Aerotowing 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aerotowing 101

I would like to start this thread for everyone like myself who is new to aerotowing. I was thinking that maybe everyone could share some information, advise, and experiences to help some of the new folks get started. We could start with recommendations for an economical beginner sailplane setup and go from there. Let me know what you think.

-Bryan
    Last edited by Slappy; 05-22-2016, 04:23 PM.

Hi Bryan,
    If you can find a MULTIPLEX Cularis. It is very easy to tow and fly. Just keep the wings level and stay just above the Tug. You will be surprised at how easy it is. Its also easy to get in trouble so be ready to release.
    Jim

Comment

Jim,
      Thanks for the reply. My first pure sailplane was a Cularis, and I used it for aerotowing a while back. I'm not sure what I was thinking, but I sold it. You are right, it was very easy to tow and I thought it flew very well. I wish they were still in production. I hear the Easy Glider makes for a good trainer as well. I have a Heron that I am building with a motor and a tow release as a replacement, but I am thinking about putting together an Easy Glider as a pure sailplane to have fun with and introduce others to aerotowing. Maybe I can find a Cularis one of these days. We'll see how the Heron flies.

Comment

Great Idea for a thread!

My 2 cents from a beginner... Avoid aerotowing or be EXTREMELY carefull towing wooden build-up wings.

I've had two wings fold, in three years(FlyFly- DG808s 4m and Fox 3m). Aerotowing can put much more stress on wings, particularly at the top of tows where its very hard to clearly see your plane.

As a result, I have resolved to only aerotow planes with very strong wings.

Comment

• ingrahal
          ingrahal commented
          Editing a comment
          Tom, I too am a beginner but have a very different opinion. I have found that Aerotow is much less stressful on a sailplane than winch or even hi-start launches. After completing a lengthy build on a 1/4 scale 1-26B it was recommended by the most experienced pilots on this forum that Aerotow was the safest way to maiden the plane. It was maidened at Huntsville 2014 and couldn't have been a more gentle launch. Same story with my 1/4 scale Hall Cherokee 1 yr later. At those same events I saw many woodies launched with no problems.

If you are folding wings on tow then either the sailplane is being towed too fast or is being pitched excessively. Keep good communication with the tow pilot and have him increase the angle of climb to slow things down. If you recognize that the sailplane is being stressed then release and don't launch so high that you can't see it clearly. Obviously if you can't see it well then you can't fly it well. If you do find yourself in that situation the best thing is to minimize control inputs and just let the plane fly. Assuming it is trimmed out properly it shouldn't self destruct.

I'm a big proponent of vintage wood and I don't want newbies to think that it's bad to Aerotow built up sailplanes.

Thanks Tom. I have seen a few models flap and flutter as well. It seems that slower tow speeds can help avoid this, but a weak wing design makes for disaster.

Comment

Just thought I would keep the thread going with a little beginner update. I recently purchased a few used gliders just to have something to play with and to introduce my son and others to R/C soaring. I bought a Great Planes Spirit, a Great Planes Fling, and a Tower Hobbies Vista EP. While these are not scale aircraft capable of aerotowing, they are simple, inexpensive, nice flying planes that can help anyone learn the basics of soaring. I bought all three for a grand total of $80 including servos. The Vista EP came with a brushless motor and ESC. Not a bad deal. I took my 10 year old son to the flying field today and introduced him to gliders. He got a little stick time on an old foam Soarstar I had lying around as well as the Vista EP. Both aircraft actually did quite well in the afternoon thermals with the Vista flying for just under 30 minutes. We both had a ball. When we got home he saw my ASW-20 in the workshop and with a big grin asked if he could fly it when it is finished. With an even bigger grin I said, "Absolutely!"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Parker Gliders.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	12780

Comment

The most important thing to remember, towing is a TEAM sport. The "tower" and the "towee" has to communicate. You are not alone now; communication between the two parties involved is important. Tug pilot should inform the gilder pilot when he is turning. Glider pilot should have his/her finger on the tow release and fly high and behind the tug! And keep the wing level, don't turn when the tug turns. Glider turns about 1-2 seconds after the tug initiated his turn.

The rest will come naturally, or someone will pound them into your brain! ;-0

Brian

Comment

Oh boy! I would be in Heaven to get to do what your 10y/o is getting to do! He will remember this forever. What an awesome dad you are!

Comment

Thanks for the posts guys. We got out to the flying field again yesterday for a little more training. We caught some more big thermals and specked out the Vista. We ended the day by launching some model rockets. Good times. After he can fly solo I will introduce him to more advanced gliders and aerotowing. He is eyeballing my Multiplex Heron with great interest. We gotta get the next generation off the Xbox and out to the flying field!

Comment

Working...
                X