HELP!-Wing Spars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!-Wing Spars

I am trying to finish a Chris Williams Petrel. Being British, the plans call for the rectangular steel bar/brass tube set-up for the spars. There are 2 for the wings. I'm sure there is enough strength in the vertical load but does anyone have any experience with these in the lateral loads from towing? I don't want to go thru all the work to build this and have it fail-like my Reiher. If I need to change the set-up now is the time to decide before I build the wings. Thanks-Bill

Do yourself a favor and pitch the steel blades before you even consider putting them into the wings.....a 7075 3/4" round aluminum joiner will work much better.
    TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

I double second what Tom says, and he knows!!!! He's the spar man when it comes to sailplane wings. Throw out the thought of blade joiners and go with a round aluminum.
      I've personally have seen those blade joiners fail on three occasions.

Oh, wait a minute, it was four times!!

Len
      Len Buffinton
      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Thanks for the info. Where is a good source for the aluminum or steel spars? Bill

Comment

I had the same question/issue with my T21 build. I was also advised to go with the round aluminum bar and brass sleeves.

- 1/2" x 19.5" long - solid 7075 aluminum rod stock available from www.onlinemetals.com
          - 17/32" x 12" K&S brass tubing
          [B]"I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"[/B] -- [B][I]Geoff Painter[/I][/B]

Comment

Originally posted by BStaley View Post
            Thanks for the info. Where is a good source for the aluminum or steel spars? Bill
            Do not use steel for the joiner.....steel rusts, is heavier then aluminum, and is not as strong. Go aluminum round joiner with either brass or carbon receiver tubes you can buy or roll your own from fiberglass......
            TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

Got it. Thanks for all the help-now to the trash can...

Comment

Working...
              X