Multiplex Heron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiplex Heron

Just wondering if I could get any opinions and/or experiences any of you may have had with the Heron. I have looked around on the web and read some reviews, and I was thinking about picking one up to get back into the swing of things. The last foam ship I had was a Cularis set up for aerotowing. Any feedback would be most helpful.

Cheers,
    Bryan

I have both, I like the Cularis assembly with the auto connection. The Heron is harder to assemble. The Heron does not have as much energy retention as the Cularis. But all around the Heron is fun and that's what we are looking for. Right?
    Jim

Comment

Thanks Jim. Yep, its all about pegging out the fun meter. I really enjoyed the Cularis. I kind of regret selling it, but it looks like there are some other fun options out there.

Comment

I picked up a Heron a few weeks ago just because I liked it's looks. Mine is the RR version completely built and with electic power. I'm enjoying it, no problem keeping it up if there's any lift at all. It flies more like a moldie than foam, very solid and no flapping wings like with my Parkzone Ka8. Seems to handle speed well too but I haven't pushed it too hard. It weighs the same as my friends new 4 meter Explorer, so I don't consider it a floater. I had to monkey with the flap horns to get decent deflection, and I'm not wild about the servos that came with it, but all in all a very well thought out plane. I like the clever wing retaining system, but it is a bit fiddley to get 4 servos plugged in and mate the spars in the joiner box.

I installed a tow release and have successfully towed it with a FunCub, but it's a load.

I'm having fun with it and will take it up to SERA at Mac Hodges field next month and we'll see what the more experienced types think of it.

Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave. Hopefully I'll see you at Mac's place.

Comment

The Cularis was a smash hit. I was sad to see MPX move away from that glider. It flew superb, could be disassembled in minutes, had auto hook ups and did I mention it flew great?

There is one listed on another R/C site by a friend of mine in pure glider form for a decent price. It's brand new. I bought his electric version as I had a fly away with mine and it's never been found to date. I miss that glider and had to replace it. They are unobtainium.

Tim

Comment

Tim,

Agreed. It is a great flying model for sure. I learned aerotowing with it. It would be nice if it were still in production.

Bryan

Comment

I have an Electric and an Aerotow Cularis version, if you want me to bring them to SERA let me know, they are great to teach aerotowing and mine will fit right back into the box in minutes with to tools needed

Jeremy and Ben
                SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

He who brings the most planes to SERA wins. I'm sure I read that somewhere. I wouldn't complain a bit if you brought them!

Comment

Picked up a Heron (kit version) and I was just wondering if I might get some suggestions for a motor/ESC/prop setup.

Comment

My buddy just picked up the kit version as well, I flew it last month and it was a blast. I'll check what set up he put in it. Plenty of power.

Comment

The Cobra C-2820/12 ... 970kv. Go with a 60 amp esc with BEC as well. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the info. Just started working on the plane today. I'll look into that motor.

Comment

Working...
                          X