No announcement yet.

1:4 1928 RRG Professor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Mike, you should come to our Long Island Dawn Patrol Event out here on Long Island. It's a total blast!!!!
    Gunny
    Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• gunny11
      gunny11 commented
      Editing a comment
      We all get up 1/2 hour before the sun comes up and have a gaggle of WWI planes in the air

• Here's a picture from 2 years ago
    Gunny
    Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      That would be cool! I'd like to fly with y'all there. I've been to Rhinebeck as a spectator! I even met Rita and Cole Palen!!!

• Pic shows difference with and without stain. Now just waiting for stain to dry. Will cut ailerons free tonight and start covering everything. I'm still waiting on the UPS delivery of spruce in order to make struts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3096.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	26734

Later!

Comment

• Gene C
      Gene C commented
      Editing a comment
      Outstanding ARUP realizing the time it takes to achieve.

• Thanks, Gene C!

Stencils arrived from Callie Graphics and were put to immediate use! Vinyl(the masks) and dope(thinners) aren't very compatible so extremely light mist coats were sprayed with a good five minutes between each coat. After an hour and a half...it was done! BTW...Vinyl doesn't stick well to wood so I had to continually rub the stencils onto the surface... even while spraying. It was a 'ticklish' feat!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3097.JPG Views:	1 Size:	48.7 KB ID:	26771Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3098.JPG Views:	1 Size:	47.1 KB ID:	26772

The spruce stock was delivered the same day as the masks so a start was made on the struts after the painting was done. The spruce was clamped to the workbench outside and a belt sander was applied to each end on both sides creating a taper. Rough strut blanks were then cut from the stock. The fore struts (~540mm long) are a little wider the the aft ones(~560mm long). They will require more sanding to get an airfoil shape then fittings will get let into their ends.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3099.JPG Views:	1 Size:	56.6 KB ID:	26774Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3100.JPG Views:	1 Size:	53.9 KB ID:	26773

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3101.JPG Views:	1 Size:	56.7 KB ID:	26775

I'm beat! I've been going since 5:00 AM. Besides doing the above stuff I got all six hairs cut at the barber shop, did some banking to move money around since surgery/doctor bills need to be paid, bought quarter round which is used when the sailplane storage boxes are built, did 60 miles on bicycle, went to grocery, mowed grass and now getting ready for supper!

Comment

• Keep going Jelly, no time to rest!

Jeremy
      SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

• ARUP
        ARUP commented
        Editing a comment
        This model received undivided attention toady! From 6:00AM until 11:00PM. The tail feathers got covered. The wings are ready to be covered. I forgot the gussets so spent a lot of time putting them onto the wings and ailerons. The fin still needs to get attached to the fuselage and some ply needs to be added around that junction when that is done. Looks like I won't have it ready for Horizon. That's the second time I've miscalculated (fancy words for being a slacker!) lol

• It's never a good idea to rush a project to meet a perceived deadline, IMHO. There are many examples through out history. Look at Mercedes, for one, they ran the Canadian Grand Prix yesterday with out their "upgraded" engine and were second class at a track they have dominated for years. Their reason was a potential durability problem later in the required life of the engine. Still looking forward to your completed project.
      Last edited by Mark9; 06-11-2018, 02:50 PM. Reason: Poor spelling
      Mark

Comment

• Dion Dunn
        Dion Dunn commented
        Editing a comment
        At the same time HAAS brought their upgraded car and went from mid pack to deplorable.

• ARUP
        ARUP commented
        Editing a comment
        Both of y'all need to talk with Swiss1, Jeremy. He is really into F1 racing!

• Joespeeder
        Joespeeder commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome work Mike !!

It's like old home week here on this thread. lol... I used to be a 3000+ mile a year cyclist and each year completed the season with a 100mile per day 4 day trip from Lansing to Mackinaw. Now I'm old. slow and fatter. Really lost my interest in F1 when the sound regs changed things. Was a huge fan from before Prost and Senna. Attended the Detroit GP each year and was in turn 1 for every year the circus came to Indy. We went all three days to the US GrandPrix every year. Then to sound changed... Did lots of Daytona24's and the 50th Anniversary Sebring 12hour. Prefer Vintage now mainly, when I can get a chance to see one. At a vintage race even the parking lots are full of really interesting stuff. lol Funny, I was in the Waterfortd Hills paddock last month with lots of fancy cars around and one of my old students came to watch in his new car.... A 2Cv.... I loved that thing more than all the cool big hardware floating around that day.

