Novice - Looking For Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novice - Looking For Help

As a teenager I flew RC planes regularly, about 2 years ago I wanted to get back involved and bought a simulator. I fly the simulator a few times a week and last year when I went to the local airfield I had no issues flying the trainer. A scale sailplane is what I really want. What path should I take to get there? A season with a 2m? Or.......

Also I live in Saratoga Springs, NY - any local mentor that could be recommended.

good evening

my recommendation would be flying an electric sailplane with ailerons (to maximize the time you can fly this season) , rudder and elevator. and move after to a Scale sailplane.

Other option if you find someone to tow you in your area would be to start with a 3.5 Ka8 from phoenix model, seems to be quite a nice flier with some mods, fly slow and has good controls.

Stéphane

Stéphane
    Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forums,
      We have a member who lives in the Albany area I believe, he just started flying with us late last fall and has amassed a nice collection of planes already. I'm sure he will jump on here and perhaps he can be someone to help out in that area. He is putting together a tow plane at the moment.

I agree with Stephane ( imagine that?) Starting with something in the 3.4- 4m range will suite you far better than smaller planes. ( unless you are talking about an EZ glider or Cularis, etc. But as for scale ships, stay as far away from any glass ship under 4m in my opinion.
      I have seen more guys get discouraged from the poor flying characteristics of those cheap gliders than you can imagine. To produce a scale sailplane, and make it look good and have the features expected ( Ail, EL, Rudder, spoilers, Etc, it takes WEIGHT. Those small planes can NOT handle the extra weight, therefore they fly like crap.
      Invest in a good 4m sailplane when you are ready for a scale ship and you will not be disappointed and success will find YOU.

LEN
      Len Buffinton
      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• Mosquito
        Mosquito commented
        Editing a comment
        A first time for everything Len.

Thank you gentleman. That is wonderful to hear that there is someone local in Albany who may be willing to help me. I understand the importance of learning on the right equipment, I remember how much easier my size 90 trainer was to fly over my Freedom 20.

I had come across the Phoenix models - I had looked at the 6m Phoenix Ka-8 with the thought of putting a motor in the front. That way I can buddy box it, go around and fly it without a tow - make it more of a fun fly airplane before I went with something bigger/more advance. Thoughts.

I am trying to make it out to the fly-in in CT - I go to school locally so I can likely kill two birds with one stone and get stuff done.

Comment

I am in Johnstown, NY. I would be glad to show you what I have learned from a great bunch of guys. I have a few sailplanes you can look at also. PM me for contact information.
        Ed

Comment

That KA6 is not a very strong airplane.
          Len Buffinton
          Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

I'm some what new to scale aero tow as well, but have been flying gliders exclusively for more decades than I care to say. My thoughts are the same as what has been said above. Might be wise to start with a simple REM (rudder, elevator, motor) electric glider to develop your flying skills first.

From what one of my friends has told me the 6 meter Ka-8b from Pheonix would not be a good choice as a first scale glider. He has one and his brother does as well and they both had to do extensive modifications to the model. Plus, they are very hard to come by on this side of the big pond.

That same friend also has a 3.5 meter Ka-8b as Stephane recommended. Last year that same friend recommended it to me after having multiple problems with my Blanik. I have since purchased one and had a successful maiden day with it recently. After making some simple modifications to it I found it to be a nice flying thermal ship. On it's fifth flight that day my flight was in excess of ten minutes with a short tow when the tow plane engine quit. BTW, another flier in our local group has one and likes his as well. To top it off it is quite affordable. I found the speed range to be larger than I expected...mine weighs 9 lb. 3 oz. set up for tow only.

Here's link to a long thread on the model on RCGroups. The most important mod is to adjust the horizontal incidence (5/16" shim under the LE on mine) and start with the CG at the stock 80 mm. Welcome to the addiction.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...oenix-K8B-3500
            Mark

Comment

Hey there. Welcome to Scale Soaring. This is the most fun you will ever have in RC!

My Dad and I are located in the Elmira/Corning area. We have 2 fields we fly at in Corning and Hammondsport. We have several tow planes and gliders between us and more club members getting into soaring. You'd be welcome to come down and fly with us anytime we go out. I have a Cularis you can get started on until you decide what you want to get for yourself. Welcome to the addiction.
              Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

The Cularis is a fantastic flying glider and a great way to get comfortable on the "sticks". I, and many others, keep a Cularis (or similar large foamy) in our quivers for those days that we just want to toss something into the sky and fly. I would recommend one with the motor, it can climb out on it's own but can also be towed. They are actually great on the slope as well. Our club has also started many new fliers on aerotow with Cularis type ships.

Welcome to the group and get ready for the ride!

Tim

Comment

Also, if you want to pick up your own Cularis, they're discontinued but I know where one is still available NIB
                  Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

• Swiss1
                    Swiss1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Where is that Kevin?

Originally posted by Sinkhappens86 View Post
                  Also, if you want to pick up your own Cularis, they're discontinued but I know where one is still available NIB
                  Please do share - I will pick one up!

Comment

• Mosquito
                    Mosquito commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I've owned two of them and I love the Cularis. At our event last year, we set up a simple velcro "tow hook" and towed him up behind a large electric cub and he had an awesome flight. You won't regret it. I don't know why Multiplex quit making them.

The 6 meter KA-8 is not a good first model......with that said....if you’re willing to modify it.....quite extensively it is a fantastic flying airframe.......but it needs substantial wing modifications....ie: you have to add spars to the wings.....it does have any from the factory.....and you have to reinforce the whole front end of the fuse.....all of the formers are weak. Once that work is done it becomes a great flying machine!
                  Last edited by Tom; 04-06-2018, 12:12 PM.
                  TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                    The 6 meter KA-6 is not a good first model......with that said....if you’re willing to modify it.....quite extensively it is a fantastic flying airframe.......but it needs substantial wing modifications....ie: you have to add spars to the wings.....it does have any from the factory.....and you have to reinforce the whole front end of the fuse.....all of the formers are weak. Once that work is done it becomes a great flying machine!
                    The for sale section here looks more attractive each day!

Comment

Isn't that called scratch building
                      Len Buffinton
                      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by lenb View Post
                        Isn't that called scratch building
                        Nope......far from it!
                        TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

Working...
                        X