Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1:3.5 Slingsby Sedbergh T21b Build (Chris Williams Design)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had the same thing happen with builds in the past. I would cut a new F1 that is wider and install it for the correct outline and the make a little thicker/longer nose block. The nose block is probably big enough to drill a flat bottomed hole in it to epoxy in some nose weight. Build looks great!! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Tango Juliet
      Tango Juliet commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Stew. I'm thinking that's the best way to handle it as well. A larger nose block certainly won't hurt anything.
      Last edited by Tango Juliet; 11-23-2017, 11:32 AM.

Awesome build thread...your pictures are really done well and it all reads like a story...well done...I have subscribed as well...

Comment

• Tango Juliet
      Tango Juliet commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you KJ. Glad to have you along for the ride.

Well, that took some effort! I made, and then re-made, a larger F1 to solve my fitment issues. Now it's epoxied into place (with a little Carbon Veil as well). I was also able to make and add a lower F3. The entire "cockpit" still needs some attention to get the seats made and the control tunnel that separates the two seats. None of which is represented on the plans.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	New_F1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	21350

Name:	F_1_Somethings_Not_Right_Yet.jpg
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	21351
    Something still didn't look quite right. I decided it was the vertical sides that were too high, so I re-made F1 yet again.

Name:	F1_Installed.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	21352Much better.

Name:	Still_Straight.jpg
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	21353
    Looking good!

The dorsal spine arches didn't line up too well, and the depth of the notches for the 1/4" square Balsa stick wouldn't ensure a straight, level spine.

Name:	Spine_Arches_Misaligned.jpg
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	21354To remedy, I measures the plans for height and spacing, then transferred those measurements to the arches and added shims or sanded/filed where necessary.

Name:	Shimming_Arches.jpg
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	21355
    Straight and level now.

Name:	A_Level_Spine.jpg
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	21356There's nothing on the Fuse right now that requires it to be set in the jigs any longer, and to be honest, the time I've spent on it so far is beginning to wear on me. I think when I return home from work next week, I'm going to remove the Fuselage from the bench for the time being and proceed to the Wings, just for a change of pace. Once I get the Wings built, then I'll have all of the major assemblies constructed and I can then start with the fitting of the radio and scale details.
    Member In Good Standing - "Builds Slower Than A Dead Turtle Nailed To A Fencepost" Club

Comment

• JimD
      JimD commented
      Editing a comment
      So TJ, I was wondering if your "building inspector" help you figure this out? 🐱

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah... where's that inspector? Jim has two to keep him on his toes! Now you know why I like 'scratch-building'! I don't have to deal with kit supplied inaccuracies but just my own! FWIW- I like to make those turtle deck formers from balsa and notch them after they have been sanded fair and square. I had to remake a couple on my current project. Keep up the great work!

• Tango Juliet
      Tango Juliet commented
      Editing a comment
      JimD - My kittie isn't allowed in my work shop. Only because he's really a stray from the neighborhood that befriended me. He only goes into a few of the downstairs rooms unsupervised, and other rooms under close supervision. If I had gotten him as a kitten, it would be a different story. As it is though, he keeps me from getting too much done most of the time. He jumps up in my lap with a blanket and curls up to sleep. I hate to disturb him, so he sleeps and I surf the web.

ARUP - I probably should have re-made the turtle deck formers from balsa also (but I did drill out some lightening holes) because they're only there to support the 1/4" square longeron "spine". The covering is "not" supposed to touch them.

This is very helpful as I will soon be doing the fuse on the Czmelak and I know Pete said something to the same effect to be careful of a few stumbling blocks.
    I actually have done quite a bit of scratch building and I am liking Pete's kits since it is a new direction and really requires some pondering to figure things out. Actually, Len has helped me see most of what I could NOT see...!!!

Comment

Hmm... Well that's frustrating! I finally built and skinned the Fin, but when I tried to place the Horizontal Stab where it's supposed to go, it just didn't fit quite right. Everything seems to be built according to the plans, but there just isn't enough room for the Elevators to rotate freely. They're rubbing the Fuselage, and the arc in the Fin isn't large enough either. I haven't quite decided how to tackle this yet, but I'm leaning toward re-shaping the interior edge of the Elevators.

