No announcement yet.

Harbinger Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally making some time for this bird. Worked on the fuselage servo tray frame and installed that. Laser cut the parts out of chipboard for a trial fit first. Made some adjustments and cut the good stuff. It stiffened up the nose quite a bit as you would expect and got everything aligned nicely too. This frame and the cover that goes with it will make up the floor of the cockpit hiding all the servos and goodies out of site.
    Next added a couple hardwood pieces that form the rim of the cockpit. Soldered up the wiring harness and plug for the stab and started adding the wood formers that make up the saddle for the stab. Will add some stringers this evening. Giddy-up, - David

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse Canopy Rim.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	24160

Name:	Fuse Servo Tray Former.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	24159

Name:	Stab Plug.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	24161

Comment

• Mosquito
      Mosquito commented
      Editing a comment
      Bout dang time........... .

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      What function connects to the plug? Elevator? Rudder? Both?

Arup - The plug is for the two servos in the stab. Pushrod for the rudder. - David

Comment

Guys - You have probably noticed that I haven't posted much over the last two weeks. Well I accidently breathed in a fair amount of sawdust and have had a tough time since. Ugh. I am sensitive to it and always wear a good mask and have a good vac with a filter. This time it got me. I'm feeling much better today after getting a good nasal spray Friday after a visit to the doc. I've decided to take a mini break from the Harbinger build to heal up, clean the shop, and work on other non-dust making tasks as I feel up to it. I will get after it again soon. - David

Comment

• Gene C
        Gene C commented
        Editing a comment
        It's like self inflicted COPD. I have the same issue with balsa dust. Yet we still build wood models.

• ARUP
        ARUP commented
        Editing a comment
        Bummer about the sensitivity to the wood dust. I'd go crazy if I couldn't build! Get well, buddy!

I'm a little gun shy at the moment but will be back at it. Thanks Gene.

- David

Comment

heal up David in your time away from this build.
        kevin

Comment

Would any of you have photos or drawings showing how the wing struts are attached to the wing and fuselage on the full scale Harbinger? I have a design in mind but thought a more scale connection might be worth trying. Thank you.

Comment

• ARUP
            ARUP commented
            Editing a comment
            Can you find Martin Simons on Face Book? He might have info you need. Vince Cockett on the English soaring site might have some info, too.

I do have the Martin Simon's books and a number of other photos Ive collected on the web, but I have not seen any photos of that connection. I will check out Face Book and look into Vince Cockett this weekend. Thanks Doc.

Comment

Cut and glued up the battery box yesterday. Used 1/16" scrap ply, it slides into the nose, and is held in place with one screw where my big fat fingers can get to it. I intended to use 1/8" ply but tried the 1/16" first and found that it is plenty strong for this light weight battery.

Front End

Name:	Battery Box 2.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	25796

Back

Name:	Battery Box 3.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	25797

Name:	Battery Box 1.jpg
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	25800

Attached Files

Comment

Making progress on the tow release. This is scheme.

Name:	Tow Release Section.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	25833

Comment

• ARUP
                ARUP commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice drawing and my favorite type of release!

Thanks. My favorite release as well. Mocked up the release mechanism and made the sacrificial form for the nose weight Friday evening. Seems to be okay. I have made a sub floor for servos and receiver in the cockpit area...and I think that works pretty well. Will have two hatch covers when done. I am thinking of placing the on off switch and battery indicators on the back seat console but haven't thought it through yet. I like the idea of having the switch in an accessible place and that might be on the side of the fuse.

Name:	Tow Release 2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	25896

Name:	Tow Release 3.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	25894

Name:	Tow Release 1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	25895

Name:	Nose Weight 1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	25898

Name:	Nose Weight 2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	25897

Comment

• Newman12
                Newman12 commented
                Editing a comment
                That's really coming along nicely David!

Nice work David!

Comment

Finally getting back to this build after taking a two month break. I finished up the balsa strips last weekend and then started the 1/16" balsa sheathing this weekend. Will work on the fairing around the stab and rudder next, then get on to the wings/fuse connection.
                On a side note...I really enjoyed seeing and flying with a number of you at the Horizon and Sled-Works aerotows this summer. Both were really fun, thank you. - David

Name:	20180722_204750.jpg
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	28135

Comment

Hey David,
                  It was a pleasure to see you and spend some time talking sailplanes.
                  Following this build every post!!

LEN
                  Len Buffinton
                  Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Giddy up David. Looking good Sled.

Comment

Thanks Len and Tim - I squeezed in a little shop time on this fine weekend. Moved to the underside of the fuse for the remainder of the sheathing.

Name:	Fuse Sheathing 2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	28279

Name:	Fuse Sheathing 1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	28280
                      Still have the aft 2 feet to finish up this evening. The Harbinger fuse really does have nice lines. - David

Comment

Working...
                      X