Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trainer

Guys,

I have had several people ask me what trainer they should buy. It has been a long time since I built trainers, mine are old. What is the current trainer plane recommendation?

thanks

Steve K
    Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Glider? To be towed? Power? For towing eventually?

So many choices.

Comment

I hear great things about the apprentice

The Apprentice S 15e 1.5m BNF with SAFE by E-flite is a quality built remote controlled airplane. See all our RC product options online at Horizon Hobby!
      Len Buffinton
      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• JimD
        JimD commented
        Editing a comment
        You beat me to it...several years ago we had a new member that wanted to use this plane as his trainer. I was not convinced that a foam electric was a good idea, but the plane proved me wrong. It gave surprisingly long flight times and survived the typical bad landings students make.

Apprentice all the way!
      I've taught several people with zero experience, to fly quite successfully with the Apprentice.
      You can easily get 20 minute flights with the stock battery. That's lots of stick time for a student and he will be ready to land and absorb what he just experienced.
      Parts are easy to get as well.

Blake

Comment

I agree with the Apprentice, you should also consider the new Mini Apprentice it stays aloft for ages!
        And remember we carry both in stock at The Model Box

Jeremy and Ben
        SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

I am currently training a beginner with the new Timber. Once I got him to turn off the gyro it has been fine. It takes a little programming knowledge to get the flap to elevator mix right.
          Same sort of answer about the Apprentice. It is a good trainer but the gyro/safe function makes it difficult for the instructor.

Old school, Multiplex Funcub has been excellent and I think a longer functional life. Many have been converted to tow planes for foamy gliders.

Comment

At the Daytona club we use the E-flite T-28 (which used to be the Parkzone T-28). It does NOT have the gyro/safe function getting in the way of training. It is a very forgiving plane and you have to work pretty hard to stall it. We set the beginner up with low rates and buddy box them.

An added benefit is once they learn to fly, the plane is still fun for advanced pilots. We spin them, knife edge (with some added rudder throw), rolling circles, etc. The plane is so popular there are about 30 of them in the club!

Comment

I am an old school balsa kit builder and here is a thread that I did about my favorite trainer plane that also makes a great tow plane:

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Working...
              X