No announcement yet.

1:4 1928 RRG Professor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• still hoping I get to pull this thing up at SLED-WORKS this year!!! GET IT DONE!

Comment

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      Mark- I'm still plugging away but since there isn't a storage facility this year I'm not so keen to bring the 'old timers'. All the nuts and bolts and struts and gap covers and screws... it's just too much to do twice a day for the event. Heck... at Horizon a gust caused the Eaglet stab to get a hole poked into it from a ball driver. I got a little miffed even though it is repairable. I'll have to break out the silk and dope!

• Originally posted by MarkRobbins View Post
    still hoping I get to pull this thing up at SLED-WORKS this year!!! GET IT DONE!
    Mike

keep going ! I would really like to see it in person for the SLED Aerotow
    Stéphane
    Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      Stéphane- met too but look at the comment above. I would like your assistance with an ASW20 and an ASG29. The 29 is a Robbe kit and has a 5m span.

• French1
      French1 commented
      Editing a comment
      No problemo Mike, help you will have

• More covering pictures. This is the center section. Again, masking tape put down then Stix-It put onto structure. Covering put onto this and tacked down with an iron at 200 degrees. More masking tape put on it to keep the Stix-It tidy on the fabric. The lower surface has undercamber so the ribs received adhesive and tape, too. After the Stix-It dried a sharp X-acto blade was used along the outer perimeter edges of the masking tape. Then the fabric was tightened with the iron. Once the other wing panels and ailerons are covered, nitrate dope then varnish will be applied.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3113.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	27259Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3114.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	27260

Good day!

Comment

• Michael, I need a new pair of end tables in mahogany for the new deck. Let me know when you are accepting orders.....

Comment

• ARUP
        ARUP commented
        Editing a comment
        I have mahogany veneers 'in stock'! lol So how's the deck? Done? Still have vagrants 'camping out' on the furniture?

• Phase 1 is complete, thanks for asking. No more 12 year old vagrant camping out.

Comment

• ARUP
        ARUP commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks inviting. Maybe I can be the next vagrant!

• All the covering and nitrate doping is done! The fin was epoxied in place. A temporarily installed dowel segment sharpened in a pencil sharpener was used to locate where to drill for the peg that will secure the fin to the fuselage this end. Masking tape was used to delineate where Stix-It adhesive was applied. The bottom surface is concave so it is very important to get the fabric properly attached. The 'Dope Spreader Tool' is shown. Put a little dope onto the structure to 'prime', lay down the dope spreader tool then slather dope onto the tool as it is dragged across the fabric. The dope gets put onto the fabric really fast and none gets pushed through the fabric to pool. I put three coats of nitrate dope onto the model this way. Next to do is finishe the ply sheeting around the fin. Stay tuned!

Name:	IMG_3189.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	28308Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3190.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	28309

Name:	IMG_3191.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	28310Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3192.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	28311

Name:	IMG_3193.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	28312Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3194.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	28313

Name:	IMG_3195.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	28314Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3196.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	28315

Comment

• ARUP
        ARUP commented
        Editing a comment
        Tj- keep plugging away. It would be cool if you had it ready for NARCA.

• Tango Juliet
        Tango Juliet commented
        Editing a comment
        It surely won't happen this year. In fact, I may have to rebuild the Elevators. They're too narrow at the fuse to get full Down travel.

• ARUP
        ARUP commented
        Editing a comment
        TJ, these sailplanes' control surfaces don't need much travel.

• Nice work Mike! Finish is looking great.
      Gunny
      Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• ARUP
        ARUP commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Gunny! I told my buddy about your PT-19. I'm trying to get some folks interested in sailplanes around here. I took buddy's Calypso glider and flew it for over 20 minutes without power. He was amazed!