Name:	IMG_3683 (Edited).JPG
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	21976

Name:	IMG_3685 (Edited).JPG
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	21977

I've also taken a little bit of a break from the T21 and have been working on a little Glo-powered sport wing called the Combat Gremlin. It's actually the first R/C airplane I Solo'd in 1992! It's a fun little change of pace.

Name:	IMG_3645.JPG
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	21978Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3689 (Edited).JPG
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	21979
      Member In Good Standing - "Builds Slower Than A Dead Turtle Nailed To A Fencepost" Club

Comment

• ARUP
        ARUP commented
        Editing a comment
        Put that Gremlin away and get busy on the T21b. You'll have plenty of opportunities to see more 'gremlins' as you build if things go for you as they do for me!

Oh the joys of building from old hand drawn plans!

Comment

• Tango Juliet
        Tango Juliet commented
        Editing a comment
        I actually did do a little bit of work last week on the T21, but it wasn't worth taking any photos of, so I didn't update my thread. I haven't given up on it yet.
        Last edited by Tango Juliet; 01-17-2018, 04:16 PM.

When I run into issues, like the Stab clearance, I tend to walk away from it for a while, so this week I turned to getting the forward bottom plywood sheeting on. I'll come back to the Stab in a few weeks.

I used a sheet of paper to get a rough outline of what was needed, then transferred that to 1/32" ply. Each was epoxied on with 30 minute epoxy. The edges will be sanded to the finished outline.

Name:	Bottom_Fuse_Sheeting_1.jpg
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	22405

Name:	Bottom_Fuse_Sheeting_2.jpg
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	22406

Then the interior floor was covered in .75 oz. fiberglass for additional strength. I used West Systems Epoxy for this as it wets out the fiberglass much better than 30 minute epoxy does.

Name:	Interior_Fiberglass.jpg
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	22407

Besides the Stab, I also need to start fleshing out the cockpit interior, but the plans don't provide any of the structure for this, i.e. seats and center tunnel that hides/houses the rudder cables and torque tubes for the elevator and ailerons on the 1:1. On mine it will hide the pushrods for the micro servos to the cockpit controls... which I also still have to complete.

And I did also more or less complete my Combat Gremlin except for servos and the OS engine that may not show up any time soon now that Hobbico has filed for bankruptcy.

Name:	Combat_Gremlin_1.jpg
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	22408

Name:	Combat_Gremlin_2.jpg
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	22409

Comment

My T21 will end up being more "Sport Scale" than "Scale", but I'm slowly getting things made. The cockpit controls are not part of the plans so I've had to use photos and drawings from the 1:1 to come up with a reasonable facsimile. To me, this is the drudge work. It takes so long to make for so little initial reward. The results aren't as obvious as framing the fuselage or the wings. But in the end, if it looks right, it'll be worth it.

Name:	20110704-001.JPG
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	22743

Name:	20110704-007.JPG
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	22744
        The Cabin Floor...

Name:	Cabin_Floor.jpg
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	22745
        A card stock template to get the shape for the Center Console sides...

Name:	Center_Console_Template.jpg
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	22746
        The 1:1 Control Stick assembly...

Name:	20841831_10154598364786364_1931105032769899030_n.jpg
Size:	369.4 KB
ID:	22747
        And my 'reasonable facsimile' mounted in place (sans paint). I've got full movement (in fact, more than will be needed), but I still have to come up with the necessary linkages to transfer the movement from micro servos Y'd to the flight control servos. Since my cockpit controls weren't built to exacting specs, I'll need to build in enough 'slop' to get the movement I want without any binding that might stall the servos and drain the battery.

Here is controls centered...

Name:	Stick_Movement_1.jpg
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	22748
        And "Down/Left"...

Name:	Stick_Movement_2.jpg
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	22749
        And "Up/Right".

Name:	Stick_Movement_3.jpg
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	22750
        There's still plenty to do in the cockpit, like getting the Tow Release made/installed. I have a little more than 3" of space between F1 and F2, and the Tow Release gets mounted on/near the center bottom keel just in front of F2.

Name:	Area_For_Tow_Release_Servo.jpg
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	22751

Comment

• ARUP
          ARUP commented
          Editing a comment
          That's pretty neat! Plus... it's weight in the nose you'll need anyway!!!

