Wing root wiring connectors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wing root wiring connectors?

I'm in the middle of my first time assembly of a 1/4 scale glider, an E-Flite Blanik and joined this group just a few days ago. The wing servos I have sourced for it are capable of drawing 5 amps at stall according the the mfg. specs, so if both the flap and aileron are stalled the load could reach 10 amps to either wing. At the moment I do not plan to use or install the optional spoilers. My plan is also to fabricate a custom harness for the airplane. Power will be shared by the servos in each wing using a single + and - conductor 20 AWG wire and signals will be single conductor to the servo plug from the receiver. A four pin connector will be suitable.

My question is what connector would/do you guys use/recommend for this application? I do want it to be easy to insert/disconnect at the field, not fiddely to use, not possible to cross polarity and dependable. Most of the connectors I have seen used for this 20 AWG would be hard to use in this application. The solder pots are much too small or the pin sizes may not carry the potential load. OOH, I am aware that if I do get a 10 amp continuous draw there are probably other things that are of a higher concern.

TIA,
    Mark
    Mark

Hi Mark,
    I'm not a proponent of using the single power source for multiple servos, so I won't speak to that, however using the servo connectors sold by Hansen Hobbies have worked out great for my airplanes. I fly 6m-10m airplanes with up to 7 servos in each wing and use these connectors.

They are the latching kind.

Hope this helps

Len
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Thanks Len, your information on the Hansen Latching Connectors comes at a very appropriate time. Just figured out I can't use MPX connectors on my KV Duo Discus because of a clearance issue. Ordered Latching Connectors with pins and sockets last night. A better solution than standard servo connectors. The latching connectors use different pins and sockets and are rated at 5 amps. I haven't run across any sailplane size servos yet that could draw 5 amps for any length of time without burning something out internally..

Tom McP.

Comment

I have used the green Multiplex connectors for years never having a problem, and I will continue to use them, absolutely NO concern about amperage.

Comment

Len,
          I respectfully appreciate your input. The material I have for fabricating the Blanik harness assembly came from Hansen Hobbies, minus the root connectors. One of my thoughts for a single power wire is that each wing panel will only have two servos. One servo for the flap and one for the aileron.

Power redundancy is quite understandable to me if there is redundancy in the control function to balance the control loss of a power failure. With the flap configuration of the Blanik no up travel beyond neutral is available, providing no roll control in the event of power failure to the aileron. So, in this case it is somewhat moot in my mind if I have a power circuit break to a single panel.

Bought a 4 meter X1 sailplane from a friend in Kansas in November and he had used those Ashlock style connectors for the servos in the servo bays of the wing. Neat little connectors, however I’m looking for something more substantial and easier to work with. Did I mention that I have OCD!

The Savox SA-1256TG servos I plan to use are the strongest heaviest servos I’ve ever dealt with. 5 amps would probably handle the standard working load of both servos and surely would if I ran individual power wires. Also, it has been my experience working with the 20 AWG silicone insulated wire I will be using for power that it is tough to get into a connector body that size.

Regards,
          Mark
          Mark

Comment

Originally posted by DennisB View Post
            I have used the green Multiplex connectors for years never having a problem, and I will continue to use them, absolutely NO concern about amperage.
            Dennis,

I have some Multiplex 6 pin connectors in my connector stock. The ones I have are easy to connect, but disconnecting them is a real task. Just test connecting them I've almost had to resort to using a screw driver blade. As a result I've yet to use them. Maybe the ones I have are just tight!

Mark
            Mark

Comment

I used Tail Dragger RC's 3 servo wiring harness, heavy duty, easy to connect, and nearly perfectly sized for a Blanik wing

Comment

I have used the Tail Dragger RC wiring harnesses, like AGriffith mentioned above, on several models. I have also used D-Sub, 9 pin connectors with great success, I know some people don't like them, but there are many brands out there, some better than others...I like the "crimp" version I can get from my local electronics store.
                Pete
                Last edited by Xroadie; 02-20-2017, 04:31 PM.

Comment

In another forum I posted to the thread started by somebody else concerning multi servo wing connectors as well. A poster from Germany sent in this link. After a little searching found them on this side of the pond for less than getting them from Germany. Sub-D's would not be my first choice. However, a flying buddy of mine, who worked with connectors most of his career on the technical side, said they look like a good solution. May give them a try. Also, he told me (which I didn't know) Mouser one of the major sources is here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. So, I can drive there, touch n' feel before I buy them.

POWER Sub-D Stecker, # 71409 Technische Daten : Strom max. 20 Amp. (Stromversorgung) Strom max. 6 Amp. (Datenkontakte) vergoldete Kontakte Maße wie Sub-D-15 (39,3x12,6mm) WICHTIG: Information zur Entsorgung von Elektronik- und Elektrogeräten.

Mark
                  Mark

Comment

Working...
                  X