Paint Compatibility for Moldies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Compatibility for Moldies

I have acquired a NIB KV Models 30% Pilatus B4. I'd like to add some color to it so it looks like the prototypical B4's that have the red and blue sunbursts, and black on the front fuse. I'd like to paint with a touch-up gun, but I'm worried about paint compatibility. I'd hate to have the trim colors attack the white base paint. That would be a real mess to fix! Would like to hear from anyone who has experience painting moldies. What paint did you use? I have no idea what type paint they use at KV Models, or if it is the same thing other makers use. I prefer to use acrylic lacquer when the humidity is down, but I can use Poly-U or Epoxy (Klass Koat).

Al

Al,
    Acrylic Lacquer should be fine. I've read where most manufacturers are using catalyzed urethanes in the molds and I've never had problems painting over a moldie whether from another manufacturer or something I molded myself. It's also the perfect surface for plugs for making molds. They use catalyzed urethanes to avoid outgassing and delamination/bubbles. Just clean with some denatured alcohol and sand to 320p, clean again, mask and shoot.

Comment

Al,

just as Asher said..

we just painted a fuse this week end, we are using R&M PU automotive paint. Does a great job

Stéphane
      Stéphane
      Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

Thanks for the input guys! I love lacquer but it blushes in high humidity so using it here in the summer is usually not an option. Might have to go with Poly-U.

Comment

Just be careful with the canopy frame. KV may have used a different paint there. I was wiping packing tape residue off my KV Duo Discus fuselage and accidentally hit the canopy frame, Took the paint off down to the primer.

Comment

Tom,
            What solvent were you using? I use Naptha to remove tape residue and it seems to be compatible with a lot of paints. I know it doesn't bother the paint on my HF Model ASW 28-18. But maybe it's not compatible with what KV uses on the canopy frames.
            Al

Comment

Hi Al,
              This was really stubborn residue, so I wound up with Goof Off I think. Didn't affect the molded fuselage, but took the frame paint right off. Just a small area so a spot touch up should fix it. Ill get some Naptha and try it next time I need to get tape residue off.
              Tom

Comment

Working...
              X