Technically I would suppose I'm a beginner. Since 1985 I have been scratch building and building kits of scale war birds and jets. I started with slope soaring but as they close hills around LA where I lived I became more and more involved with flying fast stuff and making EDF jet kits and more. Flash forward my late wife of 33 years passed away from cancer in 2013. Later on I met an amazing woman who lives in beautiful Ventura California and I move there from LA for a different pace of life.

After working in the film business as a creature effects artist, model maker, prop maker and more I was glad to leave that all behind and live by the sea with Mary. I opened a film studio in Ventura where we both make our art and still we do some movie work, but now I have 2000 sq, feet of shop space like never before.

I for awhile my favorite hobby of flying was neglected and the planes I had where not what I preferred anymore. Like my slower paced life I wanted to relax in the hobby and soar, not keep a brick in the air under power anymore.

I found the plans to an Aquila Grande, I feel in love with the idea of flying the slope in peace once more. I scratch built the plane from plans making every single part by hand, even the vacuum formed canopy.
Then I flew the beautiful plane and I was hooked. I soon thereafter sold all my EDF jets and war planes and started making more gliders, buying more gliders, Joined the Thousand Oaks Flying Society. I'm pleasantly gone soaring crazy.

I took up DLG gliders too. EP gliders and of course slope. But now I'm on the big Towing adventure and winch. I haven't done either and I reading and watching everything I can on the subject.

Scale has always been my first love. The other day I picked up a new in the box Ka8 that was sitting on the self of my local hobby shop on consignment from an estate sale. I thought it must be divine providence under the circumstances. After building from scratch a 96 span Sinbad I needed a brake and it would be good for my first scale air tow bird.
I was on face book which I only use for the hobby, other than that I find the place a huge bore and waste of time. But I’ve been on the RC Universe and then I discovered Scale Soaring and here I am.
I’m hoping to get advice and meet new friends. Join events around the country and build something 4 meter next year.
To see more of our studio take the video tour on my site: www.steveneillsgarage.com