Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tow loop etiquette

Ok guys,

So I was at Cumberland and of course I forgot the tow loops that I had made up for the trip so I'm thinking "what do I do now?"
    Len came to the rescue and produced one from his pocket, so all was good in the universe for the first flight.
    He told me to take the previous tow-ees loop off and put it in my pocket to use later.

So just what is the proper tow loop etiquette at an aerotow event like Cumberland?
    I did see Jim putting some of the loops onto the flight line pole he had there.
    Is that where you get the loops from for your next flight?
    Do I make a bunch to keep in my pocket?

This is just one of those things that doesn't get mentioned too much....

Regards,
    Blake

Click image for larger version

Name:	059-IMG_0195_MM.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	12076

While as event organizers we always (or always should) have many many loops available for our participants, "proper etiquette" is for each pilot to bring a supply for their own use. Many people prefer to use their own loops to ensure size, knot type, line strength, etc.

As human nature has it, folks do end up with pockets full when they return home. It's always interesting for me to have an event with 40 flyers and go through 150 brand new tow loops. ;-)

Steve

PS... our tow pilots go through a large number of heavy duty snap swivels in the course of a multi-day event. It's always nice for folks and event organizers to have some spares. And, donating some tow line is a nice gesture. Tow pilots contribute their time, stress their equipment and burn their gas. They deserve all the support we can give.
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Tow line of the braided nylon seine type construction tends to start knotting up after about 100 uses. Once this becomes too aggravating, a new tow line is put into use. The old knotted line will clutter up space in your tool box, trailer, vehicle, garage, and elsewhere around your shop. The stuff never goes away! You tell yourself that it can be repurposed somehow and therefore don't throw it away.

Now, this brings me to the subject of tow loops. Tow loops are made from the same type of braided nylon seine twine as tow line. I have made dozens of tow loops prior to and during events over time and have concluded that when you tie this twine into small loops it will disintegrate into an invisible dust within 2 hours or less.

Although I have not witnessed this in real time, anyone who has been around aero towing for any length of time can verify that this is true!

So...I have concluded that one way to finally dispose of old tow lines is to cut them up and make them it into tow loops...voilà...gone!
      A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

I agree with Steve on this, it seems like the host of the event usually provides a bunch of tow loops to get things started. Most are made from a nice material, not Mason Line, which tends to be a really pain to insert into the tow release of the larger ships and cuts easy.
        At the Horizon event, they make up different size tow loops, some for smaller planes and some for larger planes. Over the years we've been able to acquire small bags of tow loops which we donate to events across the country.
        So to answer the question, always have one or two in you're pocket, and if you forget to leave them when you depart the event, bring them to the next one and donate them there.

Len
        Len Buffinton
        Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Yeah....I don't care for the mason line tow loops or any of the nylon type lines for that matter...they are too limp. It is not stiff enough to slide into my tow release and tends to wad up in the tip, instead of feeding down the barrel of the release. I use a fishing leader line that is very waxy and stiff. Because it is waxy you do need to tie a better knot in it though. It is similar to the fluorescent line that Asher had at SERA to make loops out of.

If you don't want to make loops, I have found a great way to get them. Go to an event and bring an orange safety cone. Leave the cone on the flight line for a few days and miraculously it will fill up with tow loops of every size, color and weight, then take the cone home with you

Speaking of "etiquette", I find it frustrating when I go out to hook up and the previous pilot did not or could not remove the previous loop/loops from the snap, which just adds their loop to the now tangled mess. Please do your best when you go out to hook up to remove the last loop that was on the snap before you hook your loop into it! Also when you land on the runway, please do not lay on the ground and spend three minutes trying to engage a new loop so you can drag your model of the runway by a leash. A busy runway is not the place to put in a new loop. If your model is too big to pick up, get some help to pick it up or drag it off by it's tail or whatever it takes. On my 1/2 scale KA6, I have scale hook under the nose which I believe is used for ground handling on the full size ship. I can hook my leash up to it without any fiddling around. Unlike my t-tail ship's, if I try to lift up the tail on the KA6 and drag it off by the horizontal stabilizer, the wheel comes off the ground and the nose digs in making it very hard to drag 50 lbs. of model off the runway, so the hook and leash is the quickest way to clear the runway.

Thanks...end of soap box.
          Pete

PS: For almost 20 years I have been bringing a tool box to every event that has material for making loops and tow ropes, including heavy duty snap swivels. I have hardly ever gone to event that I haven't donated at least one snap swivel too
          Last edited by Xroadie; 08-03-2016, 09:10 PM.

Comment

For us new guys, can you tell me what kind of snap swivel to use and where to get them?

-Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by Slappy View Post
              For us new guys, can you tell me what kind of snap swivel to use and where to get them?

-Bryan
              I have used a Size 7, ball bearing swivel that is rated at like 300 pounds, you can get them at Bass Pro Shops and Cabbelas.
              Pete

Comment

We often laugh at how tow loops seem to disappear, so I took to humorous route the first time around.

On a more serious level, most of the time generic tow loops made from Size 24 White Braided Nylon Seine Twine will work well for the vast majority of sailplane tow release mechanisms. A simple overhand knot tied in a piece of line 12-16" long will usually be adequate to make the loop.

A better way to tie the line (but more time consuming) is to take one end of a 12-16" piece of line and tie an overhand knot around the other end of the line. Then, take the free end and tie an overhand knot around the line with it. Now pull the loop so the two knots slide up against each other and you have a very secure loop.

As to etiquette, some small sailplanes and some vintage models have release mechanisms that will not work with these generic loops. Maybe they use mono-filament fishing line, or dial cord, or a specialty shape arrangement. Here is where the tow pilot can be helpful. When such a non-standard loop is used, make a point to retrieve it from the line when the next person hooks up and then return it to the pilot who used it when they land.
                A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

As for swivels with snaps, I bought a lifetime supply of these: http://www.memphisnet.net/product/33...osco-with-snap

If you are towing really big and heavy sailplanes, these might be better, but they are hard on the fingers getting them opened and closed. http://www.memphisnet.net/product/33...osco-with-snap
                  A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Jim,

Links did not go to the swivels. What sizes do you use?

Thanks

Steve K
                    Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Size # 2/0 is the preferred. http://www.memphisnet.net/product/33...osco-with-snap

Size # 4/0 is the heavy duty. http://www.memphisnet.net/product/33...osco-with-snap
                        A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

You guys always come through with good info...

I'm presently hunkered down in the basement making a bunch of tow loops!

Thanks

Blake

Comment

Working...
                          X