No announcement yet.

40% Ka-3 part scratch part kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 40% Ka-3 pilots head is now ready for a body, duds an a hat, maybe even sunglasses with very dark lenses. The hands are in work but will require detailing before painting. Of course, like all fine art it is best viewed from a distance (like 50ft maybe).

Comment

• No, that looks great! Really!
      Gunny
      Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• There seems to be something missing, but I'm working on it.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	33181 some-"thing" is at the controls... "Thing" from the Adams Family, lol
          Last edited by gunny11; 01-19-2019, 08:32 AM.
          Gunny
          Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• There is one thing for certain. Fitting the clear plastic canopy eyebrows is not for the impatient modeler. Forming the leading edge radius was bad enough, but fitting it to the wings airfoil contour required the fitting, trimming procedure to be repeated and repeated an ext until you just give up for awhile and shut the shop door behind you. Somehow the second attempt is a little less repetitive.
            The areas of the wing and stabilizer that will be covered in Neutral translucent covering will have a varnish applied to the ribs and such. A start was made on that the other day. A second coat of varnish will be applied before covering is started. It should look well vintage, if not there is always the option of paint.
            Varnishing the wing ribs and such is next.

Comment

• ARUP
              ARUP commented
              Editing a comment
              If you'd build 'old timey' sailplanes like me you wouldn't have to worry about windows and such things! lol

• I've always held the assumption that properly fitting a bubble canopy was difficult. That assumption does not even compare in time and patience to the fitting of a vintage canopy at present. Looks like there is weeks of work ahead before it's back to varnishing the wings.

Comment

• Gene C
              Gene C commented
              Editing a comment
              ARUP, the full scale windscreen was sandwich between sheet metal strips and riveted according to the drawings. The lower and back of the canopy frame was of tubular construction with the windscreen riveted to it.
              I'm still pondering the rivet effect?

• gunny11
              gunny11 commented
              Editing a comment
              So how did you fuse them together? Or I should ask with what?

• Gene C
              Gene C commented
              Editing a comment
              gunny11, 560 canopy glue was used on the 40%windscreens. It seems to take an eternity to dry before you can move on to another windscreen section though. Defiantly not worth removing the clamps until it dries clear.

• With the last windscreen glued in place it's all comes down to waiting now.

Comment

• ARUP
              ARUP commented
              Editing a comment
              The tension mounts... and, hopefully, the windscreen did, too! lol

• While the canopy glue dries there is other work to be done. The V tail cover now has a coat of West Systems 105 with 410 filler to smooth out the glass work on the stabilizer contour. With the stabilizers removed the cover will be removable by just snapping free from the fuselage frame. After sanding an application of light glass cloth and PT-40 resin will be applied to the cover before painting.

Comment

• As one might say in removing a magic cover "Wha-La". The urge to see it in the clear was just too overwhelming. There is some trimming to be done, but it will all be recovered in blue painters tape before any attempt is made on that part.

Comment

• That looks GREAT!

Comment

• A good weekend to be working in the shop. Freezing weather, 30+ mph winds and snow. To do the PT-40 resin and glass cloth application, the shop temp was raised above 70 f for the past two days now, not that the shop cat could tell any difference. This was my first time at using thinned PT-40 and glass cloth to cover sheeted wood parts, the wings will be next. A second coat was applied using a 1" foam brush to the stabilizers and servo hatches today. It was also time to start adding on some vintage features like the bungee launch hook, just in case the urge arises. The fuselage nose still will require a second coat of resin but that will have to wait until tomorrow when all is cured.

Comment

• Gene,
                    I’m really enjoying your posts as you progress thru the build. Hopefully I will see it at the field this summer. Are you going to paint over the fiberglass/resin or leave it bare?
                    Jim

Comment

• Gene C
                      Gene C commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Jim,
                      The planned color scheme will be Red fuselage with the wing and stab D sections painted Red. Aft of the wing spar and elevators will be left in transparent neutral Solartex. Should be a stunner! I might even be able to see it at a distance.
                      I'm looking forward to PASS in August, hopefully it will have a few flights logged by then.

• Gene, I'm hoping I'm not leaving you in a lurch relative to sanding the front of your wings. I don't think the road from my house to your house is even open today, and more snow due this afternoon. I'm not sure I can even get outof my driveway this morning. The canopy looks wonderful. I've got the Pitts back on the work stand and making a bit of progress, but nothing to compare to your KA3.

Larry

Comment

• Gene C
                      Gene C commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Larry.
                      The leading edges of the wings have been profiled with a little help. The wings are now ready for the varnish and epoxy steps applied to the stabilizers and elevators.
                      The road conditions are deplorable due to the weather so stay home and work on the Pitts.

• Progress on the Ka-3 is rapidly getting closer to covering. The canopy has been trimmed so a fingernail will not catch on the mating edges and is ready for paint. Also the stabs are reedy for covering and paint. A spring latch concept for the center wing cover is being evaluated. Made from a modified clothespin it will snap the forward part of the cover secure to the wing mount pins. The right wing was masked off before receiving its first coat of varnish this afternoon. Things are really moving forward, but Charley is still not enthused with the project.

Comment

• Nice looking wing and everything else. You came a long way in 1 year.
                      Gunny
                      Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Working...
                      X