No announcement yet.

40% Ka-3 part scratch part kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worked on the form to lay up a fiberglass stab cover this week. The first attempt was just too flimsy to use. The second is much more robust and will work out just fine. Also spent a little time the other day to wrap the control stick and figure out where the onboard camera mount will be located. The pilot also got a minor character build.

Comment

It has been awhile since I’ve worked in fiberglass but with four coats of high grade automotive paste wax and two coats of PVA release applied to the smooth form there was at least hope the epoxy glass cover would release from the form. After the green trim of excess fiberglass cloth while still on the form it was left overnight before trying to remove it. This morning the stab cover was gently separated from the form leaving both intact and without damage to ether. Another layer of 3.2 oz fiberglass glass an epoxy is still needed on the cover retaining brackets formed over the 1/4 and 3/16 dia doweling.
      After some cleanup of the form another stab cover will be made for Dean’s Ka-3 fuselage and glass cloth added to the current retainer brackets.

Comment

Back at it again with the installation of the elevator servos.

Comment

Getting ready to build up the wing for the Ka-3 was not exactly smooth sailing. While leveling the workbench to insure it was flat in all eight direction I managed to slice open my left index finger while cutting spacer blocks on the bandsaw. While the finger was now secured of movement, there were a few things that could be managed without much discomfort. The wing board now flat and level received 3 coats of quality car wax just to help things not stick to the vinyl surface. The wing spar jig was screwed to the wing board and checked for parallel more than a few times. While dry fitting the spar parts it was noted that the root shear web did not line up with the spar root spacer or wing mount bracket holes. Once this issue is settled work on the spars will continue. In the meantime the 1/2” wide wing rib jig blocks were drill on center so when screwed to the wing board the left wing will only shift 1/2” to the left for assembly. All the rib spacing being equal made this possible. Finish of the jig blocks holes required countersinking both sides. The lower side to remove any burr while the top was countersunk for the sheetrock screw that will be used to hold the block in place.

Comment

• ARUP
            ARUP commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry to read about your finger! It gives me the 'cringes' just thinking about it.This sure is a neat sailplane!

• Gene C
            Gene C commented
            Editing a comment
            No worries, it 's on the mend. Should be able to set wing ribs shortly.

Assembled the trim router fixture to bevel the trailing edge sheeting. Having to bevel 63" x 5/8" at 5 degrees, it seemed the only way. I must say it did not turn out as well as expected but it will work. One of the trailing edge assemblies was glued and clamped overnight then a 1/4" wedge (1/2" folded over) of epoxy and carbon tow was place inside and clamped again until the epoxy cures. This should provide a strong, straight TE. The spar location blocks were also screwed the the building board in anticipation of the upcoming wing assembly.

Comment

The spar assemblies now finished the first two wing ribs have been glued in place with shear webbing between. This only needs to be repeated 32 more times to finish placing ribs on both wing spars.

Comment

Clever clamping idea on the shear web...
              Gunny
              Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

With wings and airframe to deal with I turned my pilot figure over to a friend and artist to paint. As promised he is starting to send me process photos. This may take some time so I’ll post photos as received. With just a base coat the pilot is already taking on some character. Looking forward to seeing what develops. I hope it "won't" look like me in the end.
                Last edited by Gene C; 09-18-2018, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Now to build up the Left wing to this point before fitting the trailing edge assembly to both.

Comment

• ARUP
                    ARUP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    There sure is certain beauty in those structures!

• On second thought the trailing edge material would provide rigidity to the wing ribs while in this open state. So before starting the left wing time was spent working on the trailing edge. My collaborator on the Ka-3 suggested that the trailing edge be narrowed so as not to look so model like as compared to the full size.
                  Last edited by Gene C; 09-21-2018, 02:25 PM.

Comment

• Finished up the basic wing construction today and could not resist the temptation to assemble it outside the shop for a good look. There is yet the D tube sheeting and cap strips, let alone servos and such.

Comment

• Steve P
                      Steve P commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Absolutely fantastic!

• MarnochS
                      MarnochS commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Wow, that's look great.

• gunny11
                      gunny11 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Beautiful....!

• Back in the shop the tips of the main spars were routed for the tip Spruce spars. A few clamps were required to secure the water soaked tip spars and plenty of time to allow them to dry before proceeding. Once fully dry the spars were glued and clamped. The machine parallel was to insure that the first tip rib was a 1/32" below the wing spar, besides insuring the tip spar remained flush with the top of the wing spar.

Comment

• The pilot is getting his eyes painted this week. Looking forward to seeing how he will look in the Ka-3.

Comment

• Been working on several things at once. Started with the canopy frame with the release servo mount. Then epoxy in the rear wing mounts but also had to get a photo of the Ka-3 with the pilot to see where it should be positioned.

Comment

• The canopy frame is now a bit firmer and holding shape much better after a coat of epoxy on the Poplar doweling. For a while the other day the thought of having to make a brass tubular frame was on my mind but it's looking better this morning. If nothing else this Ka-3 airfame is making me have more patients as time is required for the epoxy joints to fully cure before proceeding. Filling and sanding is next before setting the canopy frame aside as the wing D tube sheeting needs to be done before the canopy can be finished.

Comment

Working...
                          X