No announcement yet.

Graupner Cirrus X 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmmmm, the webbing (near the root) is marvellously unclear. The combination of the part listings, the exploded diagram (the german booklet), the photographs of actual wings (german booklet) and the plans of the wings themselves are all inconsistent !

I think what they suggest is

rib____ ___________________63(root)___64_____65____66_____ 67_____68_______69_______70______
    Main spar front__________________ply_____ ply_____ply____ ply____ ply_____balsa___balsa_______ balsa from here
    Main spar rear__________________ply_____ ply_____ ply____ ply____ ply______ -_____ balsa________none from here
    part no.________________________98_____ 99_____100____100____100_____ _101____101_________ 101

Aux spar front_________________balsa_____balsa____?_______? _____ ?__ ____-_______ END aux spar
    Aux spar rear___________________-_________ -____ balsa___ balsa__balsa__ balsa______ END aux spar
    Part no._______________________101______101_____101____ 101____101____101

(darn all my nice layout disappeared [spaces removed] so redid with underscores - hope it makes sense

ply 1mm
    balsa 2mm

Where I have ? written, the plans actually show what looks like a web component, although its drawn slightly thinner than the ply
    for the main spar and it's not numbered ! The exploded diagram appears not to include it, although they are a bit hard to
    negotiate. The wing photo (page 17) apparently shows no web there either (but does show webbing to the rear of the first two
    gaps which otherwise the plans indicate to have no web!).

The table of parts also only lists 98x1 per wing (there are two). It lists 99x2 (ok) and 100x6 (ok) and 101x31(which is what
    you get with the above layout where the ? are in fact missing, or at least not balsa part 101!

SO I think I conclude no webbing is required at the ? locations.

It probably does not matter much if I add extra ones. I have so much extra weight with spoilers
    and ailerons already. I'm also adding a bit of extra support around the rear tube.

The fabled Graupner plans are failing me somewhat here ....

cheers
    Neil

Last edited by neilk; 10-09-2017, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Art
      what servos did you pick for the ailerons? I'm thinking 9g class micro servos with meta gears, Don't need a lot of torque maybe
      at most 1.4Kg.cm (20oz.in).
      cheers
      Neil
      Last edited by neilk; 10-16-2017, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6572.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	20537 so here is my first wing. had some warping issues after taking off board but steaming and pinning seems to be helping. Art, for your aileron servos, did you attempt to make the servo rod parallel with the aileron or just accept the small angle differential with the line of the ribs. I'm playing around with a HobbyKIng servo cover for the servos but may still make my own...They are a bit big for the 9g servo but I like the aerodynamic rod cover :-)

Comment

well it took just about as long to make the aileron hatch (my first one - modelled on Art's) as the rest of the wing !! You can see I have run the wires under the sheeting. I am assuming the wires will never fail but I may need to replace a servo which is removable. This was very fiddly (unlike everything else ha ha). My hatch was not quite flat with the sheeting so I had to sand it down a little (those brown streaks are the ply glue layer I think). Im pretty happy with my new Z-bending pliers ! Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6588.JPG Views:	1 Size:	39.2 KB ID:	21001
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6589.JPG Views:	1 Size:	27.8 KB ID:	21002

Comment

• ARUP
            ARUP commented
            Editing a comment
            Another Cirrus to join the fun! Nice!

Neil, sorry for not replying but I haven't been on the forum in a while and I wasn't getting the usual email notices. Your set up looks good to me. As far as throws go, I set up my control surfaces for maximum throw within the mechanical limits. I then setup dual rates for 100% and 50% throws for the maiden. I then adjust as necessary from there.

Comment

hey art - no worries. I'm taking break repairing an old model I recently acquired, and then I'll get on with the next wing. I hope it goes faster and the error rate declines !!

