H Model 40% Duo Discus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H Model 40% Duo Discus

I am very fortunate to have had the opportunity to purchase a H Model 40% (1:2.5 scale) Duo Discus with a 8m wingspan. This model was produced by H Model (Radim Horky) several years ago now, about 2007 if I remember correctly.

I became aware this airframe was on the east coast last winter. Having built 2 other models by H Model I knew that I really wanted to buy this if at all possible. After several months of hoping and pleading I was able to convince the owner to consider selling it to me........which I should mention he did very reluctantly. It is no longer produced, so having the chance to have this in my collection is great.

Radim Hork (H Model) produces incredible sailplanes. The workmanship is excellent and the scale detailing is very good.

I think this particular airframe was originally completed in 2007. The original build of this airframe is excellent and it is obvious the original builder put great effort and thought into the work and choice of equipment. The control surface linkages on the wings are all internal, keeping the wing surface and airfoil very clean. All of servos and surfaces are very well set up. The servos that are installed are a mixture of the top end Hitec and JR digitals that were available at the time of the build.

I am considering updating some of the servos in the airframe with either JR 8711 or JR 8717 servos. The 8711 are high torque, somewhere in the range of 350 to 400 in/oz of torque. The 8717 are the high speed servos with a torque of about 200 in/oz. I think Radim had recommended the Hitec servos as they have a higher torque rate about 330 in/oz.

I will be setting up the sailplane with 2 JR dmss receivers tied into a JR Duo Xport, with a capacity of 14 servos, Power regulation is via a PowerBox BaseLog to set the voltage output at 5.9v using a pair of Duralite Lithium Ion 5200 mAh battery packs.

I started some of the preliminary work tonight be removing the some of the wiring and extra electronics in the fuselage to have a better view of the the connections to all the controls and functions of the model.

I also pulled out the instrument panels in the front and rear so that I can produce new instruments. The panels look great, but because it has been several years the printed paper backs have warped slightly due to temperature and humidity changes. To make the replacement printed paper instruments I used the originals and scanned them at a high resolution and then did some touch up work in PhotoShop to make sure of consistency between the various indicator dials. The panel was then printed on a color laser printer and the resulting paper panel is then glued to very thin ply using contact cement. The new panel and the ply plate are carefully cut after the glue had set and then will be placed behind the instrument face. I'll use either acetate sheet or packing tap over the paper face to simulate the glass instrument covers.

I will have Callie of Callie Graphics make the registration number, tail lettering, and any other graphics work needed of this airframe.

Pictures will posted soon of the progress
    Last edited by BobM; 05-26-2016, 02:05 PM.

Bob... you will need an even bigger trailer! Can't wait to see the pics!

Comment

Another sailplane that graced the sky at this years Horizon Aerotow. Nice ship Bob!

Tim

Comment

Thanks Tim !

What a wonderful sailplane. I am sorry I haven't shared much, it was hectic getting everything completed and packed for the Horizon Aerotow and the trip out to Illinois.

The Duo Discus came to me in absolutely pristine condition......the craftsmanship of the original build/install is excellent...I am not sure that describes the extremely high quality of the work well enough to be honest. Again, I have to share that I am very fortunate to have this airframe and I am grateful to all that have made it possible.

The servos all are very well chosen, providing more than enough torque for all the surfaces and functions, as well as being very precise. The installation of all the servos and connections are really outstanding in all respects......very smooth and precise movement of all control surfaces with any input from the controls.

In the end I did very little to the sailplane other than I made new wiring harnesses for the wing connections to my receiver and replaced the graphics. A final balance and added some lead strips to make sure the cg was about right. I decided on a Norwegian registration for this airframe as my wife is half Norwegian: LN-GRL......nicknamed "The Norwegian Girl". The call letters on the tail and underside of the wing are "RM" for my initials.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Duo Discus X.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	10819

Here are a couple pictures of the electronics:

The first is the BaseLog power regulator I use with dual Duralite 5200 mAh Lithium Ion batteries. There are 2 receivers with satellites and the altimeter also shown in this photo. The receivers are hidden under the white floor panel with the diversity antennas peeking out on the sides of the fuselage.

Name:	BaseLog Regulator in Duo Discus X.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	10817

The second picture below is the Xport Duo for the JR DMSS system that I use for my radio. It has the ability to have 14 channels directly plugged in as well as the JR XBus system to add as many additional channels as desired. The Duo Discus X uses 13 channels at this point. It is tied into 2 receivers with satellites and a variometer/altimeter.

I labeled all the wiring with heat shrink labels made by a Dymo 5200 labeler, it helps to keep track of the function and the channel assigned for each function.

The circuit board device to the left of the Xport Duo is an Emcotec OCP (Over Current Protection). This is tied into the retract servo and servos to cut off any power or battery use by the retract servo should the current be higher than normal use. The base current level is programmed in and the OCP allows a current slightly higher than this, but if it exceeds the normal levels it prevents any drain on the batteries by the servo by shutting it down. There is programming that allows the servo to be retried after a small time interval as well, again checking the current draw and shutting it down if exceeds the normal level set.

Name:	Xport Duo in Duo Discus X.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	10818

The Duo Discus X flies very well and is magnificent in the air, it has a real presence with its size. Stephane was able to capture some wonderful shots of it, I think there are links in the thread for the Horizon Aerotow event.

I was able to borrow a couple of 40% pilots for the event......many thanks ! Mine are on the way and should be here soon to find a home in the Duo Discus X in the very near future.

Here is a picture I took at the Horizon Aerotow on Saturday

Name:	_DSC6273.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	10820

I will add a few more photos when I have the chance to get them uploaded here in the next couple days.

Bob
        Last edited by BobM; 06-21-2016, 08:00 PM.

Comment

What a beautiful sailplane! It was really something to see. Thanks for letting me watch over your shoulder!!!

Comment

Here are a few recent photographs of the Duo Discus X taken at the Black Dirt rc club in Goshen, NY las weekend. I had a chance to get a few flights with it on Sunday. Very enjoyable to fly in all respects. Custom markings by Callie Graphics and pilots are from Axel Pfannmüller.

Name:	_DSC6838.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	13502 Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC6858.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	13504

Name:	_DSC6828.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	13501 Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC6853.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	13503

Name:	_DSC6860.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	13505

Comment

You do nice work Bob!!

Comment

I bet that flies wonderfully. Great looking ship Bob!

Comment

I am the new owner of that Duo and love it!

Short video of the Duo Discus enjoying some air time during the sky high aerotow

enjoy!

Stéphane
                  Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

Working...
                  X