No announcement yet.

Schweizer TG-2 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost done with the details on the fuse. Need to paint the interior and sand then cover. Got the strips laminated for the canopy rails. A bit more final sanding on the wings and tail feathers then I'll cover them also. First we have to make it thru this hurricane

Comment

Bill, Nice build so far. A friend of mine gave me a set of the Moskal plans that I've been pondering for a while, so it's nice seeing your version. Actually, I'm thinking of down-scaling the plans to something much smaller. Obviously not for aerotow, but for something high-startable or a soft winch launch. Maybe in the 100" category.

I hope you weathered the storm!

Dion

Comment

Yes we made out OK-some minor issues but we never lost power, which means we fared out better than a lot of folks. Glad you like the model-it flies very well and has nice appearance. At one time there was a 2M version out-I think by Aerosente or Tom Martin. If You ask around you might be able to find it.
        I still have some storm clean-up to do. I got the canopy frame made and I think I am ready to cover. I'll post some pics in a few days. Bill

Comment

Some more progress. I got the canopy all framed up, painted and hinged, I still need to glue the plastic on. I still need to do some sanding on the fuse and paint the interior but all else is sanded and ready to cover.

Comment

Really nice work, are those canopy frames cut out or laminated strips? Almost a shame to cover it all up.

Congrats on the build
            Len Buffinton
            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

They are laminated strips-post #15 has some pics. It might be a little to windy inside without the covering

Comment

The canopy work is awesome! I know how fiddly that stuff gets.

Comment

Took these at the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola today. Thought about this thread. How is the build coming?

Comment

Comment

Still working on it bit by bit-have had a number of things to deal with that have interfered with my play time! I started on the covering-tail feathers are done and the yellow covering is on the wings. I hope to get a lot done this weekend. I'll post some pics later. Bill
                      The Naval Museum is a nice visit-have you been to the Air Force Museum in Dayton?

Comment

Got the wings covered this weekend. I need to go to the LHS and get some black for the stripe on the rudder. Next is the fuse. Bill

Comment

• ARUP
                          ARUP commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Nice! Won't be long before flying, either.

Sweet!! Would they have used black or Navy blue on the rudder? I always thought they used Navy blue.

Comment

• Tom
                          Tom commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You are correct......the stripes are red and blue.

Yes, the forward stripe on the TG is navy blue to represent the flag.
                        Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

• BStaley
                          BStaley commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That's interesting because some documentation I saw said it was black but actually the blue looks better! Anyway it's hard to tell at a few thousand feet...
                          Bill

Originally posted by BStaley View Post
                        Still working on it bit by bit-have had a number of things to deal with that have interfered with my play time! I started on the covering-tail feathers are done and the yellow covering is on the wings. I hope to get a lot done this weekend. I'll post some pics later. Bill
                        The Naval Museum is a nice visit-have you been to the Air Force Museum in Dayton?
                        I've been the Air Force museum multiple times. It has the same feel as the navy museum, but just 2.5 times bigger without the Blue Angels practicing every day!

Comment

• Tango Juliet
                          Tango Juliet commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I grew up a few hours from the Museum of the USAF and have been there a dozen times or more. It's by far my favorite museum, though they did change some of the displays some time in the mid-90's and now more of the aircraft are hung from the rafters where they're not as accessible as they once were. I now live about an hour from the Naval Aviation Museum and have been there maybe a half-dozen times. It keeps getting better, but they've got more to do, IMO. I haven't been to the Smithsonian, but I have a feeling it might be a letdown after the Air Force Museum.

• BStaley
                          BStaley commented
                          Editing a comment
                          They are all good but in different ways. The AF Museum gets it done by quantity-they have a lot of stuff there, some of it unique. There are planes there that I haven't seen anywhere else. I like all the museums, even the small ones. They each have there own character to them. If you ever go to Pensacola for the Navy Museum shoot over to Mobile(45 min) and see the battleship Alabama, submarine and aircraft they have there-worth the trip. Bill

• Tango Juliet
                          Tango Juliet commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I live in Mobile!

Got the fuse covered and the stripe on the rudder. Now that all is covered it's on to the assembly. Still need to make the skid and cover the canopy frames. I'm not quite sure what to do for a canopy lath system. For starts I'm going to try magnets but I think I would rather have a mechanical latch. Any ideas? Bill

Comment

• ARUP
                          ARUP commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I can't wait to see this beauty fly!
                      Working...
                      X