Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IGC reader

GPS racing is fun!

What is also fun is exporting his flight to and IGC format and reviewing it,

For that purpose I found an awesome website, www.soaringlab.eu.
    you can load you igc files for free and replay them in 2D or 3D

see the video of one of my flight in Cumberland, 10 laps

Stéphane
    Horizon Hobby Team Member

way cool Stephane...good to see the mountain that way too....If you know anyone who has the T3000 and needed extras for sale used at decent price...let me know....thanks Matt

Might wait for the new line of stuff otherwise that Pete was talking about

Comment

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      Pretty cool to see! Thanks for posting.

Great to see it, something I'll need to do also.

Good luck with finding one Matt.

Len
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

You can also import the IGC file and task file to the SkyNavigator app and replay the flight there. That display is much more useful. SkyNavigator is no longer supported but is very stable. It is available for free on the Play Store. An even more useful app/program is SeeYou but it is very expensive. But I think you can use it for free for a limited time and/or number of runs. If you use the RC Electronics program RC Data Manager to download the file from the Multi2 you can select from several different file types.

Rick Shelby
      Team Horizon

Comment

The T3000 system is no longer available. It has been replaced by a much more advanced system that has just now become available to the public. John Ellias, Dean Gradwell and I have been beta testers of this system since last September. The hardware is much more advanced as you would expect with the pace of electronic sensor technology these days. The display is on an Android device and looks similar to SkyNavigator but it has many very significant improvements. The 2 most significant at the moment are the addition of real airspeed (not derived from GPS position) and stereo sound that guides you around the course. If the sound is in your right ear you need to veer right to be on course. If it is in you left ear you need to veer left. If both ears then keep flying straight. It is incredibly intuitive and useful.

Reading the manuals on the website linked in the prior post will provide a good overview of the features. The manuals are not long and not overly technical. I am the original USA dealer for RC Electronics and have developed a package that includes everything you need to use the system. It is essentially plug and play when you receive it. You will have to install the plumbing for the airspeed pitot tube and/or TEK probe if your plane does not already have it. The complete system is $1200 plus your Android device of choice. There are good devices available for $100 if you don't already have one. I am using a Dragontouch V10 tablet and John and Dean use the Motorola Moto 6 phone. For comparison, the original SkyNavigator system cost $1500 about 10 years ago.
        Rick Shelby
        Team Horizon

Comment

thanks much Rick. I will read through that some more to get handle on it all and what is all needed......is there a link for the "full package" purchase of all needed items ...to check out. or did I miss it?

Matt

Comment

The complete system I mentioned in my post is something I put together myself to make it easier for my customers to get started. The package includes:
            Raven which comes with the GPS receiver
            Snipe which comes with the needed cord to connect to the Android device
            License key for Albatross app
            Any "Y" or "T" fittings needed

I do all the setup so the Raven and Snipe communicate with each other and I obtain the license key for Albatross. I also create and apply labels to the Raven and Snipe where everything plugs in.

This system has 2 available methods to compensate the vario. A standard TEK probe or electronic compensation using only a pitot tube with a separate static source. In some planes the static source can just be the air pressure in the cockpit. Both methods are adjustable from within the Albatross app. I believe the Raven manual explains this fairly well. For a pitot tube I am just using the brass tube that I installed previously for the TEK probe of the T3000 system. There is a sweet looking stainless steel pitot tube on the website. I have some arriving any day now and will give my opinion of them when they get here.

Another slightly larger option for a pitot tube with an integrated static source is available from Spektrum (SPMA9588). It has an OD of about 4mm whereas the RC Electronics tube should be 2.5mm. I can supply the Spektrum tube if needed although I see they are on backorder at the moment. I have a couple in my stash though.

If you want to use a TEK probe that is an additional $50. Most people already have one for the vario they are using now.
            If you need a full set of tubing for the TEK probe and/or pitot tube that is $30. As above most people already have that installed and only need the "Y" or "T" connectors. You may notice that my price for the tubing set is less than what is shown on the website. I have sourced all the components here in the US and cut the parts to length myself. I just don't feel good about charging the website price for that set.

The only other thing you would need is an Android device for the display. I suppose I could supply that as well if needed for approximately $100.

