Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you very much, Chris! These old timers can't help but be pretty because they are what they are... very simple but elegant machines. I don't have much to do with it. I plan to fly with y'all at Cumby come July and the Professor will come along.

• ChrisL
    replied
    ARUP, you make ART. Hope you bring her to Cumberland and the Summer Winds are gentle.

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    replied
    Thanks to Len B,Peter G and Stephane R for helping me maiden the model. It flew fine but because of high winds only flew twice.

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    Merci mon ami! I can't wait to see everyone and I am getting 'antsy' for more aerotow action!

• French1
    commented on 's reply
    well done Mike, see you in couple days, can't wait to see it in person

• ARUP
    replied
    Hallo! The Professor is done! The box with foam inserts to hold components is finished. The wing gap covers from lithoplate are finished. The pilot has a seat belt so he won't make an inadvertent dirt dive. The receiver and satellite are in place and all controls wiggle the proper amount in the proper direction. Lastly, the balance is at 28% MAC. 2019 Horizon Aerotow at Muncie Indiana here I come!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3955.JPG
Views:	394
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	37054Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3956.JPG
Views:	378
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	37055

Name:	IMG_3951.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	37056Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3952.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	37057

Name:	IMG_3953.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	37058Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3954.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	37059

Name:	IMG_3957.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	37060

Gute nacht!

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks, Len! Get the logbook out so you can enter another 'maiden'!
    Dion, the tie might make a comeback but I certainly won't be able! It goes back to the days of what a 'well heeled' alternative music fan might wear to a show! lol

• Dion Dunn
    commented on 's reply
    I can't believe he sacrificed one of his leather ties. They will make a comeback one of these days....

• lenb
    replied
    not only did we learn a new technique, we learned you wore a LEATHER tie??

Nice job bud, looking forward to seeing this plane in Indiana next week.

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    replied
    I asked my buddy Bill about wet forming leather. Bill is the same friend who helped me put the engine and tranny in the '59 Bug! He is a really good re-curve archer and leather worker! Soak the leather in hot water then stretch it around the form to dry. It'll pretty much hold its shape. It was put on the headrest which is 'cover' for the wing retention system at the pylon! A socket was used to fit over the mold for compression by clamps while leather dried. The same method was used for epoxy cure, too. After the epoxy cured the leather was trimmed with a new X-acto blade. All that is left on this build are seat belts and wing gap covers.

Name:	IMG_3941.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	36969Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3942.JPG
Views:	393
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	36970

Name:	IMG_3943.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	36971Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3946.JPG
Views:	402
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	36972

Name:	IMG_3947.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	36973Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3948.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	36974

Name:	IMG_3949.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	36975

Gute nacht!

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    replied
    I started building the box and the cockpit coaming was put in place using leather from an old tie.

Name:	IMG_3944.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	36965Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3945.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	36966

Name:	IMG_3950.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	36967

more...

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    Than you, Jim! That Giant Swallowtail is beautiful!

• JimD
    replied
    Michael, impressive build as usual, you are a master craftsman!

Spotted this Giant Swallowtail Butterfly on my way up the mountain last week...this seemed like the right place to post the photo!

Name:	IMG_2920.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	36934

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    replied
    The venturi is finished and just needs to be mounted. Brass tubing was cut to size then Stay-Brite soldered onto brass sheet then the central air pass hole was drilled. A hole was drilled into the side for the 'tube' to mount. The tube is music wire. Metal cutting shears were used to rough cut the assembly free then a Dremel was used to trim a little closer. I taped the tubing in case the Dremel wheel touched the tube. Hand files used for final sanding of the sheet edge to the tube's edge keeping things 'square'. A paper pattern was used to fashion the venturi's rear cone section. When satisfied the pattern was traced onto lithoplate. The lithoplate was cut and carefully rolled into a cone then epoxied into the tubing/sheet assembly. After epoxy cured the fore portion of the venturi was masked while the rear cone section got lots of primer and sanding treatments to hide the seam in the lithoplate. I forgot to take pictures of the 'cone rolling party' but I'll tell you a secret... it was a bit of a pain in the rear getting it quasi-proper! I could always have it 3-D printed but then it wouldn't be 'mine'! I'll finish the gap covers and head rest tomorrow. Look at the beautiful iris!

Name:	IMG_3933.JPG
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	36921Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3934.JPG
Views:	403
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	36922

Name:	IMG_3935.JPG
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	36923Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3938.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	36924

Name:	IMG_3939.JPG
Views:	427
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	36925Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3926.JPG
Views:	412
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	36926

C'ya!

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you, Gene! Just as with Dion this one would look great flying with your Ka! I would sure like to get 'out west' to fly with y'all!
Working...
X