Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Schweizer 1-26E ~ 1/2.5-scale Kit by Peter Goldsmith (Build thread by JimD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantastic work, Jim. Even with a superb kit, you illustrate the care and detail that will make for a great final product.

Pete finished #1 last night. I hope we see a lot of these at events around the country in the coming years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	23170
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Steve.

As you can see from the picture above, the 1-26 is majestic...just imagine it in the sky!

The 2018 season is going to be awesome!
      A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

We finished out the stringers making sure to keep a check of the levels front and back. Don't want to build in a twist at this point!

For the bottom center stringer, we added a ply plate to the back of F5 to catch the end of this 1/4" x 3/8" stringer and to give a gluing surface for sheeting when we get to that step.

The location for the notch for the 1/4" x 1/4" side stringers was relocated after the first two kits were cut, so I had to modify F5. Looking at the original notch, we decided to add a short piece of 1/4" x 1/4" just because it looked cool! The kits will NOT have this feature.

Name:	2080 1-26.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	23175

When adding the 1/4" x 1/4" stringer to the nose, we first glued them into F3 and F4 and allowed them to be relatively straight while the glue set. Again, we thought this would help stabilize the structure before bending these stringers into their final configuration. Just taking steps to keep the fuselage as straight as possible.

Name:	2081 1-26.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	23174

The F26 axle supports were added to the keel spines.

Name:	2082 1-26.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	23180

Time to add the bottom sheeting to the keel spines. Had to modify the front to fit into the scale tow release mechanism.

Name:	2083 1-26.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	23178

Name:	2084 1-26.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	23177

Name:	2085 1-26.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	23176

And we added scrap pieces of plywood to keep the axle from moving sideways.

Name:	2086 1-26.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	23179

Then we ran the wire for the elevator servo extension back through the holes provided in the aft fuselage formers. Best to do this before the fuselage is sheeted or it will be a frustrating task!

Name:	2087 1-26.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	23181
        A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

One thing that I have noticed over the last number of years is that open wheel well let grass, dirt, and moisture get into the fuselage and often with aggravating consequences. So...we decided to make an enclosure for our wheel well.

All of the materials used here were scrap pieces from this kit...so you do not have to buy anything else to do this.

Name:	3001 1-26.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	23183

Name:	3002 1-26.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	23186

Name:	3003 1-26.JPG
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	23184

Name:	3004 1-26.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	23188

Name:	3005 1-26.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	23189

We put a strip of 1/4" x 38" scrap across in front of the wheel opening for the front tab of the 1/32" plywood sheet to rest against.

Name:	3006 1-26.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	23185

Name:	3007 1-26.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	23187
          A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• ARUP
            ARUP commented
            Editing a comment
            Jim is a Hot Rodder... tubbing his Scwheizer!

• Tango Juliet
            Tango Juliet commented
            Editing a comment
            I guess I should consider "tubbing" my T21 wheel well also. This build is really "flying" along and it looks great Jim.

My son in almost in your backyard, can I come up and see it in person and watch it fly? And can you build me one tooooooooooooooooooooooo, tks frank

Comment

• JimD
            JimD commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Frank, are you planning to come for our March event? If so, I am hoping to have this 1-26 project ready to fly...so you could see it in person.

One reason we put off sanding some of the earlier parts is because we were waiting on the UPS truck to bring these new toys!

Name:	IMG_4711.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	23201

Put the mini belt sander right to work doing what Jeremy thought we should do.

Name:	IMG_4714.JPG
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	23202

Now, because of the strip we added, the keel spine has a better curve.

Name:	IMG_4713.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	23204

And if we test fit some 1/8" balsa sheeting we get a pretty nice looking job!

Name:	IMG_4712.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	23203
          A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• Steve P
            Steve P commented
            Editing a comment
            Good gets! The Proxxon handheld belt sander is only second to the Milwaukee M12 rotary tool in my shop. Incredibly useful!

• ARUP
            ARUP commented
            Editing a comment
            I keep hand sanding to try and get 'Popeye' arms but all I have to show for it is 'Brutus' belly fat! Proxxon tools... good score!

That is a Sweet looking plane and an excellent build thread Jim

Comment

• JimD
            JimD commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Dave, looking forward to the March event!

Looks as if we will need to come up with a different type of mounting system as to make the release removable. After boxing in the sides you will not be able to remove the unit for service. Not the best thing to have.

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
            Looks as if we will need to come up with a different type of mounting system as to make the release removable. After boxing in the sides you will not be able to remove the unit for service. Not the best thing to have.
            What’s there to “service”?

TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

• JimD
              JimD commented
              Editing a comment
              Tom, that was my feeling. Not much can go wrong under normal use. If it gets abused, then the wood structure around it will likely be abused as well.

Peter supplies a simple and functional wire loop with pull pin release for this model. He uses the same setup in the Swallow. I built the Swallow using the stock release but wanted to use the scale release here because it just looks cool.

Obviously, the model does not require the scale release to fly, but it is kind of like a scale pilot...

Simple wire loop installs like this (and requires no extra cost):

Name:	Stock Release.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	23221

Compared to this with the scale release:

Name:	IMG_4689.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	23220

This is the Swallow release:

Name:	IMG_4096.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	23223

Name:	IMG_4097.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	23222

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Turned the fuselage back right side up and inspected the wheel well. This was constructed from scrap plywood in the kit.

Name:	2088 1-26.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	23226

Name:	2089 1-26.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	23225

installed the elevator servo in its mount.

Name:	2090 1-26.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	23227
              A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
                Although in almost 200 flights of my 1/3 scale 2-33 Erich's units has worked flawlessly..... I do know one person had to remove it for minor work. Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	23229 But I must agree with Erich. The unit should be removable for service. I only removed it once from my sailplane for inspection and cleaning of the unit.

Now, Erich, we don't have to redesign it. You know it's hard to keep it simple sometimes, so on the second attempt I came up with a simple retro fit thin gauge steel strap. Just drop the unit in like a cartridge and don't use the side mounting flange bolts, but leave the side flanges. Then slip on the thin gauge steel retaining strap with 2 screws.

these can be easily cut out on my access to a waterjet.
                Last edited by gunny11; 02-11-2018, 03:32 AM.
                Gunny
                Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

The wheel well came out excellent Jim.
                  that is a must have item.
                  Gunny
                  Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Originally posted by gunny11 View Post

Although in almost 200 flights of my 1/3 scale 2-33 Erich's units has worked flawlessly..... I do know one person had to remove it for minor work. Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	23229 But I must agree with Erich. The unit should be removable for service. I only removed it once from my sailplane for inspection and cleaning of the unit.

Now, Erich, we don't have to redesign it. You know it's hard to keep it simple sometimes, so on the second attempt I came up with a simple retro fit thin gauge steel strap. Just drop the unit in like a cartridge and don't use the side mounting flange bolts, but leave the side flanges. Then slip on the thin gauge steel retaining strap with 2 screws.

these can be easily cut out on my access to a waterjet.
                    You sure are putting a lot of faith in those 2 screws! The only part of the unit that is not assessable is the pivot bolt thru the arm.......odds are the pivot arm or it’s bolt will never be a problem........the only part that could possibly be damaged is the “hook” itself and the bolt holding that in is readily assessable as it hangs below the unit itself. The only other possible problem would be the linkage and that is assessable from inside the fuselage.......you’re coming up with solutions for a problem that statistically will never happen!

TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

May have to cut some G10 or aluminum for some scale wheel struts to go with the scale tow hook,, Will make the wheel tub shallower as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X