• Gene C
      Gene C commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking great.

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Gene C!

• Sorry for no activity. The post surgical swelling on my nose has gone down enough that I can wear glasses to see to do stuff! Actually, I have a string tied to the glasses to fit over the top of my head and to keep the glasses up off the bridge of my nose. It's still pretty swollen and tender. Oh well... could be worse!

The wing parts were assembled, the receiver powered up and servos were 'centered' then push rods were fabricated for the center wing section and set up to 'square' the bell cranks located in the outer wing sections. After this lock nuts were used to set the clevis locations. The routes for the push rods were cleaned up so that no rubbing occurs. The servo arms were adjusted so that more 'up' than 'down' movement is possible, i.e., differential. This works really well on the Eaglet so is the reason for the repeat performance, here! Paper patterns were used to fabricate phenolic items. I just can't tell from the photos what the full scale horns were made.The hole spacing for the cables is 60mm on the inner horns and 50mm on the outer ones. This spacing matches that of the bell cranks. A bit of Ackerman-like geometry is built into the design. More to come just no pictures taken. The ribs are currently getting cap stripped and the cables will be connected very soon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3044.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	26075Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3045.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	26076

Name:	IMG_3046.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	26077Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3048.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	26078

Name:	IMG_3049.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	26079Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3050.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	26080

Name:	IMG_3051.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	26081Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3052.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	26082

Comment

• Very nice!

Comment

• ARUP
        ARUP commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Al! I can't wait to fly with y'all in October!

• Looks like you're making good progress. A very impressive project! Would love to see it in person some day

BTW, I'm home from my surgery, but the cervical collar makes flying and building almost impossible. Beats being in a hospital or inpatient rehab though, at least I'm not hurting like I was before the procedures.

Before my surgery I was able to maiden and get about ten flights over two days on my 1/4 semi-scale Ka-8. All my mods and fabricated components performed well. That little sailplane sure thermals well too.
      Mark

Comment

• ARUP
        ARUP commented
        Editing a comment
        Your surgery sounds a lot more painful than mine. Glad you are on the mend!

• Glad to see you are on the mend after surgery, Michael. Hope we’ll be seeing you and your vintage sailplanes soon!

Comment

• Thanks Al! This nose of mine has certainly put the brakes on the build. I couldn't wear glasses for a week my nose was so swollen. Oh well... More stuff. The ribs that have the cable fairleads were built 'out' at their surface so that covering will have purchase. Hard points were installed to attach gap covers (not shown). I'm waiting for shackles from www.harbormodels.com before the wings get closed. The shackles connect the cables to the aileron horns. Different sizes (lengths) were purchased so that 'fine tuning' the ailerons' cable tension can be done. The aileron roots ends were cut but the ailerons won't be cut free from the wings until after the cables are installed. So... while waiting for the shackles to arrive the wing was put onto the fuselage so that the struts lengths can be determined. I don't have enough Bass wood so need to order some. I may go ahead and use Spruce and order that from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty. The last pic shows how the pushrod from the center section connects to the bell crank in the outer panel. Don't ask me why these pics are of different sizes. They all get edited the same way.

Name:	IMG_3053.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	26390Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3054.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	26391

Name:	IMG_3055.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	26392Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3074.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	26393

Name:	IMG_3075.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	26394

That's it for now. Hope supplies arrive in time to get this thing done for Horizon.

Comment

• Great work as expected , I'm a bit surprised it's taken me this long to check in on this build, cant wait to see the finished product I do love stain and linen gliders

Comment

• ARUP
            ARUP commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, Alexis! I love vintage birds of all genres. I had a set back this weekend when adding ballast to the nose some 2 hour cure epoxy seeped into the tow release mechanism and locked it up tighter than the Gold Vault in Fort Knox! Soldering iron heat just couldn't budge it so the 'blue wrench' was put to task. Unfortunately some wood burned. Now THAT has to get repaired. The tow release was refit this AM. Sump'n about 'noses' and me ain't gettin' along lately! lol

• All the pull-pull aileron cables have been run so the wing can get closed! I decided against the shackles and went with conventional clevis attachments to the horns.

Name:	IMG_3079.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	26486Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3080.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	26487

Name:	IMG_3081.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	26488

Gotta get busy!

Comment

• Mark9
            Mark9 commented
            Editing a comment
            I continued to be awe struck on your build. On the "blue wrench", I can't remember where I read it, a master builder makes mistakes too they just recover from them better than others.

• Thanks, Mark9! Yessir... I can sure make some mistakes but it's all good! Shoot... I don't even cuss about 'em any more, . The wings are all closed up and only the cap strips on one side of one panel to go! I just might have this thing ready for Horizon!

Comment

• Here is the last wing panel with some cap strips in place. It will be done this evening then the LE will get put it place and sanded. It's surely getting down to the wire!

Name:	IMG_3089.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	26596Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3083.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	26597

Name:	IMG_3084.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	26598Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3088.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	26599

On a side note: here is a scratch built 1/4 scale DH-5 I hope to finish for the 2018 Dayton Dawn Patrol. I've been working on and off this thing for quite a few years. All scratch built from my own plans. I had to make a mold to make the cowl then make a mold to make the cowl stiffeners. What an ugly but unusual airplane! You don't see these every day!

Comment

• We've all voted,
              Your forum name is being changes to MAGIC MIKE........

Now don't go getting all excited, its because of the amazing stuff you seem to magically produce. Nice stuff buddy
              Len Buffinton
              Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• ARUP
                ARUP commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, Man... it even has a 'track bar' on the axle. The axle can move up and down as confined by the bungees but it can't move side to side. How's that for NASCAR action in the RC airplane world!

• Beautiful "Magic Mike".

