Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARUP
    replied
    All the covering and nitrate doping is done! The fin was epoxied in place. A temporarily installed dowel segment sharpened in a pencil sharpener was used to locate where to drill for the peg that will secure the fin to the fuselage this end. Masking tape was used to delineate where Stix-It adhesive was applied. The bottom surface is concave so it is very important to get the fabric properly attached. The 'Dope Spreader Tool' is shown. Put a little dope onto the structure to 'prime', lay down the dope spreader tool then slather dope onto the tool as it is dragged across the fabric. The dope gets put onto the fabric really fast and none gets pushed through the fabric to pool. I put three coats of nitrate dope onto the model this way. Next to do is finishe the ply sheeting around the fin. Stay tuned!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3189.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	28308Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3190.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	28309

Name:	IMG_3191.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	28310Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3192.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	28311

Name:	IMG_3193.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	28312Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3194.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	28313

Name:	IMG_3195.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	28314Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3196.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	28315

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    That looks inviting. Maybe I can be the next vagrant!

• Dion Dunn
    replied
    Phase 1 is complete, thanks for asking. No more 12 year old vagrant camping out.

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    I have mahogany veneers 'in stock'! lol So how's the deck? Done? Still have vagrants 'camping out' on the furniture?

• Dion Dunn
    replied
    Michael, I need a new pair of end tables in mahogany for the new deck. Let me know when you are accepting orders.....

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    replied
    More covering pictures. This is the center section. Again, masking tape put down then Stix-It put onto structure. Covering put onto this and tacked down with an iron at 200 degrees. More masking tape put on it to keep the Stix-It tidy on the fabric. The lower surface has undercamber so the ribs received adhesive and tape, too. After the Stix-It dried a sharp X-acto blade was used along the outer perimeter edges of the masking tape. Then the fabric was tightened with the iron. Once the other wing panels and ailerons are covered, nitrate dope then varnish will be applied.

Name:	IMG_3113.JPG
Views:	366
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	27259Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3114.JPG
Views:	378
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	27260

Good day!

Leave a comment:

• French1
    commented on 's reply
    No problemo Mike, help you will have

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    Stéphane- met too but look at the comment above. I would like your assistance with an ASW20 and an ASG29. The 29 is a Robbe kit and has a 5m span.

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    Mark- I'm still plugging away but since there isn't a storage facility this year I'm not so keen to bring the 'old timers'. All the nuts and bolts and struts and gap covers and screws... it's just too much to do twice a day for the event. Heck... at Horizon a gust caused the Eaglet stab to get a hole poked into it from a ball driver. I got a little miffed even though it is repairable. I'll have to break out the silk and dope!

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    Scott- thanks for the mask info. Next time I have Callie Graphics do some work I'll ask her to use the thin mask material. Thanks much for the kind words. I really appreciate them. The poor Professor is a little rougher than the photos make it appear but it's been a fun project so far (except when the tow release got locked up)

• French1
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkRobbins View Post
    still hoping I get to pull this thing up at SLED-WORKS this year!!! GET IT DONE!
    Mike

keep going ! I would really like to see it in person for the SLED Aerotow

Leave a comment:

• MarkRobbins
    replied
    still hoping I get to pull this thing up at SLED-WORKS this year!!! GET IT DONE!

Leave a comment:

• Alexis Scott
    replied
    You are an inspiration Arup, i have a suggestion for jext time Callie cuts masks for you there is a masking film that is cut the same way as vinyl but its much thinner and almost rubbery in its texture that when you rub it down you can see the grain of the wood underneath, i used it on my Lo100 and will definitely be using it again, fantastic material, you can use a carrier film on the outside to apply it that you remove just before paint, i just used strips of green masking tape for carrying the film and that worked great for me, cant wait to see your beautiful project complete and flying, best of luck Alexis

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    replied
    More pictures... the first just shows the fabric being sized but before any adhesive put on it. The second shows fabric glued on and excess trimmed away. It just needs a little tightening with heat.

Name:	IMG_3109.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	27136Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3110.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	27137

Name:	IMG_3111.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	27138Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3112.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	27139

The last pic shows fabric in place waiting for excess to get cut away using masking tape as a guide.

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    replied
    Back to hobby! The ailerons were cut free from the wings. The forgotten gussets were added to the center section, outer panels and ailerons...all ~88 or so of them! Fabric was sized and cut... 10 pieces for the wings and 6 pieces for the tail feathers. Masking tape was laid down to delineate were the adhesive (Stix-It) goes. The top of the ribs don't need adhesive but the undercambered portion of the wings do. After attaching fabric a new X-acto blade is used to cut excess fabric away using the masking tape as a guide. It works really well. When all panels are covered I'll use the iron to get rid of fold-lines in the fabric. For the most part, the fabric is pretty tight without heat and dope will tighten it a bit more.

Name:	IMG_3106.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	27129Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3107.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	27130

Name:	IMG_3108.JPG
Views:	279