Spektrum Telemetry and Vario Sensor User Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spektrum Telemetry and Vario Sensor User Report

Wanted to pass along my experience with the Spektrum telemetry. I got a DX9 for Xmas and a month or so back I installed the TM-1000 telemetry TX and the vario sensor into my Mirage glider to get familiar with how to operate it. Once I figured out I needed to update the DX9 TX software to be able to use the vario, I was all set. Setup is pretty easy. I set mine to get voltage, vario, and altitude reported. The TM-1000 and vario sensor seem to work as one would expect, except I'm not sure I like the default delay settings and trigger points on the vario, but I'd have to fly it more to decide. What I discovered that I don't like, is the vario only reports up to around 1100 - 1200 feet AGL. Above that it will say "altitude not available", or words to that effect. I talked with 4 support guys at Horizon about it, and one of them asked another HH guy who flies sailplanes and he said he only gets altitude reporting up to around 1000 feet. I have a model flying buddy in CT who has also been using the TM-1000 and vario sensor, and he had the same experience I did. So I am disappointed by that. Guess I will have to stick with my Sky Assistant units which work fine at high altitudes.

Does the vario continue working above 1000 ft?

Comment

Try switching to meters. If I remember correctly it only goes to 1000 units no matter what you have selected.
      Mac

Comment

I believe Mac is correct, change to meters, you should all go metric

Jeremy and Ben
        SCC AAA TT

Comment

I used the TM 1000 with the iphone app and it works above 1000 ft, so this if definately a software issue with the TX.

Comment

I thought it was range problem with the telemetry TX in the model!?!? I use a TM1000 just for battery voltage in my tow plane and I don't get a signal when I get way up on a tow.

Comment

I wasn't getting good vario above about 1200 AGL either. As for meters vs. feet, at first I was using the default setting of meters, and above 400 meters was where I was having trouble. I changed it to feet and still had the same issue. I reckon the TM1000 just doesn't have the range, because the vario sensor manual claims it works up to 20,000 AGL. Has anyone out there got theirs to report altitude and vario above 1200 AGL? The Horizon guy I talked to who uses one said his quits above 1000 AGL. That's fine for power planes, or where clubs are restricted to 400 AGL, but is no good for aerotowing.

Comment

Mine has reported above 1500 ft AGL, both alt and vario. I have not flown above this (small airplane) so don't know where limit is. Try different ant/module positioning. I am using DX9.

Mike

Comment

Exchanged emails with Andy Kunz one of the Horizon radio gurus I have gone to for help in the past. He says the TM 1000 will work above 1000ft. and his in fact works to 1500 and higher. He does say however this is somewhat dependent on antenna placement. He says some have externalized the metal tip outside the fuse to get better range. Also to try different configurations inside, far away as possible from any other metal or electronics. I did notice however some other comments about limited range from others on a search of RC Groups. I’ll have to pay more attention to mine next time out to see what my range is, but I don’t recall getting any messages about data not available. FWIW.

Last edited by jmears; 06-11-2015, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Yes, you're running into the range you're getting on the TM1000. On my E-Flite Blanik I had good altitude/vario to 1800 and some feet till I got scared I couldn't see it. On my SebArt 3.3m Blanik it cuts out around 1200 feet.

Comment

While in Monticello, for the Horizon Aerotow, I installed a TM1000, in my E-flight Blank. I wanted it for the on-board voltage telemetry, but for fun I also added the altimeter/vario unit. It worked up to and over 2000 feet and some distance away, so the range was better than I expected. When I mounted the TM1000, I drilled a small hole on the fuselage centerline, underneath the rudder servo and routed the un-isolated antenna tip out the hole and used clear tape to secure it to the belly in front of the fixed main wheel. I wanted the antenna on the bottom for obvious reasons and it worked great

I am using a Spectrum DX18. I have it set for a voice readout of altitude every 60 seconds. I may change that so that it tells me altitude when I hit a switch, but I'm good with it for now. After a couple tows, listening to the variometer sing the whole way, I changed it so the vario does not start pinging, till I actuate the tow release, which also starts a stopwatch timer for me. It works great. I wish there was a separate volume for the vario and the voice. The variometer tone is louder than the voice prompts. When I turned down the volume to turn down the vario tone, I could no longer easily hear the voice prompts. I think I may try an earphone or wireless ear bud.

Pete

Comment

Pete, You are having a little better luck then I have with my TM1000 and DX18. I get intermittent relay to my radio. I haven't put my antenna outside of the fues though. Since you are hearing a "voice readout" I'm assuming that you are using a DX 18 version 2?

Tim

Comment

Working...
                        X