1:4 1928 RRG Professor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimD View Post
    So is it going to be ready for Cumberland this month???
    What he said! Hop hop!
    TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      I wish but no way!!! I'd like my burger 'medium' please. That's one big reason I'm coming to Cumberland!

• All my Burgers are Well Done!!!.................looking after your Health

Comment

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      Tom P is gonna make the German burgers! I know some folks like their burgers crunchy but not me! lol

• The outer panel was taken off the board so that the bottom edges of the ribs could be sanded fair. The ribs for the other panel were put next to their counterparts so that these could be sanded to match. Other than the nose portions being a little 'fat' the ribs match up nice! That's a good testament to the drafting exercise early on! Next, the outer panel and inner panel were laid together inverted so that the bottom spar notches could be cut into the outer panel using the inner as a guide or reference. A straight edge was used to guide the saw and a scrap piece of spar stock was used to guarantee the fitment as the notches were sanded to the proper depth. Remember... the spar gets thinner toward the tip by design. The wing rod tube was let into the ribs. A jig was made to guide the 'hole cutter'. The 'hole cutter' is just brass tube with serrated edges on one end. The serrations were made with a Dremel cut-off wheel. The jig just keeps the cutter at the proper depth. The spar temporarily placed was used as a guide for the 'hole cutter'. When satisfied this was pulled off the board so I could start on the other outer panel. More work will get done to these later.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2810.JPG Views:	1 Size:	56.2 KB ID:	24011Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2811.JPG Views:	1 Size:	51.7 KB ID:	24012

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2812.JPG Views:	1 Size:	36.7 KB ID:	24013Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2813.JPG Views:	1 Size:	42.4 KB ID:	24014

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2814.JPG Views:	1 Size:	31.3 KB ID:	24015Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2815.JPG Views:	1 Size:	44.5 KB ID:	24016

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2816.JPG Views:	1 Size:	45.1 KB ID:	24017

The wing tube and joiner rod are in place in the last picture. More to come.
    Last edited by ARUP; 03-05-2018, 02:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARUP View Post
      Tom P is gonna make the German burgers! I know some folks like their burgers crunchy but not me! lol
      Medium rare baby! Jeremy can have his shoe leather burgers if he wants....mine has to “Moo” when I bite into it!
      TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

• Tom I believe you want Steak Tartare................and it's all yours!

Comment

• Tango Juliet
          Tango Juliet commented
          Editing a comment
          I wouldn't eat it for $1000! Raw ground meat is asking for trouble! Heck, I don't even eat steak that's been cooked less than Medium, and prefer Medium-Well!

• ARUP
          ARUP commented
          Editing a comment
          Awww, TJ.... I'm just 'ribbing' Jeremy! Pun intended.

• Tango Juliet
          Tango Juliet commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I knew that.

• Originally posted by Swiss1 View Post
        Tom I believe you want Steak Tartare................and it's all yours!
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_tartare
        Nope.....just a medium rare burger thank you.....
        TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

• First pics shows the beginning of ribs to LE and TE assembly. It's pretty fragile and 'floppy' at this stage! The second pic shows the center and outer panels being aligned in order to cut spar slots. The third pic shows straight edge being used to cut one side of spar slots. The scrap spar will be used to guide the saw for the other side and for proper depth of the slot. Once the spar was dry fitted it was used to guide the 'hole cutter' for the wing rod receiver tube. The fourth pic shows packing fitted to the wing tube then the packing and spar were epoxied in place. The straight edge was used to make sure the spar stayed flat. The fifth pic shows outer panel connected to center panel.with joiner tube. Time to build the other panel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2822.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	24259Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2823.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	24260

Name:	IMG_2824.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	24261Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2825.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	24262

Name:	IMG_2826.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	24263

More...

Comment

• The first outer panel was used as a guide to make the other. The root ribs were all made together so are perfect with respect to each other. Misalignment errors do creep into the build so to make sure that doesn't happen with respect to the second outer panel dimensions were taken off the first and transferred to the second. The spar to LE is 11mm at the tip so this was used for the second panel. A straight edge from this tip point to the spar slot at the root was then fixed to the panel then the panel was aligned to the inner one making sure the spars will be aligned for each. The first pic shows packing being fabricated. This was done after dry fitting the spar and using the 'hole cutter' for the wing tube. The groove was sanded into the edge then the cut was made to fit the depth from the tube to the spar. Just as with the first outer panel the packing was epoxied along with the spar. The straight edge was used to make sure the spar stayed flat. The last pics just show the epoxy curing.

