Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Schweizer 1-26E ~ 1/2.5-scale Kit by Peter Goldsmith (Build thread by JimD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aileron and spoiler hinges are made from UltraCoat covering. Cut strips 3/4" wide and iron a strip to the top of the aileron control surface, then position the aileron so that it has a slight space (1/32") between it and the wing. Iron the wing side of the 3/4" strip in place. Now flip the aileron over onto the top of the wing and iron another 3/4" strip of UltraCoat onto the underside. Note that this piece will make contact with the surface piece along the slight gap between the wing and aileron. Now flip the aileron back into its normal position and re-iron along the top to finish the hinge process. This makes a very nice clean hinge line.

Click image for larger version

Name:	158 1-26.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	24796

We used Hangar 9 Titanium Pro-Link 4-40 x 1-1/2 with a DuBro Ball Link on both ends for the aileron push rods.

Name:	159 1-26.JPG
Views:	386
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	24797

Spoilers are hinged the same as the aileron, but only with a top surface piece of UltraCoat. Gap at hinge is 1/64". The A7050 spoiler servo is hard mounted to the plywood plate in the wing (do not use the rubber grommets) The metal control horn pushes the spoiler door open and catches the wire "stirrup" when it closed. The plywood plate will need to have a clearance opening cut for this stirrup an arrangement. Wire stirrup is 8mm wide and 17mm tall. There are pre-marked holes in the spoiler for the placement of this stirrup, but those may need to be offset one direction depending on the control arm used. The Heavy Duty Hangar 9 Half Servo Arm 1" long is recommended.

Name:	160 1-26.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	24798

Name:	161 1-26.JPG
Views:	377
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	24799

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• Control Throws and CG

Ailerons: Up 55mm, Down 35mm

Elevator: 60-70mm Up & Down

Rudder: 100mm Right & Left

CG: 5-15mm in front of the wing tube with the wings on.

__________________________________________________ ___

Final all up weight of the prototype and first kit model was between 29-30 pounds.

Using a two pound scale pilot, nose ballast was about 5 pounds in each model.
      A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• Jim
        where did you get your aftermarket instrument panel for the 1-26?
        thanks
        Larry A

Comment

• BryanB
          BryanB commented
          Editing a comment
          Jim, Do you think he'll have the interior kits available at the HH AeroTow?

• JimD
          JimD commented
          Editing a comment
          Bryan, I think that is very likely...will post in this thread when his plans firm up.

• Pgoldsmith
          Pgoldsmith commented
          Editing a comment
          I cut a bunch of cockpits today, I will bring them to the upcoming AT events. Kit includes dash, Seat, control stick and stick mounts.
          Price is $30

• Erich S has started building his 1-26 kit...the first one to be started out of the first run of kits produced...and he has discovered a slight problem. 😳

Parts Sheet #2 has the ribs for the stabilizer and elevator. Should be 12 ribs for each, but there are only 11 for the elevator. Parts on this sheet were revised between the prototype and my #2 model. Incorrect length of a few parts on Sheet #2 required a reordering of their placement on Sheet #2 and, inadvertently, one the the E4 ribs was omitted.

Peter is making extra E4 ribs and they will be available at the Windy Ridge event. If you have a kit and need the rib sooner, send me a PM and we can mail one out to you.
        A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• Pgoldsmith
          Pgoldsmith commented
          Editing a comment
          Cut a bunch of E4 ribs today, my apologies for the inconvenience for those already starting on their builds. I will bring them to the upcoming AT events..

• Jim-Congratulations on build, it really turned out nice. Bill

Comment

• JimD
          JimD commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you! 😎

• New accessories for this big beautiful bird has arrived from Aviation Concepts Rc.

Scale wing tip wheels and tail wheel bracket.
        Gunny
        Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• Gunny
          Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• Many guys here are looking forward to seeing the 1-26, those accessories are really nice Gunny,
            I'll have one kit available at the event.
            Len Buffinton
            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• Yes, me too. I'll have only two sets of each with me....
              Gunny
              Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• Here is the wingtip wheel mounted on the plane:

Name:	IMG_2631.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	26062

Name:	IMG_2632.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	26061

...and the scale tailwheel

Name:	IMG_2633.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	26063
                A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• Parts like that really set the model off! The observer gets to make all of those little discoveries which makes it fun for all!

Comment

• Finally got to fly the 1-26 on a perfect day...warm, almost no wind, no SNOW...🙄

The plane is excellent, light of the controls, buoyant in the air, gentle on the landing...and Mr. Spaulding at the controls!

Name:	IMG_2649.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	26478
                    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• Link to a colorful full size for sale.
                      Wings and Wheels Classified is a great resource for detail pictures of all sorts of gliders.
                      See more at https://wingsandwheels.com/class/classified.php?id=3601
                      Last edited by RickS; 04-29-2019, 06:49 PM.
                      Rick Shelby
                      Team Horizon

Comment

• BryanB
                        BryanB commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I wonder if they make servos big enough for a 100% scale!

• RickS
                        RickS commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The servos for 100% scale are readily available. They're called "humans". :-)

• Here is Erich S's 40% Goldsmith 1-26 at the Cumberland Spring Soar for Fun:

Name:	IMG_2878.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	36110

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• RickS
                        RickS commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for posting this, Jim. I knew I had seen that color scheme on this site before but couldn't find it.
                    Working...
                    X