Comment

• ARUP
                ARUP commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, Deb-biddy-dawg! I might could use a 'magic eraser' for some blunders on these things.

• Awesome work Mike !!

Wish you could join us for one of our Flying Circus events !!

Careful with the Magic Mike tagline... lol You'll need to hit the gym and find some others to dance with... Google it...

We have a great time at our Flying Circus events as the CD dresses in 100% accurate flying uniforms. He has done the Red Baron and an RAF WWI uniform so far.

Video from the very 1st Flying Circus we held and after a long morning of rain... Each year it just gets better. Everything from very high end scale to intro WWI stuff to join the fun.

During the pilots choice award time period when the airspace is closed we play Christmas Carols to replicate the 1914 Christmas Truce. It's haunting to watch WWI aircraft landing to something like Silent Night as we close the airspace...

Joe

Comment

• Joespeeder
                Joespeeder commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey Mike,

Forgive a longish reply, but you asked and it can get confusing since I fly several places. Maybe get a Coke and a popcorn to sit back and enjoy the vids/info in this post. 🍿

Pontiac Miniature Aircraft Club (PMAC) is my home field were I fly warbirds every Tuesday evening. It's the traditional warbird night there each Tuesday. You can fly anything but warbird guys all know to fly Tuesday nights. We fly in packs of 4-8 warbirds of any style all night long. I have CD'd the warbird event there for years. We've had a 400ft altitude limit there for years and years due to an agreement with the local airport. Warbirds, sport flying, 3D and most any scale fly there. Sailplanes feel like they are in a box there. When you look at the videos note the trees. They make us better... lol this video was done by our current president. He does graphic productions professionally for defense contractors. You've seen his work when new stuff hits the news. It's a fun watch.

I also belong to Greater Detroit Hiking and Soaring for sailplanes but that field is for winch, electrics, or DLG... I fly there a few times a year with stuff like my Grafis Maxi. https://youtu.be/NvOUaxqQV_Y

Frankenmuth is new to me. I joined last year and one week later I was CDing the invitational Aerotow there last year. Literally... I didn't know who was a Frankenmuth member and who was part of the group Stephane brought!! The field in Frankenmuth is spectacular for Aerotow. It's easy to get to, lots and lots of space, nice surface for tugs, and all the thermals that farmland will generate. Add in the local flavor of Frankenmuth and it's just awesome. Too new to have video but you can see the field here. http://forum.scalesoaring.com/forum/...frankenmuth-mi

Finally, we also fly at Sleeping Bear dunes to go slope soaring. Since it's a Federal Park you now need a Federal Permit that SB developed just to keep non powered rc flying there as we have in the past. Drones made it much more involved but it's still doable.
                Slope soarers from several clubs joined together for a great day of friendship and slope soaring. A 5:30am departure meant we were at the dunes and flying by...

Betting I've made all of this clear as mud... I'm looking forward to hosting you and all the guys from here. I had a real time of it finding a weekend that fit all the various rc discipline schedules. Warbirds, DLG, ALES, and regular Aerotow guys and add in my other hobby were I burn fossil fuels ( https://youtu.be/QuKzo8Dw8Iw ) telling people where to go without dying and a good date was tough to find. I promote the aerotow to all the various flyers so non-sailplane guys can come out and see or try the sport I enjoy so much. We have foamies for them to learn on and I've hooked a few into full aerotow sailplanes. We'll have lots of learning and lots of great flying for everyone.

Joe

Whew.... BTW, if you're would like to fly with us at PMAC the Tuesday after the aerotow in Frankenmuth you are more than welcome to join us. Just in case you're making a trip out of it. I'm sure I can convince a bunch of WWI stuff to come out that night. We all need to tune up for the FC.

One last edit: You can see how our Flying Circus event got started in this video... We all brought WWI aircraft to the warbird event and decided it was time to give the WWI their own event. Starting around the 3:30 minute mark you can see our warbird group flights with WWI aircraft. Of course we play WWI vintage music as we do this for the spectators. https://youtu.be/dfxF6cqqz4s
                Last edited by Joespeeder; 06-07-2018, 09:41 PM.

• ARUP
                ARUP commented
                Editing a comment
                Joe- nice vids! I really like the driving vid with your Lotus Super Seven(?)

• Joespeeder
                Joespeeder commented
                Editing a comment
                You got it ! Thanks. Classic Prisoner colors and signed by Peter Egan in the boot. I got it signed at Road America at the Brian Redman Challenge vintage races. Driving it at Grattan Raceway next weekend. Great fun giving the big cars like Porsche GT3s the business in the twisty bits.

Joe

• The LEs have been installed and rough sanded. The wing tips get put on tonight and faired into the LE of each outer panel then finish sanded tomorrow. The covering will begin and, hopefully, the dope and varnish this weekend. Like I said... it's getting down to the wire!

I finished laying up an ASW20 cockpit tub for DanR. Two more to go! One for me and one for BryanB!

Comment

• Swiss1
                Swiss1 commented
                Editing a comment
                I think Tom Pack would like one too, Jelly!

• ARUP
                ARUP commented
                Editing a comment
                TomP is in the queue! DanR and BryanB have cockpit tubs! I finished the second one tonight. I hope the kit tub can withstand some more pulls. It's getting 'crazed' and worn.

• Only one outer panel needs its LE and wing tip sanded. That will get done tomorrow AM before work. Masking tape was put along side the LE to guide the sanding process. Paper was used to guide wingtip sanding. I put some stain on the finished panels. I can't wait to start covering! I really enjoy it!

Name:	IMG_3090.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	26716Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3091.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	26717

Name:	IMG_3092.JPG
Views:	212