• Tango Juliet
          Tango Juliet commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you notice the two 1-2-3 blocks laying in the nose? I'm guessing together they're close to 16 oz. I just set them there to stabilize the nose while I was messing around. I picked up the Fuse from about the CG location and it balanced, but that's WITHOUT the tail feathers on! I'm afraid of just how much nose weight this thing is going to need!

Looking good, TJ

Comment

Hey TJ, time to get back to it mate! You'r supposed to turn up at some events this year with a Glider ready to fly

Jeremy
        SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

• Tango Juliet
          Tango Juliet commented
          Editing a comment
          I knew it wasn't going to get finished in time for the Spring event at Jim's place (I think I have to work that weekend anyway) so I started a sport powered kit that I can build quickly to have something I can fly other than a sailplane before summer. I'll be at NARCA again for sure and should have the T21 done well before that.

Bump! Just making sure you are still around!

Comment

• Tango Juliet
          Tango Juliet commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, but I haven't done any model building in a while. Just lost motivation... Like I always do. I also bought a new motorcycle a few weeks ago, so I've been enjoying that.

Name:	20180506__MG_9192.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	25914
        Attached Files

Comment

Just goes to show, one can never have too many hobbies or toys. I’m divided between rc flying and building, vintage motorcycles and motor scooters and amateur astronomy. I keep telling myself that I gotta cut back on my hobbies, but it aint gonna happen. I need 3 different toolboxes to support each one. Redundant, but it saves robbing one for the other then wondering where I put it later on.

Comment

• Tango Juliet
            Tango Juliet commented
            Editing a comment
            I can also add photography to my list of (expensive) hobbies.

I had two of those things (motorcycles) but got tired of dodging cars. I raced bicycles for 20 years so love being on two wheels. I've been run off the road and went between a sign and a fence in a ditch but didn't crash and another exciting adventure was having to ride the yellow line between cars due to a driver pulling into traffic without looking properly. That was really exciting. Good thing my hard tail had ape hangars otherwise I might have made contact with car mirrors or sump'n! I got skills or used up all of my good luck!!!

That is a good lookin' scooter!

Comment

• Tango Juliet
            Tango Juliet commented
            Editing a comment
            I grew up on two wheels... the Human Powered kind! I had a road racing Schwinn in my early 20's and rode quite a bit while still in the USAF, but never actually raced. I never even knew how to ride a motorcycle till I was 39 when a girlfriend bought me the MSF Riders Course for my birthday. Then I didn't get my first bike till I was 42, a new 2012 Yamaha V-Star 1300T. I put 66,500+ miles on it in just 5 years. I still have it, but it's for sale. I saw this Eluder a few months ago and just had to have it. BTW, that photo was taken by me.

• ARUP
            ARUP commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes... the pic is really nice! I bought a Dawn Patrol album of photos from you a few years ago. That was before I met you! Those pics were pretty cool!

• Tango Juliet
            Tango Juliet commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh my gosh! I remember that! I thought I was going to be a part-time Pro Photographer! I had a bad experience with a female model that scared me away from pursuing it any further. I really enjoyed the R/C work that I was able to do, but it wasn't paying enough to cover expenses, and magazines don't budget for it anymore now that "everybody" is a photographer. There's a few guys out there doing it, like David Hart, but very few. In fact I recently critiqued (minor) a photo David took and you should have seen the reaction of people! I only shoot for my own enjoyment now, but I try to improve every time I do and try new techniques/equipment.

Originally posted by ARUP View Post
          I had two of those things (motorcycles) but got tired of dodging cars. I raced bicycles for 20 years so love being on two wheels. I've been run off the road and went between a sign and a fence in a ditch but didn't crash and another exciting adventure was having to ride the yellow line between cars due to a driver pulling into traffic without looking properly. That was really exciting. Good thing my hard tail had ape hangars otherwise I might have made contact with car mirrors or sump'n! I got skills or used up all of my good luck!!!

That is a good lookin' scooter!
          Also did the motorcycle thing......got 4 wheels now that is just as much fun!

TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

• ARUP
            ARUP commented
            Editing a comment
            Pretty color for the BMW! I had a '66 Mustang convertible 'back in the day'. I wouldn't mind the Mustang in the background of your pic but with the vehicles I have currently there is no more room!
        Working...
        X