ASW 15 a - Silence Model, 1.75 m span

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASW 15 a - Silence Model, 1.75 m span

Hi All, Thanks to Stephane Ruelle for inviting me. I own a full scale ASW 15a with Randy Wright and I'm going to modify this B model to an A. I also plan to scan my head and print 3D at the local library's makerspace. I pretty much fly my full scale as much as I can at the Caesar Creek Soaring Club near Waynesville, Ohio. I've reduced my model fleet down to a Monach hand launch and another 1.5 meter design of mine. http://silencemodel.fr/product.php?id_product=1274

Welcome aboard! I have a 5 meter ASW 15 model so when the time comes to start working on it may I 'pick your brain' about some details?

Comment

Welcome here Chuck,

Glad you found the place, I would love to see some pictures of your build.

Hope that we will be able to fly together this summer

Stéphane
      Stéphane
      Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

Originally posted by ARUP View Post
        Welcome aboard! I have a 5 meter ASW 15 model so when the time comes to start working on it may I 'pick your brain' about some details?
        Which kit do you have?
        TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

• Tom
          Tom commented
          Editing a comment
          Second in line!

• ARUP
          ARUP commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh no... this one isn't for sale! I got a pretty good deal on it, too!

• ARUP
          ARUP commented
          Editing a comment
          It's the Airworld kit.

I've been collecting all the other ASW 15 kit documentation online. Learning where the tow hook might go and recommended Center of Gravity. On my full scale, the tow hook is on the left side next to the tire. The tow hooks on these two plans show the hooks behind the tire. I plan on adding a tow hook since I fly a lot of flatland soaring. Slopes are nearby but they take an hour to get to. I normally fly at the Ceasar Creek Soaring Club at the end of the day when all the full scale ships are back in the hangers.

The Schleicher 3 View shows the difference between the A model and the B model.

I'm also going to use a couple of Dreamflight servos for the ailerons, since they are 1/32" skinnier than the ones that I purchased from Silence. The Silence servos are proud of the lower surface of the wing and required a hatch that isn't flush with the surface.

One other modification I'm working on is making the evalons removable so I can put the ship in a rifle case or a flat box. Easier to transport.
        Last edited by ChuckLohre; 04-07-2018, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Are you going to bungee launch or aerotow? Making the model break down into smaller components is a great idea, too!

Comment

• JimD
            JimD commented
            Editing a comment
            I have seen pilots make models break down into smaller components...

• ChuckLohre
            ChuckLohre commented
            Editing a comment
            i've never aero towed a model. It's hard enough with a full scale aircraft. I had to make some extreme adjustments to aero tow a paper airplane behind a Park Flyer Champ. Namely a dihedral of 30 degrees!

Chuck, you need to come to one of the major Aerotow events this year and watch what we do. As a full-scale pilot you will be both appreciative and amazed at what we do with radio controlled models. Can almost guarantee that you will be hooked and want to do more with this sector of the hobby.
          A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Working...
          X