views:	1 Size:	126.5 KB ID:	25238Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4341.JPG Views:	1 Size:	54.8 KB ID:	25237

Matching the wings to the fuselage with some minor error corrections as I built the root rib straight instead of at an angle ( to match the taper of the fuselage ).

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4343.JPG Views:	1 Size:	123.1 KB ID:	25239
          Last edited by MarnochS; 04-11-2018, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the inspiration Scott...particularly that last little part! 😉
            A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Sand, Sand,....Sand,....and more sanding....
              and a Sailplane emerges......

Name:	IMG_4347.JPG
Views:	462
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	25639Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4348.JPG
Views:	440
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	25638Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4349.JPG
Views:	422
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	25637

And then...on to .... ..."Sculpting with Sandpaper"........ had to add some "extra" thickness to mine.... so I could sand ......oops.....Sculpt it to shape....
              Used a ).010 shim in-between the base and fin to allow for removal ----- I hope......
              the self-adhesive sand paper (150 grit ) attached to a popsicle stick worked great.

Name:	IMG_4345.JPG
Views:	451
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	25640Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4350.JPG
Views:	428
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	25641Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4351.JPG
Views:	452
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	25636

Comment

Geez Scot, you're closing in on it now, Looks like your just about ready to start covering it,
                Len Buffinton
                Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Hi Len,

Actually that has already started, Wing tips , Stabilizer and Fin / Fin base are glassed/epoxy ( 0.5 oz glass ).
                  Figured if I glassed the Fin first there would be a slight safety margin while "shaping" the fin base........

Name:	IMG_4346.JPG
Views:	436
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	25653

The plan is to start covering this weekend with Stits lite ........after a little final SANDING............

Comment

Thats great,
                    I would LOVE to cover and paint versus the plastic covering. Believe me!!
                    Len Buffinton
                    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

A little better detail of the bely/nose skid using the UHM material and stainless steel skid....
                      Socket head screws will be replaced with countersunk units.

Name:	IMG_4352.JPG
Views:	442
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	25683Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4353.JPG
Views:	449
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	25682

had to put the wings on to match sand the underside of the wings and check the look of the rounded boom section and of course the new nose.

Name:	IMG_4354.JPG
Views:	399
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	25684

Comment

• Gene C
                        Gene C commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Looks outstanding.

A productive Saturday ......temperatures were in the 80's which is a help for Epoxy cure time. ( 0.73 oz .glass )

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4356.JPG Views:	1 Size:	66.2 KB ID:	25698Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4361.JPG Views:	1 Size:	73.2 KB ID:	25699Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4362.JPG Views:	1 Size:	100.5 KB ID:	25700

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4365.JPG Views:	1 Size:	58.6 KB ID:	25701

And fuselage transport jig in an effort to reduce Hanger Rash.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4363.JPG Views:	1 Size:	113.4 KB ID:	25702

Comment

You gonna bring it to Horizon?

Comment

• MarnochS
                          MarnochS commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hi Mike......that is the Plan.....
                      Working...
                      X