So to sum up:
            My standard R/S package $1200
            TEK probe 50
            Complete tubing set 30
            Android device 100?

Rick Shelby
            Team Horizon

Comment

Originally posted by hello82 View Post
              way cool Stephane...good to see the mountain that way too....If you know anyone who has the T3000 and needed extras for sale used at decent price...let me know....thanks Matt

Might wait for the new line of stuff otherwise that Pete was talking about
              Hi Matt,

Mike Smith here. I have a T3000 set up if you are still interested.

You can email me at : Mike (at) themapsmith (dot) com since I don't check forums on a regular basis.

Comment

Thanks Rick and Mike

i appreciate the full write up of all you are offering Rick . I look forward to checking the new system out down the road . In the meantime I will try out the used older system for learning . I am not competing , just to use at fields with friends . Thanks for all the cool stuff for soaring .

Look forward to new GPS adventures in the sky with an Antares .

Matt

Comment

Hey Stephane, Rick , Mike, Len or any else reading this in the know

Have some flights now on my T3000 at Cumberland and was trying to download the files to the soaring site you tried Stephane to see what they looked like....I plugged the T3000 file into a card reader and plugged it into my laptop...I go to the soaring lab site where I have registered and go to download flights....this opens up to my files and this is what I see below????

there are no flights at all in the fight folder ? or anywhere else I can see... or anything called IGC or anything in task folder that looks correct as a flight. etc

Please let me know if you can tell what I'm doing wrong....do not see the t3000 flights in my logbook anywhere on the file when on computer

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_17635.png
Views:	2407
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	44275

Name:	image_17634.png
Views:	2498
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	44276

Name:	image_17636.jpg
Views:	2263
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	44278

thanks Matt
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by hello82; 04-05-2021, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Matt,

What version of the firmware are you using? if it is not 3.0 (check on the menu of the T3000 INFO), the IGC files are on the onboard unit

Stéphane

Stéphane

Comment

thanks Stephane...it says under info . FW version 2.2a. and HW version. 2.0

So not sure what either of those imply..... so you are saying the files cannot be downloaded then?

.... do you think would I have the same issue if I went to a contest or tried to upload to Triangle.net stats etc ??

I guess I probably need an upgrade of some sort, but is seems I have the latest version when I went to RC electronics.

Also, when I come directly out of the T3000, I see all the folders on the computer, but the flight folder itself has nothing in it. If I come directly out of the Multi 2 Unit in the sailplane, nothing at all even shows up on the computer, not even empty folders.

Does the computer have to be a PC? I have a MAC. Maybe thats the issue. I Know some flight simulators etc only work on PC

thanks for your help

PS: I'll try next what Rick suggested back in the 2019 post....

"You can also import the IGC file and task file to the SkyNavigator app and replay the flight there. That display is much more useful. SkyNavigator is no longer supported but is very stable. It is available for free on the Play Store. An even more useful app/program is SeeYou but it is very expensive. But I think you can use it for free for a limited time and/or number of runs. If you use the RC Electronics program RC Data Manager to download the file from the Multi2 you can select from several different file types."
                      Last edited by hello82; 04-11-2021, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Matt,

you need an upgrade, follow the link :

if you have not that version you won't be able to post result on the website

As stated, for your version the IGC file is not in the T3000, you need the V3 version

Stéphane
                        Stéphane

Comment

thank you very much Stephane, will update that! I went to the site a few days ago and checked under firmware heading, and it says the latest version is 2.0, ....from the way I understood it in this list, so I was scratching my head a bit. lol

Name:	image_17687.png
Views:	213
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	44369

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 1.16.56 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	82.4 KB ID:	44370

Comment

I found this online viewer. https://igcviewer.bgaladder.net/

I had one log flight that crashed Albatross on my phone. Total hang. Only way to do anything was a hard restart on the phone. There was a file in the Albatross -> Flights -> CumberlandS directory but the flight did not appear in the log book on Albatross. It appears that part of that file was lost.

I pulled out the memory card on my Swift. The IGC file names are different than in Albatross because some stuff is added to the Albatross logs. It is in the Flights directory on that card. I was curious about the laps so I focused on the final turn point and counted the total number of lines in and out of that turn, divide by 2 and you have the number of laps if you know you finished the course from there.

Comment

Working...
                            X