Comment

Where can I get a fiberglass fuselage for a Graupner Cirrus? I built one in the early 70s and want to re build one.
              Rich Taylor

Comment

• ingrahal
                ingrahal commented
                Editing a comment
                We got ours from a guy in Florida but I don't think he's doing it anymore. Larry tried to contact him a while back with no response. We just got lucky and found the right guy at the right time.

Finally, I have two wings ! Now for the hated covering job....

Also, interested in how people arrange the connection of the wires coming in from the wings
              through to the receiver. Think I have to top out my current servo mounts (no way past them....)

Comment

• ARUP
                ARUP commented
                Editing a comment
                Your wings look great! I use an extension from receiver to wing roots then just connect wing servo extensions from there. Is that what you're asking?

• ingrahal
                ingrahal commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah what Michael said. I use a servo extension from the Rx out through a hole in the fuse where the wing mates up. Then connect that to the extension from the servo coming through the root rib and aligns with the hole in the fuse. I connect the two as I slide the wing on the fuse and tuck the wire into the fuse. I used to use fixed connectors epoxied in place that mated as you slid home on the fuse but they would always wear and eventually get bad connections. Connecting the servo extensions and tucking the wires inside has never failed me yet.

Neil PM'd me with this question so I posting it here for all to see.

neilk Today, 06:26 PM
              Art - if you have a moment, I'd like to see how you routed the writing from the wring root rib down through the fuse and to you're receiver.... It's tricky and I'm sure there are clever tricks/devices I should be considering !
              thanks
              Neil

No it's actually very simple with my fiberglass fuselage. Are you dealing with the original plastic fuselage?

Name:	640IMG_4646resize.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	26141

Name:	640IMG_4647resize.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	26142

Attached Files

Comment

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	26145 hi Art - yes I have the ABS plastic fuse. I have routed the wires under the leading edge sheeting ahead of the spar (different to you). So I will need a new hole in the fuse on the nose side of the forward wing rod hole. Here is how my cabin looks (note the pushrods are not in flexible tubes like yours and cannot be as I can't install after the fact) - the interior joining dowel is at about the same height as the wires will come in (it is forward of the wires). so I need to stop the wires from fouling the servos. This is the 'tucking the wires in' part that you describe. I'll do some more staring....

My receiver is currently located forward of the servos in the next chamber.

cheers
                Neil
                Last edited by neilk; 05-21-2018, 06:12 AM.

Comment

I would glue in a plywood tray just above the control rods to keep the servo wires off the rods. Bring your servo extensions for the wings under the elevator and rudder servos and secure them to the support dowel with zip ties and route them out the holes you will drill in the fuselage. Then you can tuck them into the fuse when attaching the wings and the wires will lay on the plywood tray. I noticed your servo wires coming out of the wings are quite long. I would shorten them so there's not so much to deal with.

Comment

mm thanks art, i'll do some mocking up. yes the leads were long because I really didn't what methodology I was going to be using !

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	43.6 KB ID:	26365Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	72.3 KB ID:	26366Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	73.3 KB ID:	26367 ok here we are. 1mm ply tray glued in (epoxy) - it sits on a rounded ledge that Grapuner have conveniently supplied !

All wires bundled to the right and cable tied to the dowel (don't think they are going anywhere). slots cut in the front of the fuselage
                      for the wires from the wings ( by some miracle I seem to have them in the correct place).

So left to do is to shorten the wires form the wings, and then cover them (not my favourite job).

Thanks for the advice Art - it is a good solution
                      Last edited by neilk; 05-28-2018, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Good job Neil!!! That should work.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	73.6 KB ID:	26474 In contemplating covering the wings (yuck), I concluded that around the spoilers I was not going to have any wood for the shrink film to hang on to. So I added this bit of fairing around the spoiler. I will cover over the spoiler and then cut the shape out. Art, did you do something like this in the end ? I note the metal flange on your spoilers is a bit wider than mine, perhaps you were able to get the covering to stick to that, but I don't have enough, and I didn't think metal would be a good substrate.
                          Last edited by neilk; 06-01-2018, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X