Sailplane Manufacturers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sailplane Manufacturers

So just wondering why no one is manufacturing large scale sailplanes here in the USA?

Seems like labor and material costs would be less in the USA than in most European countries. Shipping here is outrageous...

Regards,
    Tom

My guess is that 'scale sailplanes' aren't as popular here as they are in Europe so production runs won't be economically viable (?). Also, our labor can't compete with countries because of unfair trade policies, tariff trade laws, litigation, EPA, OSHA rules and regs, blah, blah, blah. We just can't 'fairly' compete with countries that have none of these. It's just my guess.

Comment

Uh, my shameless plug,
      Here's one...

www.aviationconceptsrc.com
      Last edited by gunny11; 02-14-2018, 05:00 AM.
      Gunny
      Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• ARUP
        ARUP commented
        Editing a comment
        You go Gunny!!! I have a 1/4 Schweizer kit!

The size of the European and Eurasian markets for scale sailplanes is significantly larger y many many times compared to North America. Soaring in general as well as scale soaring is an aspirational hobby for kids in many European nations. There are even RC flying summer camps and soaring summer camps for,kids like the one at Hannenmoos. The in-flow of participants, boutique manufacturing base, available talent interested in this niche, and ability to maintain a successful small company in design/sales outstrips the U.S.

Thank goodness Horizon brought the Blanik and ASW to market during Pete Goldsmith’s tenure, that Pete is now manufacturing superb kits, folks like Gunny at Aviation Concepts, Marc at Marc’s Laser Shop and many others are doing what they can and doing it very well.
      Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Working...
      X