Schweizer TG-2 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schweizer TG-2 build

Here's a build log of a TG-2 that I have been working on for awhile. It started as a Steve Moskal 133" that I built a few years ago and have a lot of flights on. I like the model so much that I wanted one a bit bigger but a size I can fit in my van and house! So playing with the calculator I came up with enlarging the plans by 143% which will give me 190" w/s, or approx. 1/3.28 scale, just a bit short of 1/3. Wings are 91" each which means they will lean against wall. I had the plans enlarged and have sized up the wood accordingly. I'm also changing out some types of wood in some places for more strength-I'm having to figure most of it out as I go along. This won't be a super detailed log-just going to hit the highlights and get some pictures up. I'm not sure yet what color scheme to do- I like the Army colors but I might change it up and do a Navy/Marine LNS-1s all Cub Yellow scheme.
    I built the tail surfaces first and they went quite smoothly. For the rear spar on the stab and vert. fin I used hardwood instead of balsa-even on the 3.3M size it's a bit flexy on the stab. Nothing is final sanded or shaped yet.
    The wings are going well-I have the rt. side mostly done and started the left to be able to check the angles and fit before completely finishing to try and limit the "surprises" which always seem to show up too late. I'll have servos in the wings of course for the ailerons and spoilers. I also changed the airfoil to the scale NACA4412 which has a slight undercamber.
    Same on the fuse-got it to the point of being able to get the wing angles checked. I plan on making the tail feathers removable due to the size of the model so I will have to work in those issues.
    First glitch-I'll have to retake the pics I took at a smaller file size to get them loaded! Here's a few so I can get this post started. Bill

Hi Bill
    we are out at the horizon aerotow and I heard some guys talking about a build they saw yesterday on the forums. It was this one!!!
    Cool, you've reached the corn belt!!
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Pretty good projet. I like this glider and I have planed to build one. I have started the drawing and it will be at 1/3 scale.
      I will follow your thread closely.
      Pat'

Comment

Here are some more pics. It will be quite a bit larger than the 1/5 scale-the wing chord is 17". I think I'm going to continue on with the fuse then finish the wings.
        Len-have a good time at the meet-hopefully I can make it up there one year.
        Bill

Comment

All right Bill! You know I'm a sucker for the vintage birds!

Comment

I got the top rear stringers on and the fill around the stab platform. Next is to make a removable set-up for the stab-the original is fixed.

Comment

A bit more done. On the stab platform I drilled 2 holes and glued in a hardwood dowel that I tapped to hold down the front of the stab. The rear of the stab will be pinned to the fin spar. That should be sufficient. I got the battery/ballast box made and the nose formers on-starting to look like the real thing.

Comment

Good thinking on the ballast box! I always seem to miss that and have to add it later which makes things a little more complicated. A removable stab really shrinks these birds for transportation. Good job!

Comment

Hi Bill, nice project. I built a Moskal 1-26B so I'm very partial to the Schweizer's. Keep up the good work.

BTW I vote for the LNS-1's all yellow with silver leading edges

Here is my 1-26B build.
                  Last edited by ingrahal; 06-29-2017, 08:33 AM.

Comment

A classic! I'm partial to military training paint schemes myself so you get my vote for the LNS-1 also.
                    [B]"I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"[/B] -- [B][I]Geoff Painter[/I][/B]

Comment

No I haven't been abducted by aliens or tossed in the towel, but have had some family things to do. We have our first grandchild, so we have been making several trips to Charleston to see her and my son and daughter-in-law. Plus my tow buddy Marc lost a door on his Pawnee so I ended up making one for him. So I have been doing some of the smaller items on the fuse like the tow hook, landing gear wheel well, skid mounting blocks, side windows and rudder cables and elevator servo cut-outs in the rear. I'm at a pause spot on the fuse for now so I'm going to get the left wing finished. After that it's covering and making the canopy.

Comment

Congrats on the new grandchild! Now that that's over... get busy you slacker! Lookin' good!

Comment

Major milestone reached-first put together of all the big pieces! Looking good so far. I had some concerns about the weight-this is my first attempt at enlarging a set of plans to a large glider and I wasn't sure how the weight was gonna turn out but right now it's OK. I placed all the servos in along with the wheel, battery and wing strut tubes. Then I added enough weight to balance it and it comes in under 17 lbs. even adding the amount for the ailerons and estimated canopy. I still have a lot of shaping and sanding to do which will remove a little bit, but then there's covering and some incidentals, but still I'm pleased. So the last big items are one aileron and the canopy. Then it's sanding, covering and everything else I haven't thought about!

Comment

May be, should be a little light for that size
                            Anyway , good and quick progress.
                            Pat'

Comment

Got the other aileron and both spoilers built, the wings and tail feathers shaped and sanded and the tail hinge points fitted. Starting on the canopy I got the bows made. I made a form from 1/8 lite-ply, cut the strips from 1/32' ply and laminated 4 of them around the form with Titebond. Rinse, wash, repeat and we have all the bows. For the frame I'll cut the strips and form them on the fuse then cut the frames to size and glue them on. The plan is to make them to open-front and rear-with a fixed section in the middle. Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X