Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asw20

Hello everyone!
    I am new to this forum and hope I am posting this in the correct category.
    John Schroder and I are putting together a ASW20 from Horizon Hobby and are having some trouble getting the rudder to fit correctly to the fuselage. Because of this the geometry is wrong as well causing it to bind. From the looks of things I believe the holes were drilled wrong in the rudder for the hinges. Has anyone else had this issue? Also, where exactly is your hinge line suppose to be?
    Thanks for any suggestions
    David

Hi David, sorry that I don't have pictures, but will attempt to describe what we discovered building our ASW-20 two years ago.

The rudder is hinged with Robart style hinge points. If these hinges are pushed all the way into the pre-drilled holes in the fin...and then the rudder is pushed onto the hinges, the rudder will bind and have limited movement.

If you look very closely at the photo in the instruction manual, you can see that the horizontal slots in the rudder are visible (equally at each hinge location). If the rudder hinges are installed as described above, these horizontal slots will be progressively less visible going toward the bottom of the rudder.

We inserted the top hinge into the fin post as customary, but each hinge going toward the bottom was allowed to extend out from the fin post so that once the rudder was installed, the horizontal slots would be visible as in the picture in the manual. This allowed the rudder to have a full range of movement side-to-side without binding.

Hope this helps!
    JimD
    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

David, PM me and I'll send or e-mail what I did for mine. A picture will be easier than describing. I didn't use the Robart hinges. I used phenolic sheet to make hinges. Mine has a long hinge pin that allows the rudder to be removed. Cheers, Michael

Comment

Working...
      X