Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slingsby T-45 Swallow ~ 1/3-scale Kit by Peter Goldsmith (Build thread by JimD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Swallow sitting in a gaggle of Peter Goldsmith Designs models.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2646.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	26460
    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      No.152 issue of Vintage Glider News shows the Spanish EC-JGR flying!

Need to get my 1-26 done.
    Great job on the covering scheme Jim.

Comment

• JimD
      JimD commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Erich!

Got the maiden plus one late in the day today...what a sweet flying sailplane!!!

Peter amid his creations...

Name:	IMG_2647.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	26468
    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      I wonder what Peter has up his sleeve next?

The Swallow made numerous flights at both the Windy Ridge Aerotow and the Horizon Hobby Aerotow, so we have a fairly good read on its flying characteristics.

A lot of people looked at the Swallow and asked questions about it. I'm sure there are other people out there with other questions, so don't be afraid to ask.

Name:	IMG_2654.JPG
Views:	426
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	27580

Name:	IMG_2655.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	27581
    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      I hope to build mine this winter! Are you going to get a lady pilot?

• JimD
      JimD commented
      Editing a comment
      That's the plan since the full-scale is owned by a woman.

Jim, I love colorful schemes and yours is a beauty. Always looking for something different, I’ve come across a scheme with blue wings and silver fuse plus extra colors. I would have to do the early canopy though, could you take a photo of the canopy area to give me an idea of what I would need to do? I want to build a Goldsmith kit and trying to decide which one. His current build is on my radar as well. And I think you used Oracover/Ultrakote?

Comment

Hi Dennis,

It would be very easy to modify the canopy opening by adding another former before completing the top balsa sheeting. Then a new canopy frame could be made to fit the opening... and maybe the canopy supplied could be cut down to work on the new frame.

My model is covered with Ultrakote and we used Deluxe Materials Cover Grip to lock the edges (love this stuff!!!).

Here are some pictures taken around the time I was sheeting the top of the fuselage.

Name:	IMG_4103.JPG
Views:	406
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	27682

Name:	IMG_4114.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	27681

Name:	IMG_4135.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	27680

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• JimD
        JimD commented
        Editing a comment
        Graphics were done by Callie Graphics.

Since completing the Swallow, about two dozen flights have been logged and the plane has been trimmed to suit my flying style. After making a number of adjustments to the balance point during the first flights, we have now flown the Swallow at different locations under different conditions and are very satisfied.

Current AUW is 20 pounds 10 ounces

Center of Gravity (measured at the root) is 179mm.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2715.JPG Views:	1 Size:	113.9 KB ID:	30122

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2714.JPG Views:	1 Size:	72.7 KB ID:	30120

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2716.JPG Views:	1 Size:	84.0 KB ID:	30121
      A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Hi Jim...I wanted to ask about balancing. I know you said that you moved some items around. The TG3 has a balance box, but I realize that is a different design.

Is your battery in the nose?

I have my fuselage and tail feathers built, now moving on to the wings, so I don't have a sense for where my balance is.

Hoping I don't need to add to the nose.

Thanks in advance.

Gordon

Comment

Hi Gordon, the batteries (approx 11.4 oz) are in the nose and additional ballast was needed for balance. In order to keep the needed weight to a minimum, the four balsa nose blocks were hollowed out and filled with lead shot and epoxy. I don't remember to exact amount of lead weight added, but it was probably around 16 oz. Additional small weights (that can be added and removed) were used to fine tune for the best flight CG.

Others have built this model with a flying weight significantly more than mine and they fly fine. I have learned that AUW on a model this size is not such a big deal. Extra weight is not necessarily your enemy...actually can be a good thing!

Jim
          A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Jim-

Thanks for the quick response and the detail. Peter did tell me to watch the weight in the tail. I feel better now knowing that you added weight to the nose cone...

I will keep the batteries in the nose as well.

Talk to you soon.

Gordon

Comment

For anyone interested in more cockpit pictures or the early production canopy design, check out the UK site.

Comment

Working...
              X