No announcement yet.

Schweizer TG-2 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks fantastic!! One of my favorite color schemes and airframes. Will it fly this year?

Comment

I hope so! Bill

Comment

Well it looks like I won't have this done by the end of the year but hopefully in Jan. This time of the year there are things that cut into the hobby time! Bill

Comment

I had a week off work over the holidays and got a lot done on the bird. All servos are in and rigged, skid made, wheel is in, side windows in and wing struts made. A few more things to do and she will be ready to fly! I'll post some pics a little later-I have some but I keep forgetting about the file size limit.

Comment

Well it's finished!!! Do the dance of joy! The last few details took some time, seemed like I would never get through. Got the canopy mounted and decided to just go with rubber bands and hooks for hold-down. AUW is 19 lbs.-might need some extra ballast, will fly it and see then. My pilots are a bit small-they are 1/4 scale-1/3 guys were too big and wouldn't fit in. Maybe I can find some that are closer. Hope to fly it early next month. Bill

Comment

• JimD
              JimD commented
              Editing a comment
              Really looks great...congratulations on completion of this fine project!

And thanks for sharing your build with us...great motivator for others to build!

Very nice! Congratulations — your hard work has really paid off. Looking forward to your maiden flights report.
            Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

+1 w Mr. Steve! I can't wait to see this one live and in person!

Comment

It's a shame we all live so far apart. I'm on a 2 year plan for retirement-after that I hope to start making some trips up North for some of the events up there.

Comment

I finally got to fly theTG2 at the Space Coast Aerotow this past week-end. The first flight went well, along with the second. The model needed some ballast weight to help it penetrate so I added some weight for a flight and then some more for the 4th flight. It flew better, better response and tracking. So I took a break and flew my Ventus several times. After lunch the wind had picked up some but we took off and all was OK 'till I got near the top and the model started banking hard to the left and I realized I had no aileron response then saw a lot of flutter in both ailerons. I released and had almost no control of it-it was going all over the place. It was also in some lift and drift which didn’t help. All this time the ailerons are still fluttering. I put the spoilers up and after it slowed down some I was able to get it pointed back into the wind and back to the field. Remarkably the wings stayed level and it came down fairly straight but way out in the landfill. They gave us permission to go get it so we went out there and found it all in one piece. The damage is confined to the fuse in the wing mount area which took the brunt when it came down kinda nose down a little flat I’m guessing-it also ripped out the skid. We took it apart out there and carried it out, got it back and at first I thought the aileron servos were stripped but when I looked closer I found the servo arms had broken. I have std. servos in the wing-I had no idea they would be under such load. All in all I came out lucky. The fuse is fixable and I will have to put in some heavy duty gear in the model. One of the horns on the aileron broke also. I guess if it was easy everybody would be doing it. So much for redneck engineering! I'll have it fixed for SERA. Bill

Comment

• ARUP
                    ARUP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bummer. Glad you have it back!

There-I fixed it! All done for SERA.

Comment

• ARUP
                    ARUP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great! Maybe you should remove the ballast or balance the ailerons to guard against flutter(?).

Not sure exactly what the root cause is-maybe a combo of things. First I put a larger servo and better control arms in. Next, when we fly I'm gonna make sure we keep the speed down some. I'm guessing it was a combo of speed, gusty winds and weak hdwe. When I get to SERA I'll ask around. Bill

Comment

What servos were in it? and what did you go with for an upgrade?

Comment

I started w/std. servos but the failure point was the servo arms that broke and one of the horns on the aileron broke. I put in a 80oz. torque servo and some stronger horns.

Comment

• ARUP
                        ARUP commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The ailerons are very large on that model. Sump'n's gonna give if they're taxed!
                    Working...
                    X