• Wow! This build is coming on a year since started. How 'tempus fugit'! The struts were sawn from spruce stock obtained from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty. Before sawing the board was clamped to the bench and a belt sander was run across each end each side to taper the ends properly. Before sanding, a line was penciled onto the ends dividing the upper side from the lower side equally. After cutting struts from the board they were roughly carved to an airfoil shape using a sharp knife. The belt sander was clamped to the bench this time then the struts were sanded to a finer shape free hand. Then they were hand sanded to 'finish grade'. I'm 'pooped' after all of this sanding work. Next, the wing will be offered to the fuselage so that the struts and their fittings can be set.

Name:	IMG_3583.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	31022Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3584.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	31023

Good night!

Comment

• Al Clark
        Al Clark commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice sanding! Bet your shop has a good coating of spruce dust now.

• ARUP
        ARUP commented
        Editing a comment
        Mark9- get a belt sander... they're great! I can swap different grits easily. Mine is a DeWalt as are my other power tools.

Al- Thanks! This stuff is done outdoors! Mother Nature sneezed and now it's raining! yuck!

• Mark9
        Mark9 commented
        Editing a comment
        Darn now I need to build a work table on the patio....

Rained another .7" here last night the fields are swamps!

• After some set backs with the Motyl build I thought I'd give that one a rest and work on the Professor. The last bits 1/64" of ply are being put onto the fuselage. Lot of cutting, trial fittings and sanding going on here. I do the sanding out doors so am glad the weather is nice! Some filler is let into the open are where the skid is so that 1/64" ply can be glued in place here as a fairing.

Name:	IMG_3869.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	36561Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3870.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	36562

Name:	IMG_3871.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	36563

After the glue dries on the filler pieces in last pic the rest of the ply gets put in place and the skinning will be done! The struts will get finish sanded then their end fittings will get fabricated and inserted.

Comment

• Good evening! All the ply has been put onto the model. Whoopee! The struts got more planing and sanding to shape. Their ends are getting drilled starting with small diameter bits and working up to 1/8". It is very tedious drilling end grain wood! Images will get uploaded whenever the website allows it. I hate frickin' computers and related computer crap!

Attached Files

Comment

• Here is the skid clad in ply. The strut end fittings were made and epoxied into the struts after getting the struts cut to length. First one main strut was done so the epoxy could cure then the other was finished. The rear struts get scarfed onto the main struts so that will be the project for tomorrow.

Name:	IMG_3880.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	36596Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3882.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	36595

Name:	IMG_3878.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	36597Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3879.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	36598

Name:	IMG_3881.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	36599

Gute nacht!

Comment

• The main struts were joined up with the aft struts in situ after much trial and error sanding. The first pic shows the start of the process... marking, sanding, sanding then sanding more and more... Once the epoxy cured they were removed for finish sanding and staining. A picture of the stain used is shown. It gets thinned 50% with water and being a water based stain doesn't affect glue joints. I stain joints before gluing so that after sanding the joint the wood isn't 'white' where the glue has been absorbed. Everything will get polyurethane varnish tomorrow. This bird is almost done! Some detail items like a venturi and cockpit coaming are needed then the rudder cables can get set up. Whoopee!

Name:	IMG_3883.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	36616Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3889.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	36617

Name:	IMG_3891.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	36618Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3892.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	36619

Gute nacht!

Comment

• Hallo! Here are some pics of structures with semi-gloss polyurethane varnish applied with a brush. Tweezers were kept handy to remove debris and loose brush hairs. The color change is very noticeable after varnish applied. Beauty! When these dry the other sides can get done then a second coat will get put in place.

Name:	IMG_3902.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	36633Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3903.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	36634

Name:	IMG_3904.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	36635Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3905.JPG
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	36636

Auf Wiedersehen!

Comment

• Mehr... The skid was attached to the fuselage. The guide tube for the nut driver tool works flawlessly! Proctor Enterprises brass fittings were modified to make the connection from the pull-pull cables to the rudder horns. A split pin facilitates removal of the rudder from the fin. Beauty shots follow. The venturi is getting fabricated. Seat belts are needed. Gap covers for the wings are needed. Cockpit coaming is needed. A storage box is needed. Flying will commence after receiver installed.

Name:	IMG_3908.JPG
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	36759Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3909.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	36760

Name:	IMG_3910.JPG
Views:	199