If you guys get a chance Flat Out Flat Broke is an interesting book. Perry McCarthy's story is something else. His ego gets kinda hard to take later in the book but the journey into F1 is very interesting.

BTW, Looking forward to flying with you at Frankenmuth but not in shape to be part of the line up if you decide to show your Magic Mike skills after hours... You're on your own there. Big Grin

Joe

• ARUP, or Magic Mike--which ever fits,
      On 5/28/18 you posted a picture showing the cutting lose of an aileron with a small saw. Can you share who makes the saw. That looks like a tool I could really use. Al 3 of mine are "strong back" style, and not very useful for this type of job.

Thanks,
      Larry Fitch

Comment

• ARUP
        ARUP commented
        Editing a comment
        I looked up 'Magic Mike' on youtube per joespeeder's suggestion (or was it Mark9?) I don't meet 'specs' for 'Magic Mike' in that format. Larry, the saw is an awesome tool! It is a 'Japanese flush cut pull saw.

• Mike, Thanks. I'll see if I can find one.
      Larry

Comment

• Mike,
        Did a quick search and found several flush cut pull saws. Thanks!! However, yours appears to be a "folder" and that style I didn't find. Is Amazon holding out on me, or do you have a better source?

Comment

• ARUP
          ARUP commented
          Editing a comment
          Larry- I just got back from the Horizon Hobby Aerotow so sorry for the delayed response. The saw shown in a previous post is not a 'folder'. It has a plastic blade protector that slips over the teeth of the saw. The handle can be removed from the blade by turning the red plastic head on the metal screw. I highly recommend getting one of these. They are very flexible ...physically and for different applications. Mine stays very sharp. I've even used it to relieve excess wood when installing windows in a house built in 1907!

• Do you have a Lee Valley Tools shop in your area?

Awesome array of good and some quite unique tools.

Comment

• David, No I don't have a Lee Valley shop near me--but I do have their catalog. Good idea and source. Hope to see you at Agassiz in a month or so.

Thanks,
          Larry

Comment

• Mike, Thanks for the additional info. I'll order one today.
            Glad you made it to Horizon. It sounds like a good event again this year.

Comment

• ARUP
              ARUP commented
              Editing a comment
              I flew so much Thursday and Friday my feet were hurting. I probably got 20 flights in each of those days. I got about 10 or so flights in Saturday before the wind blew just too hard for my ability. I landed short in the soybeans once the first day and short in the corn once the third day... both with the Eaglet. No damage done and I was astounded thinking I had plenty of altitude to make the field.
              Last edited by ARUP; 06-19-2018, 12:59 AM. Reason: fix spelling

• Back to hobby! The ailerons were cut free from the wings. The forgotten gussets were added to the center section, outer panels and ailerons...all ~88 or so of them! Fabric was sized and cut... 10 pieces for the wings and 6 pieces for the tail feathers. Masking tape was laid down to delineate were the adhesive (Stix-It) goes. The top of the ribs don't need adhesive but the undercambered portion of the wings do. After attaching fabric a new X-acto blade is used to cut excess fabric away using the masking tape as a guide. It works really well. When all panels are covered I'll use the iron to get rid of fold-lines in the fabric. For the most part, the fabric is pretty tight without heat and dope will tighten it a bit more.

Name:	IMG_3106.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	27129Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3107.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	27130

Name:	IMG_3108.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	27131Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3102.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	27132

Name:	IMG_3103.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	27133Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3105.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	27134

More...

Comment

• More pictures... the first just shows the fabric being sized but before any adhesive put on it. The second shows fabric glued on and excess trimmed away. It just needs a little tightening with heat.

Name:	IMG_3109.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	27136Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3110.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	27137

Name:	IMG_3111.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	27138Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3112.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	27139

The last pic shows fabric in place waiting for excess to get cut away using masking tape as a guide.

Comment

• You are an inspiration Arup, i have a suggestion for jext time Callie cuts masks for you there is a masking film that is cut the same way as vinyl but its much thinner and almost rubbery in its texture that when you rub it down you can see the grain of the wood underneath, i used it on my Lo100 and will definitely be using it again, fantastic material, you can use a carrier film on the outside to apply it that you remove just before paint, i just used strips of green masking tape for carrying the film and that worked great for me, cant wait to see your beautiful project complete and flying, best of luck Alexis

Comment

• ARUP
                  ARUP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Scott- thanks for the mask info. Next time I have Callie Graphics do some work I'll ask her to use the thin mask material. Thanks much for the kind words. I really appreciate them. The poor Professor is a little rougher than the photos make it appear but it's been a fun project so far (except when the tow release got locked up)
              Working...
              X