Flight modes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight modes

Guys, I normally fly rather simple gliders like a Cherokee and a Discus 2b so I've never had an occasion to program flight modes. I'm currently working on a larger glider with many moving parts, and sense flight modes might become my friend. The glider is a 1/3 scale Nimbus 4D. My transmitter has programming support for five flight modes ( Launch, Speed, Cruise, Thermal, and Landing). Can folks more experienced in these things explain (simply) what type of control surface setting go along with these several modes?

Additional question: I have assembled the Nimbus (first time in several years) and see that the wing trailing edge is quite perpendicular to the fuse centerline. According to Simon's 1965-2000 book, it looks like the trailing edge near the wing tips do lay a bit forward, but not much. I'm trying to calculate a proper C/G for the glider, and think this slight forward sweep likely won't change much relative to CoG calculations. If anyone knows better (or knows where the CoG should be) please speak up. The glider is a 1/3 scale Nimbus 4D.

Thanks,

Larry Fitch

Comment

Hi Larry

The flight mode question is similar to the "Ford/Chevy" question, everyone has their opinion and style, so thats probably why nobody has spoken up.

I'll give you my feeling on the subject. I like to keep it very simple, especially at first. My three position switch on the upper left side ( called the FLIGHT MODE SWITCH ) is all I use.
      I have Cruise, Thermal and Speed. Sometimes I'll substitute takeoff mode for speed mode depending on the plane. Thats it, simple and clean for my little brain.
      The thermal mode is a simple trailing edge deflection. Cruise is clean, and speed will be TE reflexed.

On my DG800, it likes to tow low, so instead of holding the elevator, I have a takeoff mode for that plane.
      Too many switches will get me in trouble. I have a good friend who has 5 or more flight modes, all you hear though the whole flight is switches being flipped, and to top it all off, he typically lands the plane and forgets to put in his LANDING MODE

Keep it simple and start with the basic three

LEN

Len Buffinton
      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

BTW,
        I believe Steve just bought a new 1/3 scale Nimbus this weekend, I'm sure he can find the CG on the instruction sticky they give you
        Len Buffinton
        Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Len,
          Thanks for the response and info. I think your comment about keeping it simple is right on. I'm thinking Landing mode could be as simple as "gear down". I do disagree with your Ford/Chevy comparison. This is way more important!! By the way, I have a Ford, but not in the mood to by another any time soon.

Steve, if your paying attention (we are talking about you) I measured and calculated for over an hour, and came up with 3.9", or 99 mm for a CG location on my old Nimbus 4D. What does your instruction sheet recommend? and good luck with your build, it has to be quicker than mine.

Comment

Working...
          X