Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servo Frames

Hello Gents,

I thought I'd pass along an experience I had with some servo frames I got from Mill Hill Aero Works.

While finishing up the wings on my Valenta Libelle I was looking for an alternate to the usual servo frames that I have used in the past. Being a former dealer for Hyperion products I have a preference for the HP-DS095FMD servos. A lot of the other frames out there just don't fit these servos properly even though they may be listed as appropriate for the HP's so I thought I'd give these a shot. At under $8 each (shipped from the UK!) I thought they were a great value so I decided to place an order.

Lawrence at Mill Hill was fast in response to my email to place the order and they were shipped in a very timely manner. The only hitch was due to customs coming into the states. They should have taken about 5 days to get here but turned into about 12 days total.

The delay in shipping aside, these are great frames and I was VERY impressed with the quality. I've used frames from Esprit, Kennedy and others in the past but these are far superior. The servos fit with no trimming or sanding needed. I like the threaded inserts for durability and ease of use. They are low profile enough to fit in very thin wings and yet there is enough space between the servo and the wing surface to make it easy to glue them in place.

My glue of choice in installing frames is Loctite Go2 glue. It sets fairly quickly and dries clear and remains flexible. If you need to remove them just work some dental floss back and forth between the frame and the surface and they will pop right out. Clean the remaining glue from the wing with some course sandpaper and your favorite solvent and the wing is cleaned up. Unlike wood frames these are made from carbon fiber so you can do the same with the frame and you can get virtually unlimited life out of the frame!

If there is any down side to these frames it would be the screws provided use a standard flat blade screwdriver. Other than that the hardware is great quality, flat washers and locking washers but the screws were just not up to par. I'll swap them out for some 2.5m x 8m button heads so I can get at them easier at an angle using a magnetized 2mm ball driver.

Thank's for the information, unfortunately your pictures do not open!

Jeremy and Ben
    SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

well that is strange... I'll try again.

Comment

Working...
      X