Name:	IMG_2827.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	24266Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2828.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	24267

Name:	IMG_2829.JPG
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	24268Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2830.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	24269

Name:	IMG_2831.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	24270

Next to put onto the panels is the bottom portion of the 'D' tube sheeting. After this the panels will be placed onto a jig for proper washout before fitting the top spar and closing the 'D' tube with sheeting.

Comment

• Thank goodness for a nice 'stash' of Ambroid! It is great for edge gluing balsa because, after sanding, the joint 'disappears'! Sheeting was made up from 1/16" balsa for the outer panels. The piece near the tip was put onto the wing first. There is a bit of scrap balsa laminated onto one of the ribs so the sheeting has a place to land. Once the glue dries the other part of the sheeting will get put onto it.

Name:	IMG_2832.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	24301Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2833.JPG
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	24302

Name:	IMG_2835.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	24303Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2834.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	24304

Buenas noches!

Comment

• We got a snow surprise! It rained and the wind blew, then it sleeted and then the snow stuck to all of that! It sure was pretty! I slipped the outer panels onto the inner for grins. That's a lotta wing area! Currently, the aileron spars are getting 'cut in' to the structure and a neat method will drive the ailerons to use cables in scale locations without the need for crummy servo hatches spoiling the 'scale look'! It's all about 'smoke and mirrors'... baby!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2836.JPG Views:	1 Size:	54.0 KB ID:	24415Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2837.JPG Views:	1 Size:	63.8 KB ID:	24416
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2840.JPG Views:	1 Size:	41.3 KB ID:	24417

Gute nacht!

Comment

• The aileron false spar slots were cut and the false spars were let into the structure. The outer portion of the spars are thinner stock because the aileron (and wing) tapers in chord and thickness. After this was done the wing was put back onto the board top side up and with the wash out jig in place so that the upper spar and wing tube packing could be epoxied in place. A bit of masking tape acts as a depth-of-cut gauge for the slots. The same method of using a straight edge to guide the saw cuts was used. A scrap of appropriately wide scrap was used to make the slots an interference fit for the spar so even if the spar isn't dead straight it will be after being let into the structure.

Name:	IMG_2859.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	24477Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2860.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	24478

Name:	IMG_2861.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	24479Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2862.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	24480

Name:	IMG_2863.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	24481

The aileron false spar is in two parts so that separating the two will be easier. They are pinned together so that they could be glued to the structure as a unit. More to come.

Comment

• Swiss1
                    Swiss1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    !3 weeks Mr Kelly! Tic Toc.

• ARUP
                    ARUP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yessir, Jeremy... Father Time keeps marching! It'll be ready barring accident or catastrophe!

• The outer panels have their upper and lower spars along with their lower aileron spars installed. Next will be the 'cutting-in' of the upper aileron spars into the structure so not much of a photo-op, there. It would just be a repeat of the previous stuff! The shear webbing is getting installed. That is a visually boring job but a 'cute' little device was fabricated to clamp the webbing in place while the epoxy cures. This pair of doo-dads were made necessary because the wing tubes are a bit wider than the spars. The webs have to bend around the wing tubes a tiny bit. The spar edges were sanded fair to the wing tubes to get as tight a fit as possible. The root end of the spar will be under the most stress, I reckon. The shear webbing is cut 'on the bias' as per full scale practice and is probably over kill but that's all right! The first pic shows epoxy curing while the 'doo-dads' were holding the shear webs in place with the aid of a clamp. The next pic shows the root end shear webs in place with the doo-dads and loose shear webs lying about. Two tiny thin spacers keep the doo-dads from getting stuck to the sheeting in case some epoxy squeezes out.

Name:	IMG_2875.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	24575Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2876.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	24576

The next post will be when the shear webbing and upper aileron spars are done. Cheers!

Comment

• Michael the artist...no other word describes you ...
                    awesome.
                    kevin

Comment

• ARUP
                      ARUP commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Kevin, thanks for checking out the build. Like I told Tim... if I start cutting off my ears or doing some other strange things then maybe my 'art' might become worth something! lol

• JimD
                      JimD commented
                      Editing a comment
                      ...and Don McLean might write a song about you!

• Great stuff Michael. Thank you for sharing your fine work.

Comment

• ARUP
                      ARUP commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hi David, if this will encourage just one person to build then it will be worth the time. I really enjoy this stuff and get lost in time and place doing this!

• I thought you already were missing part of your ear Michael ??? I must have mistaken that...
                    kevin

Comment

• ARUP
                      ARUP commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I did get a small chunk taken out of my nose last week! Some kind of 'wart' or other... will find out soon when get lab results.
                  Working...
                  X