Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Receivers "Power Safe" for "Sailplanes"

Gentlemen...uh emmm..,

I've been lurking for a couple years and this is my first post on this forum.

I'm not a "newb" to RC but I am getting back into sailplanes after many years away and I've seen and read a bit about folks using the new "Power Safe" receivers. I can't tell if there is any purpose or increased redundancy for a "sailplane". I'm not interested in motor gliders with high amp draws where there is a definite safety feature. I can't see a reason for a "power safe" receiver for a pure sailplane. Am I missing something?

Hi Bryan,
    Welcome to the light.
    Powersafe receivers are a great way to offer battery redundancy along with plenty of electrons. Since you need weight in the nose of a sailplane anyway, you might was well use batteries for weight, the powersafe gives you a way to add a couple 5000 Mah packs and not have all the juice running through the receiver, it goes to a power bus inside the case. The receivers are the sats.

Since it really depends on the size of the sailplane and the amount of servos you're running, it really up to you whether you see a need. Rule of thumb has always been to add the batteries.

Len
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

There is something to be said for having enough battery capacity on board that you only have to charge the sailplane once for a 4 day event. The Power Safe receivers let me do that and I really find it an advantage over the tow plane that I have to recharge once a day or more when at an aerotow. It also depends greatly on what airplane and servos you are using. Tightly centered digital servos will use a lot more than analog servos just "resting" and if the airframe is a high performance sailplane where the servos have to hold center against flutter forces, you can use a good amount of capacity. So are the necessary, not so much but they are a very nice to have. The high capacity also completely removes any concerns when conditions arise that the lift is outstanding and the opportunity is present for hour or multiple hour flights.

Comment

There is also the argument that a standard 3 pin connector is good for somewhere around 3 amps. A couple of digital servos will draw that quickly. So the higher current connectors on the power safe receivers could make a significant difference.

Comment

Len, The info on the physical arrangement/construction of a power safe receiver is the info I was missing.

The amp draw is one thing I was a little concerned about. My first new Sailplane will be the H9 ASW20 with HV servos with voltage regulators for SB and gear. I had thought about running dual LiPo's in parallel with a Y-connector into a single servo plug but then thought IF one battery fails it would also take the other with it. Not that it's very likely but I guess erring on the side of caution is always a good thing. Our "standard" flying field is surrounded by detention ponds and close to populated areas. I'm not as concerned about loosing a plane as I am about potential damage/injury if it comes down uncontrolled.

Thank you all for your thoughts and information.
          BB

Comment

Working...
          X