Need help with ASW 27 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with ASW 27 build

I am building a S2G 4.2 meter ASW 27. The airframe was given me by a friend. I got no instructions or fittings, just wings, wing tips. fiberglass fuselage, rudder and horizontal.The flaps and ailerons, as near as I can tell, are designed to use tape hinges. The flap leading edge is angled back from one edge to allow movement. My problem is that if the flaps are hinged on the top, the angle of the flap leading edge will only allow a downward movement of 22.5 deg., I don't know if that is enough. The wings are also equipped with double stack spoilers. I can flip the flaps over right to left and hinge on the bottom, which will allow unlimited down and 22.5 deg. of up, but put the gap between the wing trailing edge and the flap on the top. Need advice if 22.5 deg. of down is enough or if I am better off hinging on bottom. Also I could use any suggestions on providing a seal across the gap between wing and flap.

Thanks for any help.

Mike Lonnecker

Mike,

I have own some S2G kits, and the flap are as you describe, little deflection to the bottom.

I have on mine sanded both side (flap and wings) in order to get 40 degree, if your wings is uncovered it is easy. If the wings are covered, then you need to recover them.
    In my opinion it is worth it if you are flying it on a slope, on flat land forget it as spoilers are plenty.

I would use gap seal for the bottom, I use clear one.

Stéphane
    Stéphane
    Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

And here is a website that I took some inspiration on some other panes from that ASW27

Stéphane
      Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

You do not need the large flap travels that are typical on F3J and thermal duration ships. You're not trying to slow to a crawl, create a steep drop, or come to a dead stop, rather simply slow the plane and descend for a long approach and roll out. I typically mix air brakes (spoilers) and flaps so that they balance forces for a nice smooth downward action.

22.5 is very likely well enough in that scenario.
        Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Gap seal tape
          Len Buffinton
          Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Working...
          X