Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow! WOW! WOW!!!!

Comment

• Today's efforts in the paint booth will have to be sanded out and repainted after waiting at least two days for the paint to fully cure. The struts however go back in the paint booth tomorrow afternoon to get a finish coat on the other side, weather permitting. At least they have turned out good so far.

Comment

• My lack of enthusiasm for painting can't be over stated. However it is a necessary evil to accomplish finishing the Ka-3. Worked on the fabric to wood blending on the nose area (also good practice for doing the wings) but when finished the White will extend from the nose to the aft cockpit vertical and above the upper longeron with a radius transition to the nose lower vertical. A second go at the stabs with a gloss coat of White tomorrow, weather permitting.

Comment

• Gene,

What type and brand of paint are you using?

Comment

• Gene C
            Gene C commented
            Editing a comment
            Stew2, I'm using Rust-oleum Acrylic Enamel for this build.

• Is it as slick as a slipper ship? No, but for better or worse this is it for the fuselage and stabs, less the N and tail numbers to be added later.

Comment

• That is going to look so good in the air!

Comment

• gunny11
              gunny11 commented
              Editing a comment
              And on the grass strip!

• Worked on blending the fabric covering edge to the D tube on the wings in preparation for priming. The filler needs 24hrs to cure before a light sanding is attempted. Time was spent reattaching the tail skid, TE base and TE probe and not least, false screws for the stab cover. Above all the battery, vario, R3SW receiver and 20Amp switch were all plugged in and placed forward of the instrument panel.

Comment

• Ambient temperature is back on the rise. Should be able to start painting the D section on the wings later this week. A test sample of the lettering paint on the gloss clear is required to insure there will be no chemical reactions to destroy the finish before the N numbers are panted on the fuselage.
              Getting close to finishing.

Comment

• Well that was a bit stressful, but what is done is not changing.

Comment

• ARUP
                  ARUP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks pretty good from over here!

• The right wing is now painted and in the shop for a 48hr cure. The left wing joined it a few hours later. This waiting tries the patience, but come Monday afternoon the ailerons, aileron servos and spoilers can be installed. A C/G check will then be done to adjust any nose weight before the skid skirt is attached.

Comment

• All builds must come an end the 40% Ka-3 is no exception. With final assembly and CG balance completed it only lacks the maiden flight.
                  Span 13ft
                  Wing area 2362.5 sq in.
                  Weight 23lbs
                  Wing loading 22.4 oz per sq ft
                  Wing cubic load 5.5 What I could find on this number puts it in the trainer/park flyer flight realm.

Thanks to all those that have followed. Hopefully a little knowledge was passed along in the process.

Comment

• BryanB
                    BryanB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very nice. Love it!

• ARUP
                    ARUP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    +1 I sure would like to see this up close and personal, like!

• Looking forward to seeing this beauty at Yakima in a few weeks!

Comment

• Gene,
                    Absolutely gorgeous!! I've been following your build for the last 1+ years and have found it educational and .....humbling(compared to my builds). Looking forward to seeing it in the air this summer.
                    Jim

Comment

• Wow Gene! I've been following since the beginning. Outstanding work, I love it.
                      Gunny
                      Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• Bravo Gene, well done.
                        Len Buffinton
                        Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Working...
                        X