Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARUP
    replied
    Good evening! All the ply has been put onto the model. Whoopee! The struts got more planing and sanding to shape. Their ends are getting drilled starting with small diameter bits and working up to 1/8". It is very tedious drilling end grain wood! Images will get uploaded whenever the website allows it. I hate frickin' computers and related computer crap!

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    replied
    After some set backs with the Motyl build I thought I'd give that one a rest and work on the Professor. The last bits 1/64" of ply are being put onto the fuselage. Lot of cutting, trial fittings and sanding going on here. I do the sanding out doors so am glad the weather is nice! Some filler is let into the open are where the skid is so that 1/64" ply can be glued in place here as a fairing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3869.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	36561Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3870.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	36562

Name:	IMG_3871.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	36563

After the glue dries on the filler pieces in last pic the rest of the ply gets put in place and the skinning will be done! The struts will get finish sanded then their end fittings will get fabricated and inserted.

Leave a comment:

• Mark9
    commented on 's reply
    Darn now I need to build a work table on the patio....

Rained another .7" here last night the fields are swamps!

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    Mark9- get a belt sander... they're great! I can swap different grits easily. Mine is a DeWalt as are my other power tools.

Al- Thanks! This stuff is done outdoors! Mother Nature sneezed and now it's raining! yuck!

• Al Clark
    commented on 's reply
    Nice sanding! Bet your shop has a good coating of spruce dust now.

• Mark9
    commented on 's reply
    Probably a little dusty too? I might need to get a hand belt sander too, but would need a bench on the patio...

• ARUP
    replied
    Wow! This build is coming on a year since started. How 'tempus fugit'! The struts were sawn from spruce stock obtained from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty. Before sawing the board was clamped to the bench and a belt sander was run across each end each side to taper the ends properly. Before sanding, a line was penciled onto the ends dividing the upper side from the lower side equally. After cutting struts from the board they were roughly carved to an airfoil shape using a sharp knife. The belt sander was clamped to the bench this time then the struts were sanded to a finer shape free hand. Then they were hand sanded to 'finish grade'. I'm 'pooped' after all of this sanding work. Next, the wing will be offered to the fuselage so that the struts and their fittings can be set.

Name:	IMG_3583.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	31022Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3584.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	31023

Good night!

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks, Gunny! I told my buddy about your PT-19. I'm trying to get some folks interested in sailplanes around here. I took buddy's Calypso glider and flew it for over 20 minutes without power. He was amazed!

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    TJ, these sailplanes' control surfaces don't need much travel.

• Tango Juliet
    commented on 's reply
    It surely won't happen this year. In fact, I may have to rebuild the Elevators. They're too narrow at the fuse to get full Down travel.

• gunny11
    replied
    Nice work Mike! Finish is looking great.

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    Tj- keep plugging away. It would be cool if you had it ready for NARCA.

• Tango Juliet
    commented on 's reply
    That's what I was thinking. Thanks for confirming. I set my project aside to do some smaller ones first. I'll get back to it this winter again.

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    Hey TJ, the pic shows my left hand holding the tool. The big brush will be in the right. The brush is loaded with dope. Apply the lots of dope to the tool and as the dope seeps through the fabric of the tool (the same fabric with which you cover the air frame) it will get spread to the model's fabric as you drag the tool across the fabric. Surface tension and capillary forces are at work so the dope won't get pushed through the model's fabric to unreachable places!

• Tango Juliet
    commented on 's reply
    I'm not sure I fully understand your Dope Spreading Tool, but the finished product looks great! Maiden should be soon, huh?
Working...
X