Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASW 22 tow hook position...

Hi everyone,

I will pretty soon receive my Baudis AWS22 model 😀😁 and I was wondering where, on the full scale glider, the tow hook is situated. With what appears to be a rather pointy nose, I'm guessing the hook to be under the glider's belly, but I cannot find any documentation... I'd very much appreciate if someone of you could give me the answer, thanks!
    Marc

From this YouTube video that I believe is a Baudis employee flying the ASW22, the tow release seems to be right in the nose. I'll be surprised if it is not installed at the factory.

Comment

I'm certain it will already be in stalled. Just hook up the servo!!
      Len Buffinton
      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Cool, thanks a lot guys!!! I'll let you know how things are when the plane arrives from Bob Breau, and maybe post a short built log .

Marc

Comment

The tow release is in the center of the nose.

If you like flying a speedster you'll really enjoy the Baudis 22. Just watch your landings as it takes a LONG time to slow down. The wheel brake is VERY effective and will put the nose onto the runway without any trouble.

I'd work on the flap and inner aileron (flaperon?) travel to get as much down travel as possible. ANY extra speed on approach turns into a LOT of altitude when you drop the flaps and the runway all of a sudden seems really short. So far I've not run off the end of a runway,but I've certainly used the brake to it's maximum. 8-)

Porter

Comment

The original ASW22 had a tow hook position immediately in front of the wheels, which was covered by the left retract gear cover, which is longer in the front and angled for this reason. Also called the CG Coupling (Schwerkraftkupplung). Mainly used for the Tost winch launch system, but also used for A/C towing. There was also the optional nose release, which I believe became more of the standard as time went on. I remember Walter Neubert's original ASW22 and his 2nd one, the ASW22B had the CG coupling. Tost changed the design of their couplings in the early 90's and Schleicher issued a Service Bulletin (SB) to cover the change of design and also location, as required.

See also https://lf5422.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/asw-22e.pdf
            Last edited by CoolCanuck; 12-03-2016, 06:30 PM. Reason: link

Comment

Hi guys!

Thank you all for the answers and suggestions, much appreciated . Some quick remarks on the Baudis kit and it's built. The moulding is absolutely gorgeous, as anyone can expect from a guy with the reputation of Jiri B. The built, however, is not at all for the hurried... I started with the wings, which are very VERY thin; one bay contains a flap and an airbrake servo, and after install, it really takes all your dedication, patience and experience to make all the wires get through (which were, as per the connectors, not included in the kit, by the way...). The elevator servo install is a real nightmare - as long as you're able to resist the temptation to cut an opening in the fin as I saw in some built logs posted on the web - : it took me five evenings, and around a hour each evening (more than that, and the temptation to use the Dremel to cut the opening would be way too strong ), but I finally achieved the desired result! Nothing in the kit to connect the rudder; I ordered a carbon pushrod and had to do a very careful install into the tiny fuselage. Same with the tow hook; so I copied the Stephane Ruel method (with the little wood block), installed it close to the nose and it works great! Merci Stephane ! The 22 should be finished in a couple of days, I'll post pictures! Best to all,

Marc

Comment

Wow,
                Congratulations on hanging in there!
                Looking forward to seeing the results.
                Len Buffinton
                Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

+1, Can't wait to see some pics of your sailplane!

Comment

Same for me, as an ASW-22 lover I can't wait to see one on these in person...

Stéphane
                    Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCanuck View Post
                      The original ASW22 had a tow hook position immediately in front of the wheels, which was covered by the left retract gear cover, which is longer in the front and angled for this reason. Also called the CG Coupling (Schwerkraftkupplung). Mainly used for the Tost winch launch system, but also used for A/C towing. There was also the optional nose release, which I believe became more of the standard as time went on.
                      Absolutely correct. You could not retract the wheel until you released the tow rope. But also there is a hole up front for vent and some sort of instrument tube if I recall correctly. So on my model I added the hole up front and installed a conventional barrel style tow release mechanism.

Gunny
                      Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Pictures, pictures pictures!

Hi to all,
                        So, no more procrastination! My two friends Dominique and George and I finally proceeded to the CG centering of the ASW22 last Saturday; since the sailplane presents a rather long wing (actually, there's no place in my home where I could assemble the whole bird and have enough room to move around with lead and the CG device...), we occupied a classroom at the campus where I teach. No students, perfect! Here are few pictures taken that day; please, enjoy! Also, for any question, do not hesitate to ask, thanks for looking!

Marc

Comment

Excellent Marc !!!

Thats a nice looking sailplane. How much weight did you end up adding?
                          Len Buffinton
                          Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Thanks Len! We ended up with 590 grams - 21 oz - with a cg at 50mm from the leading edge, right in the middle of the recommended range of 45 - 55 mm. Flight test will show how good that is, I guess...

Comment

Oh boy! That's a gorgeous sailplane!

Comment

Working...
                              X